Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at my local dealer, he sells the V6 oil filter kit for less than $4 each when 2 or more are purchased, got 6 OEM filters for less the $26 including tax!! It pays to shop around!!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those that can't get this deal from their local dealer, TRDparts4U sells em for $3.99 each, got this email from them.

Hello!
The oil filters for your new rav4 is
Part # 04152-31090 ELEMENT
The price is $3.99 each, so $39.90 for a case of 10, plus about $8.00
shipping.
Sorry, these do not come under our special deal on filters, as these are
special cartridges.

We also carry many other quality parts specifically designed for your
Toyota. When you are ready to order or if you have more questions please
e-mail [email protected]. Thanks for considering www.trdparts4u.com
and www.toyotapartsales.com your one stop source for Genuine Toyota
Parts, OME, ARB and TRD parts and accessories. *Price and availability
are subject to change.

Best Regards,
Barbara W. King
Barbara W. King
Parts Internet Sales
www.TRDparts4U.com

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought 5W-20 as recommended by the TSB, will change when I hit 500 miles.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
I bought 5W-20 as recommended by the TSB, will change when I hit 500 miles.
That TSB you're referring to says that 5W20 'can' be used. It doesn't say it *must* be used.

Call me old fashioned, but I'll take the extra protection the 30 weight oil will provide versus the 20 weight.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It states that because those are the only engines that qualitfy for its use. It also states.....

ILSAC GF–4 SAE 5W–20
This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the U.S. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance.
Good enough for me when Toyota endorses it!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Toyota is making a blanket statement for the whole US. Remember the US covers a lot of territory. I would have to believe if you live in a southern state like I do then the 5-30 or even 10-30 would be much better for your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it's my place to judge why Toyota or any mfr makes recommendations or changes requirements or put geographic qualifications on their requirements, but they are the mfr of the vehicle and should know what oil is best.

They aren't the only or first mfr recommending 5W20 oil in modern engines, Ford, Honda and Mazda have used it for several years, Ford even recommends it in their heavy tow vehicles.

It's also the required oil for the new Hemi DOD engines.

If there's anything I've learned in the last 58yrs, I can always learn something new and thinking in old fashioned ways isn't always the best route to take.

Either way, since the owner's manual states 5W30 oil, Toyota can't expect everyone to know about their TSB, so it should never be a problem.

Can't find it now, I've read so much info on the subject, but the factory fill in the 2GR-FE is 5W20 !!

We're not the first to discuss this subject, either....

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....73ada8dd55?lnk=st&q=&rnum=20#450a7a73ada8dd55

http://www.iantaylor.org.uk/papers/IMechEReview.pdf

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey flyinGN a while back did you post a link where one could purchase the Pur One oil filter/cartridge for the V6? I can't find one anywhere, and I really don't want the "no name brand" Pep Boys doesn't even have a part number for the V6 filter from any manufacturer. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Did my first oil change today, as I am approaching 1k miles. Also had to get filter kit from the dealer, can't be found in any automotive stores around here as of yet......

Cartridge cap came off easy, as did the cartridge body. I like the way cartridge almost snaps in - you don't have to worry about over-tightening it, almost foolproof, just make sure the O-rings are in place. Overall, an easy job for DIYers, even though the filter is an unorthodox design. :)

OC

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cartridge design is old technology, all filters were cartridge type before spin-ons were developed. They're still used in a lot of commercial/industrial applications. Cut a spin-on cannister open and the cartridge element inside will look a lot like the Toyota filter.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Must have been from the late Cretaceous era, 'cause this is the first time in over thirty some years of DIY oil changes that I've ever remembered reloading a filter cartridge!! :lol:
But, cool, it's an easy job and not very messy with the bleeder hose!

OC

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts