Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just changed the transmission fluid in my 2010 I4 I believe its a U24 tranny. I got a cheap transmission open top pan so I could measure what I took out. Was exactly 3 quarts.Used WS fluid since this thing only has 80k miles. Fluid wasn't too bad but it was a darker purple and just the 3 quarts lightened it up. Luckily I didn't even have to take off the skid plate there was already a cutout for the oil bolt. Took all of 10 minutes. Already shifts better and doesn't clunk when going from reverse into drive like it was doing before.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What about Honda DW-1 synthetic aft fluid for Rav4?
Just replaced this fluid in wife's CR-V. Went to Napa this morning to get Pennzoil Platinum LV, same what I filled in Rav4 but that guys refuse sell me any fluid for CR-V because they said according to system information only Maxlife comparable to DW-1 and they only have 1 bottle in stock.... No Pennzoil, Castrol or Eneos atf can be used in Honda transmissions (even if backside labels said it can be use)....
I was confused, check MSDS Maxlife, Platinum LV, Eneos, WS and DW-1 - viscosity was 5.9, 5.9, 5.73, 5.45 and Honda's thick 6.8...
I bought DW-1 in Nova Scotia couple years ago for my Civic and local dealer charged me around $18 per bottle. So here in "rich" Alberta where I now, dealers probably charging whole $25. I'm cheap and can't pay more than double for same oil.
I remember read many times on forums what Honda owners really believe in DW-1 because only this fluid, made in Japan by Idemitsu from higher numbers synthetic base can properly maintain (let be honest) weak honda's transmission. And if you fill something else - be ready for transmission die soon. And this fluid not cheap because made in Japan only...
So just in case, I call to Sherwood Honda about DW-1 - $10.40 cad per bottle :oops: about same what Napa ask for Maxlife, Platinum and Eneos. Okay, give me 3.
Label doesn't said where it's made but said packaged in USA.
Can it be fake local made fluid? No idea, but if it really super synthetic Idemitsu for $10 cad per bottle - can be used at Rav's transmission, even with a bit higher viscosity?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Personally I would not get a Honda even for free... I am working on all my cars, some friends too, but I won't touch Honda's. CR-V is an SUV with Civic engine and CVT transmission... what can go wrong?

PS: I don't get the brand loyalty either, I am owning now one of each: Ford, Mercury, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota vehicles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Personally I would not get a Honda even for free...
because you didn't drive it and didn't own it

CR-V is an SUV with Civic engine and CVT transmission... what can go wrong?
That's why I left Rav4 group on Facebook after one guy asked about help for choose between Rav4 or CR-V and his budget maximum 10k. Most (80%) people there start post something about CVT. On vehicle for 10k? Or you can buy last gen CR-V is US for 10k?
And what wrong with CVT? It's probably most efficient way for transfer torque from engine to wheels. Only Nissan and Audi put first generation CVT transmission on their V6 Muranos and 300+hps Audis. No problem with CVT on vehicles with low-power engines. For more powerful engines Honda use 10-speed automatic transmission :cool:

About transmission fluid - no. Idemitsu have different ATF for Toyota/Lexus with viscosity similar to WS - 5.3
Interesting but I watched few videos on youtube and Castrol most popular brand in Japan (engine oil or atf), also have Mobil 1, Motul, Quaker State, Elf. No Eneos, no Idemitsu.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, I also don't like transmissions with more than 6 gears. I drove the new RAV4 with 8 speed... Nope, didn't like it.
Forums are full with people replacing their CVT's. Don't be confused about high end cars with CVT's. Those are build beefier that the ones in a car that has a razor-thin profit margin... like our cute-SUVs. Anyway, if I would have money to but a more expensive car, I would still not get a CVT one.

What can I say, no I didn't own a Honda, but I worked on them enough to hate their cost saving ideas.
As oppsed to let's say... Hyundai and Kia that make "normal" cars. I didn't really work on RAV4, just oil changes and transmission refill, but it looks similar enough with my Mercury Sable on suspension and with Hyundai on the engine.

LE: One example of why I hate Honda. This is the 2002-2006 CR-V/Civic front strut. That is also used as a steering knuckle!!! You are steering with the thin-walled strut!! They can't afford to use a cast steering knuckle like everyone else? That steering system means that every time your wheel goes up/down, the wheel's steering angle also slightly changes. It's as they looked at the cheap McPherson suspension (that already takes liberties with chamber angles) and they said "we can make it even worse!".

I saw those welds snapping (because of rust and vibrations) and those Honda's end up on the side of the road with a wheel pointing sideways. The lucky ones that don't crush.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Didn't have 02-06 Honda but their 07+ Civic and CR-V are bestsellers
Right now driving wife's CR-V, yes, it's more like Civic, lightweight, quick response steering, quick gearbox, VTEC which work same quite and smooth on 5-6k rpm as 2k.
Yes, I used to hate Honda for their saving money, mine is middle EX trim with black doors handle and mirrors, no fog lights, cloths manual seats, manual a/c... But after I get Rav4, finally with body colored doors handles, mirrors and fog lights, I see what Honda have much better sound system with 6 discs, sunroof, heated(!) side mirrors, more easy reading dashboard with more functionality than rav4, much better noise isolation from wheels. And what a joke 1 meter radio antenna on right fender in rav4. It's 2008 year! And engineers and marketers mistake- powerful v6 and corolla-size 50 litres fuel tank? In city don't care, gas station everywhere, but don't really need v6 in city, 4 cylinder engine much smother for heavy traffic. V6 for highway and mountains- yes, but there can be no any gas station for 100+ miles.
Suspension and trims - I saw limited without leather seats, my ex co-worker has base with v6 and leather seats, I saw 4 cyl Sport trims. No any logical here.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Did the transmission filter / strainer come with the o-ring, or does that need to be purchased separately?
Aftermarket transmission filters comes with the o-ring but the ones from the dealer may not. The factory 4 cylinder filter has the strainer (mesh type which cost over $50) that is reusable but he V6 has the paper filter. The ATP brand comes with a washer with their A/T filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed my ATF fluid tonight, just did a drain plug empty. I'm assuming it had the original fluid in it and after 10 years & 280,000+ KM it looked and smelled surprisingly fine..

Towing my new 3,500lb camper tomorrow so thought it might be a good thing to do..

·
Registered
426 Posts
I doubt it was original fluid. It is usually spent by 40-50,000 miles.
I don't see any real benefit to a drain/refill. It is far better to drain, remove pan, change filter, and do a diy flush.

used fluid in a system will cause the new fluid to break down quickly. There are tables showing the relation between percentage of old fluid remaining and life span of new fluid. Even 10% old fluid will drastically reduce the life span of the new fluid.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Changed my ATF fluid tonight, just did a drain plug empty. I'm assuming it had the original fluid in it and after 10 years & 280,000+ KM it looked and smelled surprisingly fine..
I am sure the previous owner did replace the fluid already. In mine, at 70 miles the OE fluid was dark-violet from oxidation. But the 2011 uses lower viscosity WS fluid that is known for that, don't know what fluid you have.

but don't really need v6 in city
Speak for yourself 🤣 I like to fell acceleration pushing me in my seat when leaving the stoplights.

[rant]What I hate the most when I have (at a stoplight) in front of me, a hyper-miler with a 4 cyl/hybrid that, at green light, thinks for a few seconds first (finishes the twitter post?) and then slowly takes off... Very gently, because he thinks it "saves gas" (that didn't matter since carburated cars days, but whatever). By the time he makes it on to the other side of the intersection, the light is yellow and there are 10 cars behind him that didn't make it trough that light and now have to wait. In the end everyone is burning more gas, including him (when is caught behind somebody like him).[/rant]

161 - 171 of 171 Posts