Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I just purchased the 2016 RAV4 Limited and I had a simple question about the power output of the USB port in the front. Is it 0.5A? 1A? 2.2A?

I appreciate any help given.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The USB-2 spec calls for 500mA. Some USB controller chips allow 1A total. I think its fair to say that if you want to charge a tablet or phone, a 12v charging adapter would be better.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ditto.
Assuming the Rav is the same as my Corolla, it is BARELY adequate to maintain a Galaxy S6 with the screen on.
With Waze running, it will slowly lose charge.

It can't be more than 500ma

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would use the 12V to get 2A to charge phones. Most new phones can take on 2A. I notice if I plug my phone in the usb port sometimes the head unit would freeze. Now that I don't use the usb port to charge phone. The freezing of the head unit doesn't happen. Wonder if my phone is trying to draw more than it can output.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would use the 12V to get 2A to charge phones. Most new phones can take on 2A. I notice if I plug my phone in the usb port sometimes the head unit would freeze. Now that I don't use the usb port to charge phone. The freezing of the head unit doesn't happen. Wonder if my phone is trying to draw more than it can output.
More likely the phone is failing to present itself as removable storage, which is what the head unit would expect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts