Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

Previously I asked for recommendation on Rav4 Sport V6 2008 vs 2010.
Finally after 1,5 years looking at those cars I pull the trigger on a Sport V6 2010 w/ 135,000 Kilo

I've had for only two days of course I love it! Having 269Hp remember me of my Volvo S60R 300hp but this SUV will meet much more my needs.
I sold my volvo and bought a Corolla for something a bit more comfortable and economic now a Rav4 for hunting, hiking and camping.
I've seen roof tent which are more expensive than I thought or a caravan although the limitation is 3500lbs there are some offering at good weight/cost compared to a roof tent.

What do you guys have/recommend roof tent/caravan?
Is having a 2800lbs caravan a pain to drive or there's enough power and brake for the V6Sport to pull this?

I'm looking for lighting ideas as hunting gooses needs a lot of preparation before the sunrise, a big LED bar on the roof would be ideal although I don't believe it'd be really nice looking any other solutions? LED Fog lights? I haven't seen much on google search...
Thanks in advance
Grendeb

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Roof Tent
You would need a heavy duty roof rack and then a tent like this. Why not put your gear on top of the roof rack when you are ready to camp and sleep in the back of the RAV4 instead ? You would need to get a roof carrier like this along with an air mattress. This would be a simpler and cheaper option. Setup would be faster also compared to putting a tent on the roof. Another option is carrying all your gear in a small utility trailer and sleeping in the back of the RAV4.

2800lb Caravan
The V6 with tow package should be able to pull this which has a 3500lbs capacity. Not all US V6 have the tow package because it is an option. All Canadian V6 have the tow package as standard feature. Ensure you install an auxiliary transmission cooler for severe towing and trailer brakes. Note some report gas mileage as low as 10-15 mpg pulling loads near the 3000-3500 lb range. A popup tent trailer that is around 1000-1500 lbs should be better on gas mileage.

LED Lighting
For off road lighting in rural areas you may consider a led bar like this one. I like using H9 Philips Halogen bulbs (65 watts) for fogs which are very bright. The fogs normally uses H11 (55w) bulbs.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Best of luck in your pursuit. My brother uses a car-top tent on his Toyota 4Runner mainly because he tends to camp in Bear country. :)

Me, I'm looking at teardrop campers. Look about. There are some very good units. Not cheap, easy to tow. Good mileage.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I found a RTT for under $400, fits RAV4 if you're interested.
As for me, I sleep inside with rear seat folded down. If I'm with my wife, we use a regular 3person camping tent.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
popup would be best for towing, I tow a 3000lbs travel trailer and it does good, but the fuel economy is horrible (22-23 l/100km) and even with a big atf cooler, I still see very high temps. considering I'm pulling an 7' by 8' wall behind my rav4, it's kind of expected...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts