Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December, I ordered a fully loaded v6, black with leather. :D My dealer told me that on the 15th and 31st of each month, they can see what's coming in their next delivery So, on the 31st I called to see if they could tell if I would have my Rav4 by 02/15 as promised.

Well, my salesman was off that day, but the sales manager told me that they weren't expecting to get any Rav4s until at least 30 - 60 days! I can't wait that long! I traded in my old piece of junk and used it as a down payment for my son's car. Now we're sharing and it's driving me nuts.

The next day, my salesman called me back and told me that Toyota had not allocated any v6 limiteds with leather to the New England area! How can that even be possible? Don't people in N.E. deserve leather too? She then told me not to worry because they special ordered mine. Well, that's fine except that I have no idea what the exact configuration of mine is. I wanted to refine my option selections, but they never asked, so how do they know what I wanted. In response she told me that no one really special orders one with exactly what they want or else they would need to wait months for it to come from the factory. Instead, they are sent to the dealers in pre-defined configurations and my order means that they will sell me the one that comes closest to what I want.

Does this sound right? :shock: Keep in mind that I have done business with this dealer before. They are nice people and have great service policies, so I don't think that they are trying to give me a hard time or rip me off. I just think that they might be misinformed.

Comments?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll share with you my experience.

My husband and I both really love our dealer in Milwaukee, WI. When he decided he wanted a 4Runner (the third vehicle we purchased from them), there were very specific things he wanted. He ordered it exactly as he wanted, they placed the order, and his truck arrived in Milwaukee via boat and then truck straight from Japan. So his really was ordered exactly the way he wanted it.

When I decided to get a newer Rav, we visited the same dealer, same salesman. He wrote it up as I wanted it (essentially an "L" package with manual transmission) and placed the order. A few weeks later I called to check the status and he said he was still trying to get the Toyota guy in charge of our region to put it through. Eventually he called and told me that it would be virtually impossible to get the Rav as I wanted it. There was a small chance he could get it eventually, but it would take months.

My understanding of the problem I had (which I think is the same as your problem) is that in my region, they absoultely, positively did not receive Ravs with manual transmission except the base model, EVER. Essentially, Toyota did not allow that configuration to be sold in my region. Thus, my dealer could not snag a Rav that was slated to be sent to a dealer in, say, Chicago and have it sent to them instead. They also could not locate the Rav I wanted elsewhere in the country, make a deal to get it here, and sell it to me. Apparently it's simply not done that way.

Ultimately, I located the Rav I wanted in Boston, made a deal by phone with the dealer there, and executed the transaction by fax and Fedex. We traveled to Boston, had a lovely vacation, and drove the Rav home a few days later.

NOW, all that said, my advice to you is if you can get the Rav equipped the way you want it but without the leather, BUY IT! Trust me, leather is the last thing in the world that should be a deal breaker...leather is EASY.

My Rav didn't come with leather, and I didn't even want the factory leather, but my Rav sure does have leather now!!! For about the same price as factory leather you can go to an auto trim place and get some really beautiful leather done exactly the way you want it. There are TONS of options, and they are guaranteed to work with seat mounted side airbags. Go to www.katzkin.com and click the "installer search" to find somebody near you.

Hope this helps!

Becky

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Once again, Becky comes through with some outstanding advice! :D I never would have thought about aftermarket leather and had forgotten that she had done it already herself. 8)

Tweaks me a little that Katzkin doesn't even list the RAV4 on its website, but I suppose they don't have room for every car in the universe... :?

So, a V6 Flint Mica Sport can almost be a consideration for me again, but there's always the loss of automatic climate control and heated power seat.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Becky. My next issue is that I want the heated seats which I don't think you can get without factory leather. Can I get after market heated seats too?

Lastly, when the dealer told me 30 - 60 days for a v6, it wasn't just for leather, it was for ANY v6! Does anybody know if this is true or have any other insight into when I can reasonably expect to get my but behind the wheel of any v6?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
422 Posts
Tweaks me a little that Katzkin doesn't even list the RAV4 on its website, but I suppose they don't have room for every car in the universe...
Yeah, I know what you mean. But my auto trim shop had no problem getting it, and I'm sure that'll be true of the 4.3 as well. Katzkin seems to be really on the ball as far as being able to get just about anything.

As for the heated seats, as flyingn says, you can most definitely get heated (and cooled if you so desire) seats with the aftermarket leather. Mine are heated and they are definitely nice and toasty in winter!

Becky

·
Registered
654 Posts
karrock said:
So, a V6 Flint Mica Sport can almost be a consideration for me again, but there's always the loss of automatic climate control and heated power seat.
Katzkin offers seat heaters and "cooling" seats.

I just might have to take Becky's advice and get leather in the front one day! I love the color options.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tweaks me a little that Katzkin doesn't even list the RAV4 on its website, but I suppose they don't have room for every car in the universe...
Katzkin has Rav4's listed under Toyota Trucks for 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, and 2004.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Yep! I just noticed it myself bringing up their website again while pondering a Nautical Blue that doesn't come with heated factory leather. :wink:

It wasn't there when I posted the annoyance, so I'm glad someone at Katzkin has remedied the omission! 8)

Still no '06 information there tho...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts