Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been thrown about several times over the years, but recommendations change. :)

I JUST joined the club and bought a 2009 RAV4 V6 Sport SAP used with 98K miles. New toy to me! I pick it up Saturday. It has Yokohama run-flats, although I don't recall which ones. Standard Sport/SAP rim for 18" tires.

Being September here in Ohio, the plan was to drive this thing throughout the winter, but I have to make some changes before the snow falls. Ideally, I would cut the difference between stock "Sport" and Limited/Base mode. I'd like to get rims for 17" tires and get a solid recommendation on a matching tire that is less noisy, higher sidewalls and lighter overall. If I could find a source, I'd love myself some Toyota wheels from a Limited, but I know that might be unrealistic.

What's the best proven package to get for 17" wheel + tire = heaven? I don't want to completely give up the handling, but I also don't want to feel & hear every bump on a good road!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I bought a set of 17" limited wheels used locally (well drove 300 miles roundtrip to pick them up) for about $300. You can still get these all day long refinished on ebay for about $100 each.

17" Replacement Alloy Wheel Rim for 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Toyota RAV4 | eBay

and put some 225/65/r17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Now that size has been upgraded to a WS80
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2012&autoModel=RAV4 4wd 4cyl&autoModClar=Base

You will have the grippiest winter set up possible.

As for the run flat issue and the lack of spare tire. That is one of the reasons why I did not get a SAP that was avaialbe for a good price used. That said in the last 15 years I have not had a flat or had to use my spare tire on pavement. Only in offroad situations have I had flats. If I was in your case I would not worry about it too much. Get a 12v air compressor, can of fix a flat, and some tire plugs for insurance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good. thank you for the recommendation.

If I was stupid and wanted a more all-year-all-weather tire instead of a good pure snow tire, what's the recommendation there?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
this is what mine looks like on 17's...235/65-17 Hankook Dynapro ATM....tires are amazing all year long...traction is great...on grass with the v6 and traction control turned off i can not spin much at all...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is what mine looks like on 17's...235/65-17 Hankook Dynapro ATM....tires are amazing all year long...traction is great...on grass with the v6 and traction control turned off i can not spin much at all...
What are the tires and wheels there? Are they lighter than the OEM Limiteds?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Firestone's here:

Put new tires on immediately after buying our used vehicle purchase (2008 RAV4 Limited v6), sure does add to the driving pleasure & safety.
- the original summer tires were worn down flush, to the wear bars / so new Firestone Destination Le2 tires installed, in size 225/65R17
The garage dragged their power washer outside for me, so I could hose off and clean up the aluminum rims...of years of grime & brake dust.
- pleased with Firestone brand / price & reviews seem to be good

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What are the tires and wheels there? Are they lighter than the OEM Limiteds?
the wheels are Voxx MG3 i think and the tires are Hankook Dynapro ATM and i dont have the slightest idea how much they weigh since i dont really care....that v6 has no problems moving them...i did drop between 1 and 2 mpg with this setup tho...again i couldn't care less...around town i keep the air pressure about 35 psi for a nice comfortable ride...when i go on trips i air them up to about 40-42 psi for better handling and mileage...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Doesn't the stock Sport SAP run P235/55R18 tires? Wouldn't I want to keep it at 235?
a little wider or a little more narrow will not hurt anything at all...many are running 245/65-17 and 255/55-18 with no issues....cept maybe the spare tire cover not fitting...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, one thing for sure is I want to get some 17" wheels to replace the Sport 18". Not concerned about OEM resale since I bought this car used already.

If anyone wants to trade, let me know. Otherwise I'll find some 17 inchers and store these for now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a set of 17" limited wheels used locally (well drove 300 miles roundtrip to pick them up) for about $300. You can still get these all day long refinished on ebay for about $100 each.
Is there a replacement wheel you can recommend for a 17" tire that'll fit my V6 Sport SAP? I don't know much about wheels, but I imagine something that is lighter and looks fairly close to stock would be good, right? Price is not much of an issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any 5x114.5 bolt pattern with a bore size (center hole) bigger than 60mm in diameter will fit any Rav4.
Thanks....learning this all new for the first time. What about offset? I'd want to maintain closest to stock as possible, except that, of course, I'm moving to 17" wheels instead on my V6 Sport! I just don't want to make any mistakes.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks....learning this all new for the first time. What about offset? I'd want to maintain closest to stock as possible, except that, of course, I'm moving to 17" wheels instead on my V6 Sport! I just don't want to make any mistakes.
Toyota RAV4 2013 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

This is a pretty good site for seeing what was available stock. I think a little less positive offset looks better but most rims you find aftermarket are going to be in the 35-45mm range.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there any changes to brakes or alignment you must do, or just swap the wheels and you're done?

Also, based on these specs I'm having a hard time finding anything compatible.
7" wheel, bolt pattern is 5x114.3mm (5 x 4.5") w/43mm offset.

Does the bolt pattern and wheel width have to be exact?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the stock sport wheel is 7.5 wide with a +45 offset......you can use a 7 inch wheel if you wish and 40 offset is fine...there is no changes to brakes or anything else...if you want factory wheels you can use limited wheels or the aluminum base wheels...you can also use wheels from other toyotas as well (for the most part)....you can use 94 and up mustang wheels.....some jeep wheels....the list is long...you should learn about offset and how it affects the look of wheels on a car.....go to tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com and you can put in your car info and it will show you compatible wheels and then make tire recommendations...i personally do not like rims without a lip on them and i prefer an offset of 35-40 (makes the vehicle look wider and more stable to me)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts