Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with using a flash drive for music in my 2015 XLE.

I initially used a small flash drive (~1MB), with few problems. I recently purchased a 64GB drive, made sure it was formatted as FAT32, and put a few albums on it.

The audio system does not recognize the drive, so I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions and/or answers to the following questions:
1. Have you successfully used a 64GB drive?
2. If not, what it the largest size that does work?
3. Which formatter, if not native to Windows (I'm on 7 Ultimate) did you use? I have a link to the SD Card Formatter software, which I think will work. I also have the HP USB Formatting executable, if anyone can vouch for this.
4. If 32GB is the maximum acceptable size, can I create two partitions on my flash drive of 32GB each and get this to work, probably reading from only one of them?

I spoke with a customer service rep at Toyota and he wouldn't verify that a 32GB drive will work. (If anyone from Toyota read this, how about a software upgrade to allow 64GB, if not larger, flash drives to work.)

Thank you for any assistance.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
I've been experimenting with using a flash drive for music in my 2015 XLE.

I initially used a small flash drive (~1MB), with few problems. I recently purchased a 64GB drive, made sure it was formatted as FAT32, and put a few albums on it.

The audio system does not recognize the drive, so I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions and/or answers to the following questions:
1. Have you successfully used a 64GB drive?
2. If not, what it the largest size that does work?
3. Which formatter, if not native to Windows (I'm on 7 Ultimate) did you use? I have a link to the SD Card Formatter software, which I think will work. I also have the HP USB Formatting executable, if anyone can vouch for this.
4. If 32GB is the maximum acceptable size, can I create two partitions on my flash drive of 32GB each and get this to work, probably reading from only one of them?

I spoke with a customer service rep at Toyota and he wouldn't verify that a 32GB drive will work. (If anyone from Toyota read this, how about a software upgrade to allow 64GB, if not larger, flash drives to work.)

Thank you for any assistance.
The problem with Winders is that it won't format any flash drive larger than 32GB with FAT32, it uses EXFAT which the Toyota system can't read. For the SD card in my dashcam, I use SmartDisk FAT32 tool which will format your 64 to FAT32. You can download it here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!mZwWmCAQ!bo9qnC99_5TQq17nRODkh38wqA9yRNNVgzUepzWcxlw

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I reformatted my flash drive using SmartDisk and it still didn't work. Are you using a 64GB drive in your RAV4?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your note and the link. I think the song naming issue you referenced refers to a 2 character name with the first character capitalized and the second character in lower case (I saw this in a different thread). My file names don't have this issue.

I sent a note to Toyota this morning asking how to resolve this problem, so far no answer.

I'm hoping some folks here can advise as to which flash drives they are using, especially as to the size of the drive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can't help here, sorry. 32GB is the one I am using and its working fine. Although to read all 7000+ songs, it takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a 16GB drive and put about 10 albums on it, one album per folder; and it works.

One thing I did notice is that when the first album is finished it does not go to the second album. I had to manually select it on the screen.

Is there a way to get the system to play album 1, album 2, 3, 4, etc. in order (with each song in each album in order)?

Would the Random function play from all the files in all the folders, or does it only play one folder at a time?

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts