Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TCCN has a 2GR-FE coolant change video and though it's based on the 2nd generation HL, but I wanted to try it out on the RAV4 since it should be similar. It's been 4 years since a shop changed out my water pump, so the coolant they had put in had about 32k usage time. This is just one method of changing the coolant which doesn't involve using distilled water to flush the silicates out as I had done many years ago. There are other methods of changing/flushing out the coolant, so use whichever method you feel comfortable with.

These are the parts I used:
Remove the lower panel, reach inside to turn the drain plug.
Grey Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle

There isn't a specific drain hole for the coolant to pass through, but as long as there's bucket or pan underneath, it won't splash elsewhere. This step took 1.5 hours (o_O) to drain to a drip and had I known about it, I would've started before lunch. My HL was much faster, at most 10 minutes, so YMMV.
Food Cookware and bakeware Ingredient Kitchen appliance Material property

This is the stock bleeder valve with the clear vinyl tubing.
Automotive tire Bird Rim Bumper Auto part

The RAV4 has the overflow container and fill port combined and a threaded cap, unlike the HL. None of the twist-on caps worked, so I took gaskets off from two caps and attached them to the funnel directly, and installed over the fill port.
Motor vehicle Light Yellow Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Fill the coolant according to the instruction from the video.
Automotive tire Hood Tire Asphalt Automotive lighting

Start the vehicle and turn off climate control. I used a piece of hardwood flooring to keep the tachometer above 2.5k from a cold start and 2k throughout the air bleeding process.
Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Font Automotive lighting

The tubing end at the funnel was originally submersed within the funnel and coolant was flowing, but I had to readjust it so the air could bleed out. The air bleeding process doesn't take too long, probably about 15 minutes at most until you see the steady flow.
Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design Automotive exterior

Overall, it's an easy process and would've been quicker had the old coolant drained faster.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If you flushed and filled with water to circulated then there will be water inside the block instead of coolant. If you flushed it but did not circulated the water by running the engine then no additional water will be in the block. If you use concentrated coolant you can adjust for what is in the block plus what you add to the system. If you use 50/50 premixed coolant it will be weaker if you flushed and circulated the water.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I flushed but did NOT circulate water through it, only used Toyota's premixed 50/50 coolant for the entire process. I'm sure there's still some residue of the previous coolant, but majority is gone and shouldn't have much impact.
That's good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts