Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,544 Posts
Welcome.

Thanks for sharing. Which part number is A and which is C?

I changed the center dash USB panel to this:

I retains the original 12 volts outlet and USB-A, but adds another USB-A, an USB-C and a volt meter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The metal one is usb-a 85532-06010
The usb-c - 85532-08040

I wanted to buy original wireless pad but usually im using carplay

Ps
And that usb-c cost me $10 on ebay)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The usb-c - 85532-08040

Ps
Thanks much.

The USB ports on the back of the center console have door flaps over them. There is a double USB outlets inside the center console that do not have the door flaps over them, part number 85532-42020 or 85532-0R020. Do you know of a USB-c outlet without door flaps to replace the one inside the center console?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks much.

The USB ports on the back of the center console have door flaps over them. There is a double USB outlets inside the center console that do not have the door flaps over them, part number 85532-42020 or 85532-0R020. Do you know of a USB-c outlet without door flaps to replace the one inside the center console?
I think I found it (USB-c without doors). Part number 85532-08050. Unfortunately, it costs a lot more. Best price I found was EBAY for $50.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Awesome write up @McFast. How do you remove/install this? I assume the plastic console comes out? Any suggestions on how to install this without damaging anything?
The install is very easy. Use a trim tool at the top corners of the rear console cover to pull the cover to the rear. The cover will just pop off.

Unplug the wires from the existing USB module. (You may find another wire attached at the bottom of the panel which is used for a 12 volt outlet on lower trim levels:Adding yet another 12 volt outlet). To release the wires, there is a small tab you must push in to release the connector latch.

When the panel is removed and the wires detached, there are four tabs on the rear side of the USB module. Just push them in with your fingers and the module will drop right out. Installation is the reverse.

You can do the same for the USB module inside the console, except the module inside the console does not have doors/lids on it like the rear USB module. Again, easy install: just pop off the panel that the USB module mounts to with a trim tool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A word of caution. The connectors are different on older models. It won't work for my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited without a wiring harness/connector change. USB housing on the left is what comes with the car. USB housing on the right is the USB-C/A housing. The connectors are definitely different.

Camera accessory Gadget Camera Gas Technology

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
39 Posts
Thank you @kdube for sharing that photo. That’s exactly what I was hoping to do with my 2021 Prime - was it difficult to change the wiring harness? Are you swapping all your ports out to USB C? Would love to see more photos if you have a chance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Mattman3933 I need to figure out where to source a wiring harness. I'll try to look this weekend and find a part number. I'm guessing given how close the physical connectors are (they're literally a mirror image with the key on the opposite side), you should be able to pop out the wires out of the connector and not have to bother replacing the harness. Both of them appear to be 2.1a rated per port.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's a comparison of the modules that were in my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Each one has a different connector. View attachment 184890
ok so the top and middle connectors seem to be the same, but the bottom connector is different. Did the metal housing connectors both come from your car, and the plastic is the new USB-C? or did your car exclusively have the bottom connector for both the center console, and rear seat(under the rear vents)? I have a 2020 hybrid XSE that want to do this to, but I want to see what will work first

·
Registered
40 Posts
@brand0ng Yes, the two metal housings came from my vehicle. The one in the middle is from the backseat center console area. The one on the bottom came from inside my center console (drivers area.)

The grey connector is used in the center console.

Electronic device Cable Gadget Rectangle Electronic component
\

The black connector is used in the backseat area.
Window Sleeve Finger Cosmetics Eyelash

I wish I knew the connector name, because I believe they can be swapped out. If I only knew what to purchase. Here's another picture:

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Cable

·
Registered
131 Posts
@brand0ng Yes, the two metal housings came from my vehicle. The one in the middle is from the backseat center console area. The one on the bottom came from inside my center console (drivers area.)

The grey connector is used in the center console.

View attachment 184927 \

The black connector is used in the backseat area.
View attachment 184928

I wish I knew the connector name, because I believe they can be swapped out. If I only knew what to purchase. Here's another picture:

View attachment 184930
Ok so it looks like the center console uses a different part number, and the OP posted the part number for the rear seats replacement part. That makes sense, but weird that Toyota made the connectors different on parts that are seemingly identical. Were you able to replace the rear seat outlets with the part you ordered since the connectors look the same?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I was able to replace the rear outlets, but those are the ones I care about the least. Really wanted to change out the USB outlets in the center console. I'm tempted to swap the front and rear plugs so I can put a USB-C outlet in the center console.

Part number for the rear USB outlets:

Rectangle Font Electronic device Electric blue Gas

Part number for the front USB outlets:
Laptop accessory Gadget Gas Font Bumper

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, I was able to replace the rear outlets, but those are the ones I care about the least. Really wanted to change out the USB outlets in the center console. I'm tempted to swap the front and rear plugs so I can put a USB-C outlet in the center console.

Part number for the rear USB outlets:

View attachment 184932

Part number for the front USB outlets:
View attachment 184931
I've been watching this thread with interest, for I, too, would like to change the outlet in the center console to include a USB-c.

May I offer a suggestion on how to build an adapter cable from the existing connector to a new USB-c?

1. Almost all Toyota connector housings have the part number molded into them, usually on the end where the wires enter the housing. It is very small, so will require a bright flash light and magnifying glass. Sometimes you can see the number by highlighting it with a fine Sharpie. The part numbers will also be shown on the wiring diagram if you have access to that via TIS.

2. Using the part numbers from #1 above, look them up in the RAV4 wiring harness repair manual: RAV4 Wiring harness repair manual . The repair manual will show what matching connector housing will go with the connector and what "repair wires" with terminals are used in that housing. Connector housings and repair wires are readily available from your Toyota dealer or online. Thus, with the proper connector housings and repair wires, you can build an adapter cable from one type of connector to another.

When I get some time, I will try and find the connector housing part numbers and repair wires, and post them here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been watching this thread with interest, for I, too, would like to change the outlet in the center console to include a USB-c.

May I offer a suggestion on how to build an adapter cable from the existing connector to a new USB-c?

1. Almost all Toyota connector housings have the part number molded into them, usually on the end where the wires enter the housing. It is very small, so will require a bright flash light and magnifying glass. Sometimes you can see the number by highlighting it with a fine Sharpie. The part numbers will also be shown on the wiring diagram if you have access to that via TIS.

2. Using the part numbers from #1 above, look them up in the RAV4 wiring harness repair manual: RAV4 Wiring harness repair manual . The repair manual will show what matching connector housing will go with the connector and what "repair wires" with terminals are used in that housing. Connector housings and repair wires are readily available from your Toyota dealer or online. Thus, with the proper connector housings and repair wires, you can build an adapter cable from one type of connector to another.

When I get some time, I will try and find the connector housing part numbers and repair wires, and post them here.
Another solution is to just swap the rear connector with the front connector. Move the USB ports from the center console to the back seats, and put the one from the back seats into the center console
Edit: this would work for kdube because he said the rears are the ones he cares about the least

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The usb-c - 85532-08040

Ps
I think I found it (USB-c without doors). Part number 85532-08050. Unfortunately, it costs a lot more. Best price I found was EBAY for $50.
Just installed the 85532-08050 at the back of the center console. It, too, is plug and play. Even though it does not have the doors over the outlets, it has the added advantage of being back lit so you can easily see it in the dark.

Has anyone found a USB-c to fit the different connector inside the center console? I could not find a part number on the connector so I could build an adapter cable.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Has anyone found a USB-c to fit the different connector inside the center console? I could not find a part number on the connector so I could build an adapter cable.
Discovered that part number 85532-0R070 fits the '21 and the '22 RAV4, but I don't know if it is for inside the console or for the back of the console. Also, don't know if has a USB-c.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just installed the 85532-08050 at the back of the center console. It, too, is plug and play. Even though it does not have the doors over the outlets, it has the added advantage of being back lit so you can easily see it in the dark.

Discovered that part number 85532-0R070 fits the '21 and the '22 RAV4, but I don't know if it is for inside the console or for the back of the console. Also, don't know if has a USB-c.
Made another discovery: from what I can tell from the Toyota parts web site, part number 85532-0R070 is for the back of console on the '21 and '22 RAV4, and part number 85532-0R060 is for the inside of the '22 RAV4 console.

Since the first one is said to fit both the '21 and '22 console, I assume it has the same connector as earlier RAV4. But the second one may have a different connector, so may not fit earlier RAV4. Anyone want to see if the second will fit earlier RAV4?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts