Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Rav4 V6 that somehow got a foreign piece of metal into the intake and wrapped itself around my valves for cyl 1 and now i have no compression in cyl3. Im assuming bits and pieces made it into the valvetrain and bent a valve or something but the Mechanic recommenced a replacement engine as mine has 170k miles. They dont want to remove the valve cover due to the mileage so im going to take it to another shop for a second opinion but just in case, Can any 2grfe be swapped in? Or does it have to be from a rav4? Also what year did they fix the oil issues in the 2grfe? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
That is hard to believe since you have an air filter to stop debris. Explain how this happen? Did someone or you did something? Yes get another opinion since a new engine is five grand. It would be cheaper to just fix the engine than getting another one. There were no oil issues with the V6. You are getting confused with the 2.4 litre oil burner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is hard to believe since you have an air filter to stop debris. Explain how this happen? Did someone or you did something? Yes get another opinion since a new engine is five grand. It would be cheaper to just fix the engine than getting another one. There were no oil issues with the V6. You are getting confused with the 2.4 litre oil burner.
Tell me about it, im wondering how a freeze plug would make it past the filter, past the throttle body and into the intake plenum. it sounds crazy that someone would open my hood (i live in a quiet area, sometimes i leave my door unlocked), undo the air box and place those in my intake, i mean why not just slash my tires? I did my spark plugs last summer and im sure nothing got into the intake while it was off, other than that i havent worked on the car with the intake off. i have a camera facing my driveway now because of this and some random nails and screws i have found on my driveway that im sure were not there the day before. I live in a very quiet area but i wouldn't be surprised if someone DID do it. its a sucky position to be in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if I have followed the discussion correctly but, I too find it hard to believe some metal from external got into the intake. Perhaps it was part of a spring for the throttle body or ?. Did it just quit...make some strange noises then quit? Did the mechanic take pictures or give you the piece of metal? Just trying to think outside the box.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could stick a camera in there and snoop around. These things are handy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Heres a picture of the metal around the valve, Ill try the camera idea and see if i can find anything.

I was driving home from work and after a wide open throttle run i got a constant misfire and a flashing check engine light, so i limped it home and then i pulled the intake, found a complete freeze plug rattling around inside and one that got chewed up by the valves. I removed the chewed up one with a magnetic tool but im guessing bits and pieces already made their way into the valve train or maybe chewed up the cylinder wall.
I took it today to the mechanic and he says its got too many miles (almost 170k) to pull the valve cover to check whats wrong and recommended a new or rebuilt motor. Im going to take it to a different shop that is going to run a leakdown test. Prior to all this the motor was running perfect.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Tell me about it, im wondering how a freeze plug would make it past the filter, past the throttle body and into the intake plenum. it sounds crazy that someone would open my hood (i live in a quiet area, sometimes i leave my door unlocked), undo the air box and place those in my intake, i mean why not just slash my tires? I did my spark plugs last summer and im sure nothing got into the intake while it was off, other than that i havent worked on the car with the intake off. i have a camera facing my driveway now because of this and some random nails and screws i have found on my driveway that im sure were not there the day before. I live in a very quiet area but i wouldn't be surprised if someone DID do it. its a sucky position to be in.
Who ever did this must be real sick. I doubt that freeze plug is from your car since that is too much trouble for someone to know how to find it and get it off.o_O

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
How could a freeze plug get into your intake since freeze plugs are located farther down on engine blocks, unless as suggested someone deliberately put it there? If the plug had been removed from its place on your vehicle - not an easy task - the coolant would have drained out through the hole. Either someone has deliberately sabotaged your vehicle or the plug somehow had been in the intake system from the start and slowly worked its way to an intake valve opening. Bizarre situation. Will be interesting to have your post about the leakdown test and any other further info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This could not have been a freeze plug. The freeze plug is on the side of the motor protecting the water galleys. The piece of metal shown appears to have been introduced into the top of the head where the oil is dispersed to the rockers and valves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts