Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else found the V6 is a little reluctant to kick-down when accelarating hard from, say 35mph.

I've found that rather than kicking down to second, it'll go down to third and build up RPM from about 3000 towards the red line. This has resulted a little bit less oomph than I'm expecting on occassions. It might be programmed this way to make the most of the engine's torque curve, but I find it a bit strange.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Noticed this the other day...just about the same thing your talking about, I think. I've only experienced it once, though.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baron G said:
Has anyone else found the V6 is a little reluctant to kick-down when accelarating hard from, say 35mph.

I've found that rather than kicking down to second, it'll go down to third and build up RPM from about 3000 towards the red line. This has resulted a little bit less oomph than I'm expecting on occassions. It might be programmed this way to make the most of the engine's torque curve, but I find it a bit strange.
Yes, I've noticed this, though what I think you're trying to describe is a "double kickdown" -- first to third, and then to second. It is mildly annoying to me, but I'm still really happy with the overall performance of this car, especially at highway speeds (say, 45mph and up), where I get pretty instantaneous response and a NICE surge when I need it.

Went through a toll booth recently, and a driver next to, but BEHIND, me thought she'd cut me off as we both accelerated hard to merge into fewer traffic lanes. Not a chance, and her frustration resulted in her offering me the universal sign of ill-will. So sorry!

Part of the change for me is just driving an automatic tranny. I've been driving manuals forever -- like twenty three years exclusively -- and I miss that degree of control where it would take me just a moment to put it in second (to use your example) from fourth. Still, I can't complain overall with how this thing drives, though occasionally the response is not perfectly seamless or "intuitive" to the way I drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts