• --V6 4WD 26-29 MPG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • --V6 4WD over 29 MPG

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's try the gas mileage poll again for the 2006 RAV4. This time, we are comparing the V6 combinations of 2WD vs 4WD. I'll do a separate poll for the Inline 4.

I spread out the MPG range so that it will give a better feel for the actual "average" MPG that you are experiencing. This is also about the maximum number of poll options you can enter. Please use average mileage (some city/some highway).

If you are averaging below 22 MPG or above 29 MPG, add a note that explains your driving circumstances.

Enjoy

regards,
SloopG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.

I have a 4x4 V6 Limited. I just filled up and averaged 25.8 miles per gallon. This surpassed a 25.5 mpg fill-up from earlier. The stranger thing was that I drove more aggressively in the past few days. I shuttled a few coworkers to agency meetings, and goosed it a few times to show them what the car could do. I figure that my engine is broken in now, explaining the improving mileage figures. Furthermore, I drive in Bay Area, CA traffic, which is no joke. The weather has been in the high 50s and low 60s (I'm specifiying this because I had read earlier that freezing temps hurt mileage figures).

·
Registered
233 Posts
300 highway only miles, 24.5 mpg. I'm settled that it will be 21 mpg in town and 25 mpg hwy. Good enough for a V-6 SUV with 269 hp.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Lance said:
Update.

I have a 4x4 V6 Limited. I just filled up and averaged 25.8 miles per gallon. This surpassed a 25.5 mpg fill-up from earlier. The stranger thing was that I drove more aggressively in the past few days. I shuttled a few coworkers to agency meetings, and goosed it a few times to show them what the car could do. I figure that my engine is broken in now, explaining the improving mileage figures. Furthermore, I drive in Bay Area, CA traffic, which is no joke. The weather has been in the high 50s and low 60s (I'm specifiying this because I had read earlier that freezing temps hurt mileage figures).
Spot on Dude, Still early in the game. Less than 1,000 miles on the Odom. After 2 tanks 23.8, 25.3 mpg's. Plenty of LA stop and go traffic. Also been hauling Surf Buds and Boards to the Beach. Mpg's are a nice surprise considering the lead foot I have. :wink:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm not going to vote yet but after my first tank of mixed driving I was 23.4.

Oh yea.....V6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just filled up again, 25.003 mpg this time. Haha yes I BARELY broke into the 25's with this fill-up. I drove probably 50% city, 50% highway this time. Temperature was in the 50's, low 60's. V6 4x4 Limited.

I'm going to break into the 26's one day, even if it kills me. haha...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good mileage in the mountains

First trip with only 200 miles on my RAV4 Limited V6, 4X4. I drove 360 miles round trip (about 7 hours on the road) from Cheyenne, WY to Breckenridge , CO. Including driving twice through Denver rush hours on I-70 and I-25, and also, showing off the v-6 power to my son-in-law. Was supprised to get 26.8 mpg driving at 75mph plus for about 200 of the miles at elevations from 6,400', 5200' in Denver, to about 11,000 ' in the mountains. Temp. ranged from 20 to 60 degrees F, mostly in the low 40s.

·
Registered
379 Posts
V6, first fill up 196 miles, 10.2 gallons, not as good as I expected, but I have been driving it kinda hard, just to see what the car is capable of, blowing doors off, blowing people of the line, and it's everything it's cracked up to be. IMHO the power is fantastic. The cost of gas is the very least of my worries with this car. The dealer told me for the first 500 miles drive the car as you always want it to perform. Something about the computer has to learn your driving habits. After 500 miles everthing is set in stone, I guess.
P.S. Never hit the passing gear yet, I hear that's really bad for a new engine.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have been driving it kinda hard, just to see what the car is capable of, blowing doors off, blowing people of the line, and it's everything it's cracked up to be.
Inlets is a rice boyyyy......
Inlets is a rice boyyyy......... :lol:

OC

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Inlets - you never heard of the West Coast "Rice Boys"?
They're the inner city kids who like to mod up the compact Jap cars like the Honda Civic & Accord, Toyota Corolla & Camry and blow off every one's doors from stop light to stop light. They often have the windows nearly blacked out with film, put crazy looking homemade spoilers on the trunk, and install the huge coffee can exhaust tip extensions.
Then you get the wannabe Ricers who put on the just the exterior mods like the spoilers just so their ride appears like a Rice Rocket, even though they have only 120HP 4 cyl. They call them "Posers".

No offense on that last post, just thought you'd get a laugh! :lol:

PS - It's hard not to push these V6 "Rice RAV's - they just wanna go!

OC

·
Registered
379 Posts
No offense at all OC. I guess I musta lived a sheltered life. That's one state I have never been stationed in while in the USAF. I would like to visit extream northern CA someday. Really beauitful. I'll bet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MPG not so great ... (yet?)

4X4 V6 - Limited...

First tank - 16.9 mpg
Second tank - 18.9 mpg
Third tank - 20.0 mpg

I've got a gentle upward trend, but if it's true that the RAV4 settles in after about 500 miles, since I've got 675 miles so far, I'm NOT encouraged I'll be reaching the mid 20s range above. Wonder why?

Driving has been a mix of about 60% local stop-go + 40% highway at 70-75 mph (estimated) in Mid-Atlantic US area.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Went on a turkey hunting scout trip yesterday, just took delivery Friday on a 4WD V6. With me and my huntin partner on board, we traveled 246 miles, 180 of that hwy at 50-65 mph with 2 high speed passes to 80mph on the 2 lane, the rest in 4-lock driving in a sea of mud most of the time, the snow is just leaving the area, and there were some side roads that had snow drifts that we didn't even try to negotiate since I forgot to bring my GI shovel. The Geolanders performed excellent in the sloppy stuff which is a good trade off for their on-road noise. MPG was 22.1 with 313 total miles on the odo.

Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Disappointing 4 cyl mileage

2006 Base 4 cyl 2WD.
1700 miles
1rst tank all city: 23.9 mpg
Last tank 80% hwy with a 25 mph tail wind: 25.1 mpg

Good news? Every tank has been at least 23.4 mpg.
Bad news? No tank has beat 25.1 mpg.

I guess I was naive to think that the RAV would have some miracle advantage when the same engine in the Highlander with just 200 lbs extra curb weight is rated at 22/27.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please add your MPG stats if you are driving a V6 Rav4 with either 2WD or 4WD. The more responses we have, the more valid the survey results. See the separate poll if you are driving a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
458 Posts
2,100 miles on the Odom and rock'n in LA :wall traffic. Worst 23.1, Best 25.7, others 23.8, 25.3, 24.8 mpg's

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm only halfway through my first tank of gas. I've got 187 miles to this point (about 23.5 mpg). That's with 80% city 20% highway. It will be interesting to see how the second half of the tank goes.

V6 Sport FWD

1 - 20 of 50 Posts