Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering downsizing and going from a Land Rover to a 2011 Rav4 V6 with trailer tow package (but no hitch or wiring is currently on the vehicle). My teardrop trailer weighs around 1200 lbs but has a 7-pin connector and I use a trailer brake controller with the Land Rover. Can I get a 7-pin trailer wiring harness and use my brake controller with the Rav4? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere so I'm looking for help. All I've seen is 4-pin and some sort of secondary harness. This could make or break the deal.
Also, how do those air bag helper springs work that are placed inside the rear coils? Worthwhile? One nice feature of the Land Rover is self-leveling air suspension.
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Your Teardrop won't have enough tongue weight to be concerned about air bags unless for some reason you want it absolutely level. You will lose some mileage depending on tow speeds but your V6 will tow effortlessly.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
My teardrop trailer weighs around 1200 lbs but has a 7-pin connector and I use a trailer brake controller with the Land Rover. Can I get a 7-pin trailer wiring harness and use my brake controller with the Rav4? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere so I'm looking for help. All I've seen is 4-pin and some sort of secondary harness. This could make or break the deal.
You can go visit Etrailer.com to check their equipment out. They have install videos specifically for the RAV4 also. You need to purchase the trailer light wiring and any other necessary equipment you don't have. You may be able to use your brake controller.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was just thinking that... my boat is heavier than your teardrop trailer, you'll be ok without brakes.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I wouldn't skip the brake controller. He's used to it on his Rover and can transfer it, so why not have the extra safety factor. Especially since it's likely that campers get towed quite a ways farther than boats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts