Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my brand new Barc Red Limited tonight. Woo Hoo!! Only 5 miles on the odomoter. Double Woo Hoo!! Driving home and then stopping for pizza the cabin began to smell like burning rubber (no I wasn't putting the pedal to the metal). The smell only got worse on the way home. I called the dealer once I got home and he said in brand new cars this smell is normal (??) - something about it burning off the factory ^@%(#...

Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Only 5 miles, yes that is normal, just like after an oil change you smell the burning oil that was spilled, you are smelling the manufacturing oils, chemicals, treatments on the metal parts, this is the first time you new engine has gotten that hot for that long before.

If it had a few more miles on it, test driven a lot, you would have missed one of joys of having a new car.

Do you know what that new car smell is? it is the outgasing of the plastic materials, it will also cause the windows to fog up until that new car smell is gone.

All new cars do this.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes, normal and nothing to worry about. BarnyFife is right about the outgassing of the plastics. Make sure you keep the inside of your windows clean as well as the outside.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I picked up my limited with 7 miles on it, there was no "burning rubber" smell. Maybe my dealer did a better detail job?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts