Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue or if it's just me/my circumstances. Despite having access to carplay, I prefer to use Bluetooth unless I want to use maps. I've got the Toyota, RemoteConnect, Alexa+Toyota, and Entune apps installed on my iPhone. When I get in and start the RAV, my phone connects via bluetooth and I immediately start hearing my music play - which is great. What is not so amazing is that after about 5 seconds, the music stops and I get an alert on my phone prompting me to answer if i want to allow Entune to communicate with the vehicle. No matter what I do or how I respond, the next time I get in the car and start 'er up, the same thing happens - music plays, then 5 seconds later it stops and Entune butts in on my phone. If I open media on the head unit and press play, music resumes, but it's annoying that I have had to do this over and over again ever since installing the Entune app on my phone. I want to have access to the connected features I get from Entune, but do I really have to put up with it overriding my music every time? Am I missing a setting somewhere that fixes this?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It seems that Toyota goes out of its way to annoy and frustrate drivers, in many areas.

Toyota = Nanny Nag Nag Nag...

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I get in and start the RAV, my phone connects via bluetooth and I want to have access to the connected features I get from Entune, but do I really have to put up with it overriding my music every time? Am I missing a setting somewhere that fixes this?
First, delete the Entune app. You don't really need it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try turning off USB Restricted Mode: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17550316/apple-iphone-usb-restricted-mode-how-to-use-security

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
611 Posts
First, delete the Entune app. You don't really need it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try turning off USB Restricted Mode: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/17550316/apple-iphone-usb-restricted-mode-how-to-use-security

Thanks,
Frank
I don't think it's related to USB restricted mode because he's not connecting the USB cable to the phone. It's the way the Entune app needs to be allowed every time it starts up that is the problem. There's no option to "ALLOW ALWAYS" on the iPhone, which would fix this issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think it's related to USB restricted mode because he's not connecting the USB cable to the phone.
If he's connecting only via Bluetooth then you're correct. I thought he plugged his iPhone in and got the warning probably because that was happening to me when I had Entune installed. Re-reading his original post and I see you're correct.

Not plugging in, I was fine. Once I deleted Entune then those messages stopped. I use CarPlay now so I don't need any of the things the Entune app offered and I never see that message, either.

Maybe try opening the Entune app before starting?

·
Registered
611 Posts
If he's connecting only via Bluetooth then you're correct. I thought he plugged his iPhone in and got the warning probably because that was happening to me when I had Entune installed. Re-reading his original post and I see you're correct.

Not plugging in, I was fine. Once I deleted Entune then those messages stopped. I use CarPlay now so I don't need any of the things the Entune app offered and I never see that message, either.

Maybe try opening the Entune app before starting?
Opening Entune app before starting may work but again that's still a step he needs to do and need to take his phone out as he gets in his car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Opening Entune app before starting may work but again that's still a step he needs to do and need to take his phone out as he gets in his car.
Yep, I think that’s a limitation of how the Entune app was written.

I’ve used several media apps in two different vehicles (Hyundai and Toyota) and Entune is the only one that prompted me. That’s why I uninstalled it and never looked back.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
611 Posts
I really wish there's a way to implement wireless Carplay retroactively, then I wouldn't need to bother with Entune. But sometimes when I'm doing short drives, it is a bit of a hassle to have to take the phone out and plug it in to activate Carplay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some more looking into this; seems like it's not just me. There are people complaining about this exact same behavior in a Tundra forum and in Apple's support forums. There is just no way around it on iOS, it seems. Sucks because I really liked the idea of using some of the features that come with the connected apps, but the annoyance might be overcoming the benefits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really wish there's a way to implement wireless Carplay retroactively, then I wouldn't need to bother with Entune. But sometimes when I'm doing short drives, it is a bit of a hassle to have to take the phone out and plug it in to activate Carplay.
There are automakers who do wireless CarPlay, BMW, for example.

Toyota has decided not to implement it.

I've just got in the habit of plugging my iPhone in all the time so I don't really notice it. It takes about 5 seconds so, for me, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did some more looking into this; seems like it's not just me. There are people complaining about this exact same behavior in a Tundra forum and in Apple's support forums. There is just no way around it on iOS, it seems. Sucks because I really liked the idea of using some of the features that come with the connected apps, but the annoyance might be overcoming the benefits.
I think it's more of a Toyota issue than an iOS issue.

As I mentioned, I don't have the problem on my Hyundai and my son drives a Honda without this problem.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it's more of a Toyota issue than an iOS issue.

As I mentioned, I don't have the problem on my Hyundai and my son drives a Honda without this problem.

Thanks,
Frank
Yeah that makes sense. I have never had a vehicle with an included App though, just audio streaming/handsfree. I'm not sure if it's a development issue that Toyota needs to fix or an iOS issue that Toyota can't engineer around. Do you have a similar connected app setup for your Honda or Hyundai?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you have a similar connected app setup for your Honda or Hyundai?
No, neither has an app (that I'm aware of, that requires it to be connected while driving.

I couldn't find any need for the app that wasn't already covered by some other app I use (or CarPlay). That's why I deleted the app.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
fbara
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing