Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my Rav4 wanders (almost to a scary point) when passing full power from about 50 mph as if one of the suspension bushings are loose or broken. Has anyone experienced this and know of a solution? I checked underneath and checked all the suspension bushings with a prybar and they are fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,933 Posts
Sure it's not torque steer? How long have you had it? Has the 3rd recall for the rear suspension been done?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll double check the suspension. The Rav has 270k miles so I'm thinking it's the motor/transmission mounts going bad. Oh I wasn't aware of the recall for the rear suspension. Do you have a link for that? I'm quite sure it's not torque steer as it's AWD...I haven't experieced torque steer even in first gear full power acceleration.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
With our '11 V6 RAV4 I have strong torque steer only in the first two gears at heavy or full throttle.At first it was somewhat frightening since it was unexpected and nearly moved the RAV4 into someone else's lane, but I quickly learned about how to be ready for and control it.

For really potentially dangerous torque steer try find and drive a manual shift Nissan V6 Altima - at anything approaching strong acceleration in lower gears can easily shoot the car completely off course - takes some effort to control it.

PS - no wander with my RAV4 when using heavy throttle in the 50 mph range.

·
Registered
173 Posts
But the OP is at 50mph passing! That's downshifting from 5th to the 4th gear. Maybe the 3rd if full open.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I noticed my Rav4 wanders (almost to a scary point) when passing full power from about 50 mph as if one of the suspension bushings are loose or broken. Has anyone experienced this and know of a solution? I checked underneath and checked all the suspension bushings with a prybar and they are fine.
Is that when you change lanes? Because then I would suspect worn rear shocks. The rear shocks are installed in an slight angle and they help stabilizing lateral movements of the body too, not just up-down.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it's when I change lanes mostly. The shocks actually dampen the car quite well and has no leaks, and are still very stiff. Maybe it's a combination of all the suspension linkage rubber bushings aging...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would maybe check the steering rack, maybe the bushings where it is bolted to the vehicle, might move a bit when pulled as your wheels change direction a bit on the little humps from heavy trucks or crown in the road or just torque steer easily moves the rack back and forth depending on the force on it. Not sure the amount of rubber between the bolt and mount on a rav4 but if it is a large chunk in there thats all deteriorated or broken it could cause issues. Of course check for wear on the tires which would indicate worn or out of alignment suspension or steering components, and might give you a hint as to where the problem is. Could be anything really with that issue or a combination of things.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll double check the suspension. The Rav has 270k miles so I'm thinking it's the motor/transmission mounts going bad. Oh I wasn't aware of the recall for the rear suspension. Do you have a link for that? I'm quite sure it's not torque steer as it's AWD...I haven't experieced torque steer even in first gear full power acceleration.
You don't want to do the rear lower control arm epoxy recall. If you need to do an alignment you need to take those control arms apart and get new ones since they are glued together with epoxy. The best prevention is ensure there is enough grease inside to prevent the threads from rusting.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it, I'll definitly check the steering rack.
And thank for the tip regarding the epoxy work.
And yes tire pressure is right where they should be.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The recommended tire pressure is always on the low side IMO. 40-45 psi will dramatically improve handling. 30-35 is a flat tire in comparison. I have run as high as 60 psi on heavy sedans with thin sidewalls. Your rolling resistance will go down and mpg will go up. We have 29.5" offroad tires on ours and get 26 mpg in the summer at 45,40 psi front,rear.

check alignment, linkages, and bushings. Ours has 300,000 miles and needs a few things in the spring. Sway bar links, wheel bearing, u joint. Normal stuff that changes handling.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Maybe it's a combination of all the suspension linkage rubber bushings aging...
You didn't say anything about car year and miles. The rubber bushings indeed age and become soft. On the Lower Control Arm is almost impossible to check that with a crowbar, but on my older cars replacing the whole LCA always made a lot of difference.
You should be able to tell if is the rear that wanders or the front. The front you would feel it on straight line, you would have to constantly micro-adjust the steering when driving in a straight line due to play (dead zone) being too wide. Usually you should rotate the stering wheel less that 1 inch without the wheels moving.

40-45 psi will dramatically improve handling. 30-35 is a flat tire in comparison.
45psi is not only dangerous for tires (especially in the summer heat), it lowers the tire's grip (braking and lateral g forces), and it also sending all the road's high frequency shocks into the suspension elements. You are hammering all the rubber bushings, the lower ball joints...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
You didn't say anything about car year and miles. The rubber bushings indeed age and become soft. On the Lower Control Arm is almost impossible to check that with a crowbar, but on my older cars replacing the whole LCA always made a lot of difference.
You should be able to tell if is the rear that wanders or the front. The front you would feel it on straight line, you would have to constantly micro-adjust the steering when driving in a straight line due to play (dead zone) being too wide. Usually you should rotate the stering wheel less that 1 inch without the wheels moving.
45psi is not only dangerous for tires (especially in the summer heat), it lowers the tire's grip (braking and lateral g forces), and it also sending all the road's high frequency shocks into the suspension elements. You are hammering all the rubber bushings, the lower ball joints...
Plus too high a tire pressure will wear out your tires very quickly. I run 35 in mine and that seems to be a good compromise.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sure did.....2006 Sport V6 AWD 270,000 miles
Missed that. With that age and miles, rubber in all the bushings is probably on its way out.
My cars from 2001 era all needed some TLC on suspension bushings at 15-18 years. Sure they are not Toyota, but IMO rubber is rubber, nothing magical about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts