Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any success useing the following in a 2012 Rav4

MICTUNING 2.1A Dual USB Power Socket for Smart Phone PDA iPad iPhone Charger for Toyota

Saw some iffy reviews on fit and quality.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
A tricky bit can involve making certain that the voltage and amperage output of the USB charging adapter is the same or very near that of the device which one is going to charge. That can be difficult since online sellers often don't publish the needed info and on the adapter itself the info is in microscopic print or not even present. I bought a couple of chargers vie Ebay where the needed info was available and they work fine in my RAV, and the cost was in the $2 apiece range with free shipping.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I like that. One question is does it need a fuse cut into it or can I just tap off of the lighter

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
My USB adapters simply plug into what would be the lighter socket.

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
I must have half a dozen of the 12V outlet plug-in ones in various places and one of the wired-in ones (from AutoZone) installed inside the driver's door in my truck.

To answer the OP's specific question, no real need to add a fuse since any 12V source in the dash is fused.

As far as the current ratings go, don't believe ANY of them. They'll say 1A, 2A etc. but I've tested and labeled all of mine for current output and none come close. Part of the reason is the device being charged only draws what it needs. Another factor is the usb cable itself. Many are so thin they limit the current.

What prompted my testing was I use my phone on a door-mounted stand in my truck while traveling. It's either a screen-on GPS, or a talk phone full time. But the battery would go down even tho it was being charged continuously. That's when I found both the charger and usb cord current limitations. I thru out the few weak cords I tested. Now the battery holds it's own or goes up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
you have 2012. Isn't that the only year RAV that came with a USB plug. I use that for charging all the time. If I need more ports or AMPS, I add a cig socket USB plug.

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
The device and USB cable I used to test current draw can sink close to 2A, but the charger seems to only source 60% of it.
Just wondered what load you used to measure the 1.238A. If it was on the 5V side that would be an 11W dissipation with a 9V drop (14-5V). I'd think that would melt the voltage regulator. I used a discharged cell phone for my testing and altho some chargers showed initial rates of 1A it dropped to under .5A quickly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The load I used to measure was an actual electronic device that can sink up to 2A since I've seen it draw that much from a wall charger or power supply through the on-board uUSB connector. I'm pretty sure the USB charger is using a buck regulator, not a LDO regulator, to keep it from melting.

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
I'm pretty sure the USB charger is using a buck regulator, not a LDO regulator, to keep it from melting.
Yep, must be a switching type regulator in there. Amazing how much fancy electronics is in the cheapest devices these days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the looks of that mod. I'm going to have to add that in my wife's RAV4.

Mark

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought a USB charger/input for the accessory slot too, but when driving in dark I found the blue LED lights to bright.
So I searched the net and found a version with amber LED lights, same as al the LED lights in the RAV4 dash. Perfect!

Before:

After:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,731 Posts
The amber is MUCH nicer. Can you provide a link?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought the USB charger via "Linda Lin's auto accessory" at AliExpress: the item page is gone, but the seller told me he would make a new product page for the USB outlets coming week.
Be aware that you have to tell the seller at your order for what car brand, car type, outlet size, LED color, and version (USB/charge, or 2x charge) you want. The seller responds very quick.
You can mention my AliExpress order ID:73981699502259 then you will get the same as me, for a RAV4.3

The previous USB outlet I had was without the rubber dust flaps, because I find this version look better.
The new USB outlet with amber LED's which I received was the version with the rubber dust flaps, but no big deal. I could esaly exchange the plastic outlet fronts with the blue LED version.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts