Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to play music via folders on a USB stick? It looks like from what I have read here that on some of the older models that might have been possible, but on my 2016 it is not an option. It seems that Entune just ignores the folders and sorts all the music on the stick (either in folders or not) and plays the songs either sequentially or random.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't think it's possible. It appears to index by artist, album, song, and genre based on file tags. And it appears to do the indexing every time it's powered on, and it takes a while. Not a great system, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes. folders are ignored, every file is indexed and given a number. If the files are appropriately tagged you can sort by artist or album.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right consumer reports ranked it below 50% in user satisfaction. Even my 2014 Odyssey plays within folders. Its audio system is about all that is better than Toyota

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that the Entune system leaves a lot to be desired.

One thing the OP could do is create an MP3 file for each album containing all the album's songs. I've done this and have Entune set for Random play. After the software update in March, it seems to be working OK.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I agree that the Entune system leaves a lot to be desired.

One thing the OP could do is create an MP3 file for each album containing all the album's songs.
There's no reason to do that. The system lists all the songs on an album and plays the album in order or random. As long as you use proper tags there's no issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The easiest approach to "mimic" folder structure is to create playlists in each folder. This can be done with most of the media players, entune supports the .m3u standard. Then play by playlists and you will have the very same effect as you browse by folders. A little bit of extra work, but I found no better solution yet..

·
Registered
324 Posts
The easiest approach to "mimic" folder structure is to create playlists in each folder. This can be done with most of the media players, entune supports the .m3u standard. Then play by playlists and you will have the very same effect as you browse by folders. A little bit of extra work, but I found no better solution yet..
Pretty sure Toyota's intention for the USB was mostly for charging. If it is meant to stream media, it's the worst system I have ever seen. For such an amazing car, the infotainment system and NAV is the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Playlists

I don't think the 2016 version will deal with m3u playlists. The choices are genre, albums, songs, artist,...
A bigger hammer approach that will work is to take each folder and change all of the songs album names to be the same. For example, if one of the folders was Pop then change all the songs album names to POP. This can be done in ITunes, but it is a brute force way to get it done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think the 2016 version will deal with m3u playlists. The choices are genre, albums, songs, artist,...
A bigger hammer approach that will work is to take each folder and change all of the songs album names to be the same. For example, if one of the folders was Pop then change all the songs album names to POP. This can be done in ITunes, but it is a brute force way to get it done.
actually it does. at least my one doing it fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thumb drive

Never did get the Playlist option to work, so I went with changing the album names to the same group name so I could have the effect of a playlist. I have about 4000 songs and 20 audio books. All for road trips. The thumb drive is about the length of my thumb nail (<1 inch), so it barely sticks out of the socket. Here is the details on the stick http://stuccu.com/s/Sandisk+Cruzer+Fit+32GB-MbSLsTI-Buy-Exclusive-Deals-70-OFF-Save-Big-Lowest-Price-On-Sandisk-Cruzer-Fit-32GB-Best-In-Stock-Fast-Free-Shipping?keyword=sandisk%20cruzer%20fit%2032gb&matchtype=b&querystring=sandisk%20cruzer%20fit%20cz33%2032gb%20usb%202.0%20low%20profile%20flash%20drive%20%20sdcz33%20032g%20b35%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&netid=2&aaid=546341d3b1b1c61e78580306&oid=29079881310&caid=546341d3b1b1c61e78580303&device=c

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you "play all shuffle" your mp3 from the usb stick.. and stop your car.. when you start it again.. is there a way without touching the console to make it continue to play all shuffle instead of being stuck at the current song 1/1 song total in loop. I had that annoyance in my corolla.. and getting a rav4 2016 LE in a few days.. and was hoping they fixed that situation.

By bluetooth, it start the playlist again but i do have to connect my phone every time since the battery will be drained. i would rather leave a Sandisk Cruzer USB stick on all the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My R4H plays on from USB after car shutdown, I have not had that problem after restarting the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, my 2016 Hybrid Limited plays from the point it was at when I turn the car off, and continues at that point when the car comes back on, and it stays on Random.

·
Registered
5 Posts
that is really good news... who knew such a small annoyance could become this painfull after a while... thank you Jarl and ravgolferjack! The only thing i still need to discover is why certain cover arts dont show up from the mp3's ID3 to the Rav4 screen.. maybe it dont support more than 250x250 pixels and my 750x750 cause problem.. once again its all based on the corolla 2011 i had. and changing 1000+ mp3 files covers arts will be a freaking pain in the arse but i'll do it! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't get any cover art shown, althoug I can find them in the WMA files with my computer. Would like to see them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts