Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking to add a little growl to the V6 that i think it deserves.

Am looking at magnaflow mufflers, but looking for a bit of advice re sizing.

Ive seen a post on here about a guy who had a magnaflow 14 inch and said it was very loud, I don't want anything too aggressive just something that will liven up a bit when accelerating.

Im not very experienced with mufflers, do they generally get quieter the larger they are or does it change the tone as well?

I was looking at the 24 inch body magnaflow:

https://www.carid.com/magnaflow/stainless-steel-stainless-steel-oval-bi-direction-silver-exhaust-muffler-mpn-14250.html

This seems to be the largest they do, is there a risk it will be too quiet?

Heard a few people say the resonator at the end needs to come off as well to get a good sound, does this introduce unwanted noise at certain rpms or will it be muffler dependent?

cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can check Youtube where you can hear the different growls from all the different mufflers.
There's only a couple videos on YouTube of v6 rav's with exhaust, and two of them aren't realistic expectations due to the amount of work they out into their setups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
BTW, I'm very interested in this topic also. I want noise, but little drone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With a straight through muffler, your last worry will be it being too quiet lol. Get the largest you can find with the proper inlet/outlet and piping diameter and leave the stock piping and resonator after the muffler. You can always remove it later but I believe it's more for drone than volume. I've ordered the v6 y pipe and I'll be ordering the headers soon.
Edit: My comment about leaving the stock portion after the muffler is for cost savings and assuming you plan to stick to near stock diameter piping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With a straight through muffler, your last worry will be it being too quiet lol. Get the largest you can find with the proper inlet/outlet and piping diameter and leave the stock piping and resonator after the muffler. You can always remove it later but I believe it's more for drone than volume. I've ordered the v6 y pipe and I'll be ordering the headers soon.
Edit: My comment about leaving the stock portion after the muffler is for cost savings and assuming you plan to stick to near stock diameter piping.
What headers are you using since they don't sell them for this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gouky's headers. He makes headers for 2gr->mr2 engine swaps. But they're designed to mate to a specific aftermarket y pipe that's also designed for the mr2 2gr swap. And neither are very cheap. But that's the reality of handmade low production niche products. And the ypipe will have to be altered for the rav4 chassis/subframe most likely which will add more expense. Plus I've been warned by the fabricators themselves that it could be really loud.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gouky's headers. He makes headers for 2gr->mr2 engine swaps. But they're designed to mate to a specific aftermarket y pipe that's also designed for the mr2 2gr swap. And neither are very cheap. But that's the reality of handmade low production niche products. And the ypipe will have to be altered for the rav4 chassis/subframe most likely which will add more expense. Plus I've been warned by the fabricators themselves that it could be really loud.
If it sounds anything like an mr2 swap, I would do it in a heartbeat! People would double check everywhere you go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's about as far as I plan to go to add performance. Only other thing I may do is go with lighter 17/18" wheels and the stickiest 3/4 season tires I can find.
My wife drives a 2010 venza which has the 6spd auto. It's not bad but if we get another suv down the road, I'm thinking it'll be a cx5/9 turbo or an Infiniti qx with the 3.7/330hp and 7spd auto. Both have good handling for suvs, good performance stock and good aftermarket support. I guess I'll never grow up lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it sounds anything like an mr2 swap, I would do it in a heartbeat! People would double check everywhere you go.

Lol yeah, but the 5spd auto may cause some annoying drone issues, I'll find out when the exhaust is tackled. Probably won't get to installing till Dec but I'll try to get some pics and add any helpful information.
Traction is already sketchy in first gear so I can't imagine how the 1 or 2 supercharged guys on this forum manage. But they've stated that a better intake and muffler will make the rav4 quicker (verified by numerous track runs) and give you a bettrr sound, and for much less than header/ypipe upgrades.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's about as far as I plan to go to add performance. Only other thing I may do is go with lighter 17/18" wheels and the stickiest 3/4 season tires I can find.
My wife drives a 2010 venza which has the 6spd auto. It's not bad but if we get another suv down the road, I'm thinking it'll be a cx5/9 turbo or an Infiniti qx with the 3.7/330hp and 7spd auto. Both have good handling for suvs, good performance stock and good aftermarket support. I guess I'll never grow up lol
I got the Rav, trying to settle down. Didn't known it was a sleeper, grandma shuttle. I manage construction sites, so I'm pushing for more of a rally look and function.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha is funny that this thread came alive again today, I have just put a Magnaflow on the V6 today.

I went for the 18 inch body rather than the 24 inch, as i was a little concerned the 24 would be too quiet. That was possibly a mistake :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Its a little loud i think, sorta wish i had gone for the larger one. Missis dosent mind it though haha.

I imagine the only thing I can to to calm it would be fit the larger one on? Im all the way in NZ see, its a pain in the ass to get anything (and sell this one no doubt)

Lovely deep tone on it though. Hadd the seats down and it was like a bass box inside! No real drone at motorway speeds either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haha is funny that this thread came alive again today, I have just put a Magnaflow on the V6 today.

I went for the 18 inch body rather than the 24 inch, as i was a little concerned the 24 would be too quiet. That was possibly a mistake

Its a little loud i think, sorta wish i had gone for the larger one. Missis dosent mind it though haha.

I imagine the only thing I can to to calm it would be fit the larger one on? Im all the way in NZ see, its a pain in the ass to get anything (and sell this one no doubt)

Lovely deep tone on it though. Hadd the seats down and it was like a bass box inside! No real drone at motorway speeds either.
Could you post a sound clip? There isn't too many with the Rav.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So you simply added the magnaflow muffler to a stock exhaust? Have a muffler shop install the longest resonator they can fit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea i just replaced the stock muffler. Would a longer resonator quieten it down? Was thinking of the possibility of one of those small mufflers next to the exhaust tip in place of the resonator. Might get some unwanted noise if i delete whats there though.

Other options are replace it with a larger one or just get used to it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mufflers help with volume/loudness and resonators help with drone/frequency cancellation from what I've read over the years. But it can be so trial and error.
Some exhaust shops will let you hear different setups on your car, I wonder if one near you would do That?
The rav4 comes with a massive stock muffler to keep volume way down, your magnaflow is only half or a third of its size.
Maybe find a shop that will try out a second magnaflow muffler in line with your new one to see if that cuts the volume enough for you, or they could try fitting the largest resonator possible after your new muffler. Hard for me to say though, others with rav4 exhausts may have better suggestions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts