Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
I'm looking ot buy my first rav4 here are the two models I'm very interested in.

2008 V6 sport
120,000km
body top shape
11,000$

2010 V6 sport
104,000km
Picutres don't reveal if the suv is as good as the 2008 I guess I'll need to see.
12,600$

the 2010 is from a private owner so with taxes the suv end up being a bit more expensive.

What are the things I need to look at?
I've been told the to look for any leaks from the drive shaft seal.
Are there any other things I'd need to look for?

grendeb

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
With the 2008 V6s there has been an abnormal percentage of coolant pump failures. Suggest that Toyota records be checked to determine whether the pump has been replaced - one can go to www.toyotaowners.com and enter the VIN, which will reveal work done by Toyota service departments - routine servicing, recalls, and replacements and repairs. Also suggest that the 2010 V6 be checked in the same manner, but pump failures apparently haven't been a problem with that year. Also one can go to Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN|| to check for recall information.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I would go for the 2010 since it is newer and has less mileage. Plus, you should be able to talk the owner down a little on the price. That's assuming it's in as good shape as the 2008.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the 2008 V6s there has been an abnormal percentage of coolant pump failures. Suggest that Toyota records be checked to determine whether the pump has been replaced - one can go to www.toyotaowners.com and enter the VIN, which will reveal work done by Toyota service departments - routine servicing, recalls, and replacements and repairs. Also suggest that the 2010 V6 be checked in the same manner, but pump failures apparently haven't been a problem with that year. Also one can go to Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN|| to check for recall information.
Thanks a lot for the info.
The car was not recalled but I found it cost 90$ for the pump so if it broke I guess the previous owner just changed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I met a guy the other night he had a v6 sport limited.
He had 2 nice features I'd like to know if these are only on the limited models
1-downhill assist button you press and it will brake each second or so ideal when loaded with a trailer
2-Rear camera in the mirror

is anybody knows if the 2008 or 2010 has this?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I met a guy the other night he had a v6 sport limited.
He had 2 nice features I'd like to know if these are only on the limited models
1-downhill assist button you press and it will brake each second or so ideal when loaded with a trailer
2-Rear camera in the mirror

is anybody knows if the 2008 or 2010 has this?
There is no such thing as a "sport limited" as far as I know...you have base, sport and limited...
The downhill assist was on all v6 models and models with the 3rd row seat...not sure if the 06-08 has it, but the 09-12 ones do for sure...and if I recall the backup camera in the mirror was available on sport and limited...I will say the factor backup camera setup is pretty useless...better off to get something aftermarket...you can find the sales brochure for whatever year rav you want by Googling it...that will tell you available options for model and year...

·
Registered
419 Posts
You from Canada or USA - you quote mileage in Km / so what currency, is the price tag in?

We purchased a Doctors car private, 2008 Limited, v6, leather, moonroof, heated seats & wipers, driver seat full power, etc.
Only 89,600 Km / 55,000 miles.
- I asked that it be Toyota certified, e-tested / further 2 year transferable full warranty, was included
- never used the hill assist button / great traction with Michelin snow tires & 4x4 model (its a tank)
- no rear view camera either, on our '08
Got it for $11,3K US$ total invested, including 13% provincial tax & installed brand new Firestone Le2 tires on day1 ($717 Canadian).
- Doctor spent $450 on safety with new rear brake pads & was kind enough to have the $1,090 annual Toyota maintenance performed.
We couldn't be happier.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
Downhill assist is indeed on 2008 V-6 models, both of ours have it. It is NOT intended to be used with a trailer in tow. The gearshift lever must be in L or R, below 15MPH, and it attempts to keep speeds at 3MPH while descending.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Downhill assist is indeed on 2008 V-6 models, both of ours have it. It is NOT intended to be used with a trailer in tow. The gearshift lever must be in L or R, below 15MPH, and it attempts to keep speeds at 3MPH while descending.
The strangest challenge for me with downhill assist was to just let it do its thing. No hitting the brakes or gas. Just go. Amazing feature.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The strangest challenge for me with downhill assist was to just let it do its thing. No hitting the brakes or gas. Just go. Amazing feature.
i find it to be a completely worthless feature...have yet to have a need for it and i prefer to be in control...and since i use tires that have excellent grip the need for individual wheels braking is of no use to me...i would rather have a switch that disables abs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts