Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Mostly...

My lightning to USB cable was fraying /dying at one end. A few times I got the "device drawing too much power" notice on the HU. Then it stopped recognizing the device when it was plugged in, but will still charge it.

Yes, I have a new cable and the same issue with charging but not playing audio. Is there a reset somewhere? Maybe I should upgrade the entune software since I haven't done so in forever? Open to suggestions..

Thanks,

Karl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried removing and re-pairing. No change.

I believe the problem is in the head unit, not the phone. The phone charges, iTunes says it's playing through the dock connector. The Head unit isn't seeing the phone for music. It sees the phone for Entune and asks if I want to connect to the internet. But the iPhone never shows up in the "source" menu.

I'm due for an iOs update, but that should only make things worse...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
It sounds to me like you waited a little too long to replace a frayed/damaged lightning cable. USB ports are often protected by tiny surface mount "picofuses" that are soldered on the circuit board. Once that fuse is blown, it's blown. I have no idea if your head unit has such fuses, but I've replaced a few on computer motherboards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds to me like you waited a little too long to replace a frayed/damaged lightning cable. USB ports are often protected by tiny surface mount "picofuses" that are soldered on the circuit board. Once that fuse is blown, it's blown. I have no idea if your head unit has such fuses, but I've replaced a few on computer motherboards.
That's interesting, I never knew about those "picofuses".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the pico fuse handle the pin out functions of the USB connector or is it a fuse for the whole thing? I get some function through it (charge, connect to internet) just won't pass audio.

Thanks!

Karl

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Does the pico fuse handle the pin out functions of the USB connector or is it a fuse for the whole thing? I get some function through it (charge, connect to internet) just won't pass audio.

Thanks!

Karl
Without a schematic for the head unit there's no way for me to determine how it's set up. It is entirely possible that the data lines have a fuse separate from the 5V line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts