Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all about my options for increased ride height. I want to replace the rear springs with 3rd row springs because they are stiffer. Has anyone tried using the strut/spring assembly from the V6 on the 4 cylinder to have the same effect? Not looking for a crazy lift but I wouldn't mind a stiffer ride and more clearance. I know there are options for aftermarket replacement springs from Northwoods and maybe other companies, but I can literally go down to Canadian Tire and pick these up for no more than oem.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
If you want stiffer springs the 3rd row spring is the way to go. With stiffer springs you also don't get a comfortable ride. My Sport have stiff springs but it is not as stiff as the 3rd row ones. If you don't mind the harsh ride there is a 3/4 inch rise in height and better handling. If you tow the springs reduce sagging at the back end also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want stiffer springs the 3rd row spring is the way to go. With stiffer springs you also don't get a comfortable ride. My Sport have stiff springs but it is not as stiff as the 3rd row ones. If you don't mind the harsh ride there is a 3/4 inch rise in height and better handling. If you tow the springs reduce sagging at the back end also.
That is the idea. I have recently installed a hitch receiver and a cargo carrier basket. I noticed how much the back sagged when I stood on it and I'm only 185 lbs. We load the vehicle up every summer and I don't want to be bottoming out going up to the lake.

Only problem is, I don't want the back to be noticably higher than the front, so the idea was to get the stiffer V6 springs since the strut assembly seems to be the same everywhere I look, just a heavier duty spring. So, same idea, stiffer springs for the extra weight of the V6 = less squat. I think I'm just going to try it out and hope for the best. Anyone know how much heavier the V6 is than the l4?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Airbags. For the V6 Firestone Coil-Rite: 4174 - Rear Kit (Kit Number: W237604174 Replacement Air Spring: 6028)

You know that that 4 cyl car might not rated for that much weight on rear? Look up rear axle limit and tongue weight limit. I think the max weight on the hitch for your model is like 150 lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Airbags. For the V6 Firestone Coil-Rite: 4174 - Rear Kit (Kit Number: W237604174 Replacement Air Spring: 6028)

You know that that 4 cyl car might not rated for that much weight on rear? Look up rear axle limit and tongue weight limit. I think the max weight on the hitch for your model is like 150 lbs.
[/QUOTE
The receiver I have is rated for 525 lbs tongue weight. The payload is a little over 1000 lbs. My model is rated to tow up to about 1500 lbs. Did a quick check and the rear axles for the l4 are the same as the V6 ones. So, that being said, I'm confident nothing will break as long as I don't exceed these limits.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The 4 cyl RAV4 is not rated for that tongue weight... Look at your door sticker. Usually the tongue rating is 10% of max trailer weight, like 150 lbs for you.
But yeah, probably is just the springs and shocks. I don't know for sure what else (crossarms?).

PS: My V6 rear axle is marked on the door pillar with a GAWR of 1145 kg (2535 lbs). That includes everything (car, passengers, luggage, tongue weight).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4 cyl RAV4 is not rated for that tongue weight... Look at your door sticker. Usually the tongue rating is 10% of max trailer weight, like 150 lbs for you.
But yeah, probably is just the springs and shocks. I don't know for sure what else (crossarms?).

PS: My V6 rear axle is marked on the door pillar with a GAWR of 1145 kg (2535 lbs). That includes everything (car, passengers, luggage, tongue weight).
Sticker in door says max occupancy weight is almost 900 lbs. And tongue weight of my curt 13149 receiver is 525 lbs. The 4 cylinder actually has a higher payload capacity than the V6. And the 2 wheel drive ones can hold even more weight. Must be the extra drivetrain weight of the 4x4 and bigger engine making the max load less. I'm not towing anything at the moment, only cargo attachments and bike racks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you put a receiver that has tongue weight of 10,000 lbs, it doesn't make your car stronger.
Your right, and I'm here to discuss front struts and springs, not the max tongue weight of my receiver. As long as it is lower than my max payload, I'm not concerned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts