Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a used late model (09-12) 3rd Gen RAV4. Specifically, we really want the v6 AWD SAP (only available in the Sport trim I believe). I don't like the styling of the spare wheel on the rear, and would like to have a peppier drive. The other vehicles I'm looking at are similar year CX-9s and CR-Vs (the Honda is much lower on the list vs the other two because it only comes with the 4cyl).

Some Questions I have relating to purchasing a used RAV4:

1. What should I be looking out for when buying used in the MYs?
2. What maintenance should have been done (or required to do) in the 60-100k mileage range? What mileage should the water pump, plugs/coils be replaced?
3. Are there any mechanical weak points in the drivetrain or electronics?
4. Any important TSB/Recalls I should make sure are addressed in the vehicle history?
5. What tires should I look for (any brand known to be ok)?
6. What is the real (not dealer starting priced) money value I should aim for with a purchase?

TIA :smile

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I bought my used 2010 Rav4 Sport First things I checked were:

Both Front and Rear shocks for Leaks, The rear Differential if there are any leaks, Oil Level and under the Oil Cap, Any weird noise in the engine. Also, the Rear Control arm recall I didn't want it done since I was going to upgrade to the SPC one where it is adjustable, the recall made it unadjustable for alignment. Check the Oil hose make sure it is the metal one. of course any engine light codes and how it drives in city and highway. Look for any pink sludges in the engine bay, it indicates a water pump failure.

Then the minor stuff like tire wear, see if is wearing out faster on one side, indicates bad alignment.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Do be aware that the particular model you are looking for has a very stiff ride. The suspension is unforgiving and the runflat tires add to the rough ride. Runflats are also quite expensive. Many love it, I could not live with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do be aware that the particular model you are looking for has a very stiff ride. The suspension is unforgiving and the runflat tires add to the rough ride. Runflats are also quite expensive. Many love it, I could not live with it.
I just bought another set of tires, didnt like them so i changed it out. I do agree thought Sport suspensions are very stiff, tthe Limited which my gf has is much better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Be aware that the SAP's are hard to find and were only made in Japan and shipped over. They're pretty cool and unique, I see them around on the streets here or there but I always feel like I'm seeing a unicorn.

When I've looked at parts for my 2012 Rav4 I've often noticed notes similar to "vehicles manufactured in Japan" or "CAN/USA models" these kinds of things so keep this in mind as there are some part differences that are subtle but important when you go to fix or replace things in a non-dealership shop. Shouldn't make too much fuss but just keep it in mind.

I think what the others have said are all spot on. Obviously do a background check on your purchase, do the research see what's been fixed or updated and what hasn't. The SAP is the Sport Appearance Package and like others are noting it has the Sport suspension of course. I personally own a Limited and spent the money just to get this suspension so I don't think it's overly harsh, but the 18" wheels and run flat tires that came with those models can make it pretty unforgiving so you might consider finding used Limited wheels that will give you more sidewall rubber and cushion. I personally think the Sport suspension change is the best thing I've ever done to my Limited Rav4 but I also am picky about cars that drive "numb" or "removed" so take that into consideration.

Good luck on your search, tell us what you find!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Luckyone there are a few things to look out for in the V6 model:
- transmission whine (whine occurs between 15-40 mph. You can tell if it is a transmission whine (not rear differential whine) when you take your foot off the pedal, noise stops)
- rear differential whine (maybe followed by a leak and whine noise... look for oil deposit around the rear differential housing) A plugged breather rusted out forces pressure to blow the seals.

As far as maintenance you do not need to replace the water pump like other models that have a timing belt. All the Gen3 models have a metal timing chain which should last the life of the vehicle.
The spark plugs need to be changed at 100,000 miles. Since it is a V6 spark plug changes is more difficult for a novice.
The coolant should be changed near 100,000 miles.
The struts and rear shocks may need to be replaced at 100,000 miles but some change sooner or later but that depends on the roads.
The transmission,, transfer case *, and rear differential oil * should have been replaced around 60,000 miles. (* 4WD only)

Lastly test drive your Sport SAP model on a very bumpy road. The reason is the very stiff suspension will be felt then and not on smooth roads. If you can't stand the ride of the Sport model move on to something else. The Sport model is performance oriented and is not for anyone expecting a nice comfortable soft ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm in the same market, currently have the 07' I4 with engine rebuild under the Ze7 warranty and now looking at a 2012 V6 limited under 20K miles for around $20,000 from a dealer that is not a Toyota(out of warranty). I'm looking also at 4.4 w/ XLE AWD from local dealers, all with 20K miles with full factory warranty The 12' V6 is most likely a better choice(familiar with working on the engine, family member has the same in a '12 AVY) for me with the V6 performance and other RAV4 owners on this forum talking about how nice to have that V6 in a RAV. A bit concerned with purchasing from a non-toyota dealer and the car fax history reports "rear end damage" reported, also one would guess due to the color(exterior/interior, blizzard pearl/sand beige) and knowing the area in NJ(high-income area) where it was purchased and driven, perhaps an older mature female driver/owner so it was well maintained. Did a VIN search, all vehicle records available, in 2014 mileage "front window regulators replaced"....why? Again it's just pure speculation on the type of driver/owner...who knows?

Any thoughts would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I own a 2011 Sport with the exterior spare tire, witch we bought new. The sport suspension was noticeably stiff when new ,but after 6 years and 75,000 miles and softer riding tires it is hardly noticeable. I still have the original struts and shocks and from what comments I have read on this forum may of the non sport suspension parts have leaked by this time and mileage, so I do think the heaver Sport struts and shocks do last longer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm in the same market, currently have the 07' I4 with engine rebuild under the Ze7 warranty and now looking at a 2012 V6 limited under 20K miles for around $20,000 from a dealer that is not a Toyota(out of warranty). I'm looking also at 4.4 w/ XLE AWD from local dealers, all with 20K miles with full factory warranty The 12' V6 is most likely a better choice(familiar with working on the engine, family member has the same in a '12 AVY) for me with the V6 performance and other RAV4 owners on this forum talking about how nice to have that V6 in a RAV. A bit concerned with purchasing from a non-toyota dealer and the car fax history reports "rear end damage" reported, also one would guess due to the color(exterior/interior, blizzard pearl/sand beige) and knowing the area in NJ(high-income area) where it was purchased and driven, perhaps an older mature female driver/owner so it was well maintained. Did a VIN search, all vehicle records available, in 2014 mileage "front window regulators replaced"....why? Again it's just pure speculation on the type of driver/owner...who knows?

Any thoughts would greatly appreciated.
Hi myravis - use this link, to evaluate dealer vehicle prices:
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 4WD Prices, Values & Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 4WD Price Specs | NADAguides

If a vehicle has properly fixed collision damage, under $3,000 ... I shoot for minus 10%, under dealer cost - cosmetic damage doesn't scare me, if the price is right.
- using CarFax report, as a bargaining chip

If the vehicle had extensive damage and I knew a reputable shop fixed it, still worth considering.
- I bought a totaled Volvo v70, without frame damage / proved on a laser frame rack
- for 25% under wholesale / was a good DD'er, for several years

2.5 years ago, after 6 months of searching Kijiji (Canadian CraigsList)... we bough wife's '08 RAV4 Limited v6 privately, off a local Doctor.
- with 89,xxx Km / now 158,xxx Km and only replaced a defective $90 suspension link
- 2 owner SUV, first guy retired & upgraded to a new Lexus RX350 ... so vehicle had known history
- fully Toyota dealer maintained (since new) / with a minor CarFax parking lot incident & fixed
- paid $5,000 under dealer $$

·
Registered
162 Posts
If a vehicle has properly fixed collision damage, under $3,000 ... I shoot for minus 10%, under dealer cost - cosmetic damage doesn't scare me, if the price is right.
- using CarFax report, as a bargaining chip

just found more info from toy_owners_club, $1932.00 for all cosmetic items,(rear tire cover,rear cover bumper, no real hard sheet metal/frame or rear-gate damages(mine rattles on the 07' ,gorilla tape on the latch/catch solves that problem. This will be a replacement for my '07 which is my main service tech beater that i do about 35k miles annually for my company, i do all my own repairs(the steering gear-rack was the most difficult, so i can handle just about anything....if i have time.

Thanks for the input, again i do like what other V6 owners embellish 'bout their lil' rockets.....:smile

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wife was rear ended last year, at 1 mph ... kid on a cell phone, driving to College.
- luckily the tire cover was undamaged
- rear poly bumper had a little scratch, on left side ... I buffed out
- upon further examination, inside plastic core/support of tire holder was cracked
- wife works in a training facility, so core fixed for fee

^^ I kept a $950 auto body repair / bumper repaint & spare tire core/support change, off the RAV4's CarFax.
- damage is really unnoticeable
- I chose to preserve my resale value, instead of another small accident claim & reported history

.........just found more info from toy_owners_club, $1932.00 for all cosmetic items,(rear tire cover,rear cover bumper, no real hard sheet metal/frame or rear-gate damages(mine rattles on the 07' ,gorilla tape on the latch/catch solves that problem. This will be a replacement for my '07 which is my main service tech beater that i do about 35k miles annually for my company, i do all my own repairs(the steering gear-rack was the most difficult, so i can handle just about anything....if i have time.

Thanks for the input, again i do like what other V6 owners embellish 'bout their lil' rockets.....:smile
Yea ^^ only takes a little tap...to get a few thousand $$, in repaired damage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wife was rear ended last year, at 1 mph ... kid on a cell phone, driving to College.
- luckily the tire cover was undamaged
- rear poly bumper had a little scratch, on left side ... I buffed out
- upon further examination, inside plastic core/support of tire holder was cracked

Yea ^^ only takes a little tap...to get a few thousand $$, in repaired damage.
Yep, got hit last week on the LIE- I495 xpressway in long island in heavy traffic, this guy had a beater honda and hit me under 5 mph, my cover bumper is already marked up, i always run with out that fancy tire cover, it's a PIA to replace flat in winter try'n to get that thing off(you should know liv'n cold temps)so i think he hit part tire-part bumper cover, i just kept drv'n for like a mile in the fast lane.....then when traffic finally stopped again, i got out and look at any damages(all other vehicles in that lane,far left did the bail cause they knew what was goin down...suks.) i just pointed to get off the phone and eyes on me rear..&%*-hole.....i just drove off why he stood there, you know how many car horns were blast'n him....enuff said.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yep, got hit last week on the LIE- I495 xpressway in long island in heavy traffic, this guy had a beater honda and hit me under 5 mph, my cover bumper is already marked up, i always run with out that fancy tire cover, it's a PIA to replace flat in winter try'n to get that thing off(you should know liv'n cold temps)so i think he hit part tire-part bumper cover, i just kept drv'n for like a mile in the fast lane.....then when traffic finally stopped again, i got out and look at any damages(all other vehicles in that lane,far left did the bail cause they knew what was goin down...suks.) i just pointed to get off the phone and eyes on me rear..&%*-hole.....i just drove off why he stood there, you know how many car horns were blast'n him....enuff said.
I live on LI. My condolences.:crying

·
Registered
162 Posts
I live on LI. My condolences.:crying

lately with all the work a digital signage vendor is throw'n at us.....i'm liv'n there too. The 2 areas i tell my company(Kansas City area) is the hardest to deal with, traffic and routes, White Plains and Long Isl.
i tell them it's easier to get to Mars, unfortunately that is where all the installs are goin in these days/nights with the holiday rush. traffic is brutal out there...really everywhere this time of year.

ravenuer, flowers would be nice next to my tombstone:wink

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just commenting on the tire suggestions:

We replaced the OEM Toyo Open Country tires with a new set of Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. These Goodyear tires are now on both of our RAV4’s and have been quite satisfied with them in regard to low noise and good handling. I have yet to see how their lifespan will be, but if they do better then the OEM Open Country tires which last about 47k miles, I’ll stick with the Goodyears.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Just commenting on the tire suggestions:

We replaced the OEM Toyo Open Country tires with a new set of Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires. These Goodyear tires are now on both of our RAV4’s and have been quite satisfied with them in regard to low noise and good handling. I have yet to see how their lifespan will be, but if they do better then the OEM Open Country tires which last about 47k miles, I’ll stick with the Goodyears.
If you got 47 out of those miserable Toyos, you'll get 100 out of the Goodyears!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts