Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, first time RAV4 owner!

I just took possession of a silver 2004 RAV4 (48,000 km), a very nice looking machine and my first... well, everything! First RAV4. First SUV. Heck, first car! (I have driven a Chevy Cavalier for many years, which belonged to my dad..)

The previous owner could not give me any maintenance records other than verbal assurances that she did indeed take the car for oil changes and necessary maintenance. She was able to give me a service record history from one dealership which shows 4 oil + lubes, and a handful of other minor maintenance. (She did at least one oil change at at least one other dealership.) The next oil change is scheduled for August, at 55K.

She claims to have rotated the tires, though the spare looks much newer than the other 4, so if she has been, they haven't rotated the spare. (I intend to replace all 4 -- possibly all 5 -- as winter rolls around this year, so I'm not too concerned about premature tread wear due to lack of tire rotation.)

Is there anything else that really needs to be done around 48,000km other than oil + lube, or anything that I should be on the lookout for?

(On my Cavalier, I don't recall having to do anything much other than oil + lube and stupid warranty work to repair leaks and rattles and tire rotation.)

Trying desperately to give the RAV4 some tender loving care, and hoping that the previous owner did too...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the great RAV4 family :D!

About the spare tire, some dealerships don't rotate them, at least my dealership doesn't, so maybe that's the same situation with your new baby. Right about the 30K mark, the car is supposed to get a full maintenance thing done. If your car came with the manual and schedule maintenance guide, it should describe all the things thatwere done during that mileage.

Glad you got rid of that Chevy :twisted: and you'll see how much you'll enjoy your new baby. Don't forget to post pictures on your album :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I feel a bit better about things now that I've done some searching. I found a Toyota Maintenance Schedule here which suggests that my new baby is more or less on schedule. Its current mileage (kilometerage?) is 48K km, or around 30K miles, so that seems right on schedule. She just happened to sell the car right around when it would need a pile of maintenance... :roll:

I hope that's all it needs. I'm used to doing oil changes and scheduled service every 3 months or so on my Chevy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A '04 RAV still has a lot of factory warranty on the power train, so you'd be wise to visit the dealer it originally came from to transfer the warranty and be sure all maint was done. Any Toyota dealer can do this but the original selling dealer probably has a sticker on the back of the truck, and it would be better to touch base with them.
Did you get the owner's manual and service program booklet, it has a place in the middle where the dealer records routine maint as done.........and it has to be done to keep the warranty in effect!!!!! I even get oil changes at the dealer, a little more expensive, but less hassle if there's a problem.....(Sorta, pay me now or pay me later...)
Seeing as this was a private sale, you should try to get as much of the service forms, both maint and repairs, from the prev owner.....
Good luck!!!

BTW....how about putting your province in your profile...... :wink:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: The car is at the local dealership now, awaiting a 48K maintenance service and inspection to see if anything else needs doing.

I had a quick glance at their computer, which seems to have more records of service than I do... this is encouraging. The service advisor didn't look concerned at all.

I have, meanwhile, noticed a couple of minor issues with the car, like my key getting stuck in the ignition once and a tendency for a slight RPM surge when downshifting as I slow to a stop (something that others on this forum have noticed about the 2004 RAV4s). After they do whatever needs doing today, I'll have those looked at another time.

I was SO worried yesterday, and I feel better now.. here's hoping it's all good news.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts