Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

V6 Oil Change, oil filter access

38K views 107 replies 21 participants last post by  DittoDude 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where the oil filter is located on the V6, it looks really tight in the engine compartment and I will be doing my own oil changes when I get my Rav.

G
#2 ·
Well, since you haven't gotten a response, yet...

If the 3.5 is based on the 3.3 and the 3.3 is based on the 3.0, then the oil filter location should be the same as the 3.0 on my Camry.

My Camry's filter is located at the front of the engine under the front bank of cylinders under the exhaust manifold. It's pretty easy to access (from the top) with one of those molded oil filter wrenches that fit on the end of a ratchet and using a 3/4" or 1.5" extension. However, I always end up dripping oil on the front engine mount.

Hopefully, the RAV4 engine compartment isn't much tighter.

G
#6 ·
What about the I4 Rav?

I looked under my hood in the area you spoke about for the V6. I did not see an oil filter. Am I supposed to be looking for a filter or cartridge? Excuse my ignorance but I am a woman just trying to familarize myself with the engine and looking for basic parts of my engine. :?
So what does an oil cartidge look like? :?:

G
#9 ·
A spin-on oil filter is an oil filter inside of a metal "can" that threads onto a port on the engine somewhere. This is the traditional type of oil filter that we're used to seeing.

An oil filter cartridge (or cartridge type oil filter) is a flat (?) oil filter without the case that slides in somewhere in the engine.

A previous poster identified that the V6 RAV likely has an oil filter cartridge located somewhere at the bottom of the engine. Probably can't see it from above. I'd look underneath for some sort of rectangular door/opening in the vicinity of the oil pan. Sorry, I can't help much. I've never seen an engine that uses a cartridge type filter.

#10 ·
I think the 'cartridge' moniker is confusing.

Imagine a spin-on oil filter, but without the actual exterior can/housing. That's how the new filter looks like; it's just the filter element itself.

It is located at the very bottom of the engine, so you can't see it from the top.

There's a how-to based on the new Avalon with pics. I'll try and dig it up to post the link.

edit: found the link

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

#11 ·
These types have been around for a while and are in many different types of vehicles. Alot of GM, VW and now Toyota. Its a more "Eco Friendly" design and is relatively easy to change. With its positioning there is oil that comes out when you remove the cover and there are those rings you have to install to ensure a good seal each time you replace the "cartridge".

Overall its a pretty easy install and doesn't require one of those filter wrenches but instead you can use the standard rachet without a socket on it to remove the cap.

The filters for now are a dealer item for the next few months. So even if you get a V6 RAV tomorrow you'll probably be bringing it to Toyota for its first oil change. The 3.5 should be a great motor. Hope everyone has fun with it. I'm expecting the tire business, generated by all the power hungry people spinning tires with all the new power, to be huge.

Later. M. :D

G
#12 ·
That's allot different than the old fashioned way I saw an oil filter being changed. In my prior cars the old was drained and then the oil fillter removed and replaced with a new one.
I guess after a few changes one gtes used to it but it really looks like its allot mre work

#16 ·
I crawled under my new Rav4 V6 last night and it looks exactly like the cartridge assembly detailed in the pdf that mhgsx posted. My thanks to mhgsx for the information. I think that I would have been shocked when I did my first oil change as I did not even know that the cartridge system was used on vehicles other than tractors and industrial engines.

#18 ·
One of my personal peeves when buying a new car is to determine how easy and accessible the oil filter is, since I do the majority of the maintenance myself.

This car will be replacing my wife's CRV and the Honda's oil filter placement ranks 2nd on my list of why I hate her car. (the first being lack of power, despite having the manual transmission). I have to wrap the subframe with aluminum foil to keep the oil from dripping everywhere (it gets inside the subframe tubing).

When I had my Lexus IS300, the oil filter was also placed in a BS location. When you spun the filter off, it just spilled oil completely along the side of the engine block.

When I saw the pix for the 3.5L V6, that became the determing factor for purchasing this car. :lol:

#20 ·
wow I have to do the EXACT same thing on my Suzuki XL7.. The tin foil trick I have been doing for almost 4 years..

mhgsx said:

This car will be replacing my wife's CRV and the Honda's oil filter placement ranks 2nd on my list of why I hate her car. (the first being lack of power, despite having the manual transmission). I have to wrap the subframe with aluminum foil to keep the oil from dripping everywhere (it gets inside the subframe tubing).

. :lol:

#21 ·
camaro oill changes

I have a Camaro with the same problem. I fold up a piece of cardboard like a "V" to let the oil drain down into the pan.

I have never seen the type of oil filter that is on the V6 RAV, so it will be interesting when I have to do that first oil change. I will probably buy a few "cartridges" from the dealer right away. Save some trips with the frequency of the first oil changes.

#22 ·
Hi everyone, first post for this old newbie here!! I don't have my new Rav4 yet, I'll take delivery sometime late this week after the 4x4 V6 arrives in port and gets the receiver hitch installed. I've been researching the oil filter and appreciate the .pdf file posted, thanks!! I found several aftermarket sources for the Avalon filter, dunno for sure if it's the same kit, will ask the Toyota parts guy if it takes the same filter kit. If it is, I'll order the kit below, dunno if the kit includes the filter element and the O-rings, I would think so, $7.20 makes for some expensive O-rings!!

Thanks for a great forum!!

Tim

Oil Filter Kit

#23 ·
mhgsx said:
Same story here, my wife has a '99 CRV. I wasn't expecting to like it very much, but over time have come to realize that it's been a great car for us. One thing I don't appreciate is the oil filter placement! Honda had some trouble with CRVs catching on fire after oil changes. It seems that the quick lube places didn't clean up the oil that leaked on the exhaust, and when it got hot enough it was causing fires. Defintely not the best design I've seen :)

DJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.