Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scanned and placed the instructions in my album, look at removal line 3, it says to remove cap with special tool marked item #3 in figure #4, it looks like a standard oil filter "cap" type socket wrench tool, is that what this special tool, is?

Oil Filter Wrench
[Photos/links inserted by moderator]

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
A strap wrench would be hard to use, room for the handle to swing would be the problem, I tried a band type filter wrench, the only position I could get swing room was up above the plastic shield, the oil pan is in the way on the other side. The cap type wrench worked pretty good cuz you can use a ratchet on it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Filter canister takes a 65-67mm, 3/8 drive cap type of filter wrench, as described in PDF previously posted on changing oil in the Avalon (same engine as RAV4.3 V6) Just did mine this weekend and it fit like a glove!

OC

·
Registered
282 Posts
I haven't gotten under my Rav4 V6 yet, but if I buy a torque wrench to do this job, should I be concerned about the length of the handle? Is there much room around the filter housing...or with a 3/8" socket extension on the wrench, does it become a non-issue?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need an extension even without using a torque wrench, I think the reason the instructions say to torque these parts down is the fact that the flter housing has no give when it hits the stopping point, or in other words when you screw it in all the way it just plain stops dead metal to metal, and everything is aluminum down there so how do you know if it is too tight.

I am a factory certified Segway service tech and my toolkit for them includes 3 good torque wrenches so I am able to torque mine down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just an FYI - Husband just did the first oil/filter change on my V6 Rav4 and the 65-67mm, 3/8 drive cap type of filter wrench for the Filter canister worked much better if you cut off the lower portion [the 67mm] of it. He had a terrible time of it slipping around because it was too deep and it wouldn't allow the canister to reach the 65 mm portion. He just sawed the bottom portion off of it.

For anyone having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
The 65mm tool from Napa fits perfect, no need to do any cutting, but if you already have the multi fit tool, why not. :wink:

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
They don't know what they're talking about, although it works there, it's not solely what it's intended for. The bottom right graphic shows exactly where it goes when reinstalling the drain cap.

Tim

·
Registered
394 Posts
mmmyRAV4 said:
Just an FYI - Husband just did the first oil/filter change on my V6 Rav4 and the 65-67mm, 3/8 drive cap type of filter wrench for the Filter canister worked much better if you cut off the lower portion [the 67mm] of it. He had a terrible time of it slipping around because it was too deep and it wouldn't allow the canister to reach the 65 mm portion. He just sawed the bottom portion off of it.

For anyone having the same problem.
I bought the $4 plastic 65/67mm from Napa too. Wouldn't turn the filter cap...kept slipping, so I cut the 67mm portion off. It still kept slipping bad.

So I'm going to purchase KD Tools' metal 65mm filter wrench. It wasn't available at my local Napa store. Searched several online dealers, including Napaonline.com. The cheapest shipped price I could find is:

http://drivewerks.com/catalog/ShopCart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT213_pg5.htm

It's $11.17 shipped.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I found out today that the steel NAPA tool is discontinued, replaced by the resin 65/67 mm version. I bought one of those, cut it down and it works just dandy. All I can surmise is that others who had problems with it didn't get it on far enough, or there was pre-existing damage to their filter housing. Mine fits so tight that I have to wiggle it off using the extension.

The NEW part number is NAPA P/N 3860 (made by KD Tools)

Beware of cheaper resin versions without the steel insert in the drive hole - they can break at that spot without it. I still wish I had one of the old, all steel versions...

When you install the tool over the housing, rap it with your handle so that it seats tight onto the flats, and you shouldn't have any slippage problems.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate to hear that, I am so happy that I was able to get one of the original models that fits PERFECTLY.

Everyone should check their local NAPA store to see if they still have some old stock. If you have a V6 it is worth it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just ordered the KD3253 all metal 65 mm from Amazon for $6.44. If you order $25 or more of you get free shipping. :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
LOL : I ended up buying an eclectic variety to hit the magic $25 mark - some Braun electric razor cleaner and a CD that my wife wanted. 8)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Excellent. I wanted some drill bits on sale at $19.99 and needed a filler to get over the $25 mark. This worked out perfect. Currently using a universal filter removal tool but it's not the best in the world. Thanks Forest.

·
Registered
656 Posts
007. That's similar to the one I am presently using. It works but it's kind of a hassle to use and tends to slip off. Who knows? Maybe this one is better quality.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts