Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Has anyone found this to be the case? The older the vehicle gets, the slower the vehicle gets. Or more specifically the less peppier it gets. The the last three of my parent's cars, which I drove regularly all experienced the same thing. About the 4th or 5th year, the vehicles lacked the pep that they originally had. The first was a Nissan Multi, the second was a Mazda 626 and the third was the Mazda MPV.

The reason I ask these questions, is that I am debating b/t the 4 cyl and the V6. I think the 4 cyl is adequate now, but I am afraid that after 4/5 year, the power or zip in the car will diminish. Also, the engine will have to work harder and therefore make more noise. However, the V6 would be nice, I think it's got way more hp than I actually need. So there is my dilemma.

Your thoughts are appreciated? :shock:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I haven't heard a lot of people mention is the level of technology and sophistication in the V6 engine. There was a post with many reviews here recently, and one of the links was a discussion in some technical journal about Toyotas 3.5L V6. If someone has it handy, please repost. It showcased just how incredible this motor is, and how a variant of it may even find it's way into the new Supra, although with much more HP than the RAV is getting.

If you're concerned about power loss as an engine wears, some of that will depend on how your engine is treated and maintained over the years. But personally, I think this V6 is one hell of a motor that would be difficult to crack.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The G Man said:
That sounds alot like me, the older I get, the slower or the less peppier I gets. :D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....LMAO!!! :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Davey68 said:
One thing I haven't heard a lot of people mention is the level of technology and sophistication in the V6 engine. There was a post with many reviews here recently, and one of the links was a discussion in some technical journal about Toyotas 3.5L V6. If someone has it handy, please repost. It showcased just how incredible this motor is, and how a variant of it may even find it's way into the new Supra, although with much more HP than the RAV is getting.

If you're concerned about power loss as an engine wears, some of that will depend on how your engine is treated and maintained over the years. But personally, I think this V6 is one hell of a motor that would be difficult to crack.
Mainly I am worried about the I4 ending up being not adequate in a few years. Just like the Mazda 626 and the MPV. after a few years they were much less peppier. I also think that my parent's maintained their cars as best they could, but besides regular oil changes and maintenance checks...what else could they have done?

Also, there were about 4/5 drivers of those vehicles, so they had all different sorts of drivers.

Hmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Engines...

Normally engines will perform better after they are broken in, unlike us :lol: :lol:

As the rings get seated and all the "new" tolerances are worn to specs, the engine turns "easier" and should then provide more fuel economy as well as better all around performance.

There does come a time when the tolerances wear past their designed specs and that is when the fuel economy and performance suffers. Piston ring blow-by, wear in the valve train which effects how far and how long the valves stay open, etc all effect performance.

A well maintained engine shouldn't reach this point until it reaches 100k miles or so but there are many variables besides being well maintained. How the vehicle is operated and in what conditions it's operated in contribute to the wear as much as how well it is maintained.

As for which one will maintain it's peppy-ness better is a crap-shoot :lol:

Those that purchased the V6 will say that the V6 will last longer whilst those that purchased the I4 will say that it will. The good thing is that both should last long and retain their original performance.
I'd recommend to test drive each and go with the one that "cranks your engine" :wink: :D
Volfandt

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
This is untrue. You are just getting used to it and it seems slower. If you don't believe me Car and driver does 30k mile tests of a car new and 30k miles down the road and almost all the time 30k miles later they car is faster. The 4 cylinder is a sweet efficient if not quick engine and you will not have an issue in the future

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
vroom2grow said:
Mainly I am worried about the I4 ending up being not adequate in a few years.
When I was making my decision about the next vehicle to buy, I was concerned about this also. Not because I felt that the I4 was inadequate, in fact I was impressed with it on a test drive. What concerned me was that I heard of Honda's plans to redo the CRV this summer with a close to 200HP four, thus making it the hot 4 cyl driveline in the compact SUV segment, especially if it is mated to a 5 speed auto tranny as the CRV already is. So I was torn between buy the RAV 4cyl or wait 'til we see what Honda does with the CRV in a few months.

So I did my research on the Toyo 3.5L V6, and came to the conclusion that it will be state of the art for a few years to come, and finally pulled the trigger and bought one, and am glad I did. But don't let that stop you from considering the I4 RAV, it surprised me how well it carried a vehicle that just experienced the "adolescent growth spurt" recently, and is a nice powerplant none the less. :wink:

OC

·
Registered
150 Posts
There does come a time when the tolerances wear past their designed specs and that is when the fuel economy and performance suffers.
What are the expected mileage tolerances for the 4cyl and 6cyl?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do not get the I4!

You will regret it like I am. Get the 6! There is no contest between these two engines!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say if you can afford it get the 6. There really is no comparison.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get what you want. I have the I4 and don't regret it for one second :D I drove both, liked both, but didn't think the extra horses was worth $2000. Liked the few extra MPG as well you get with the I4 :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It really depends on what kind of driver you are. If you are a conservative driver, then the I4 is all you need. If you like a little horsepower under your hood, then you should buy the V6. Unless, if you are like some of us on this forum, who already have a fun second car to drive, then the I4 is the way to go.
The way I see it is that, all those people who bought the I4 and regret it just plainly did not do their homework from the begining.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're the man!!

purduealum91 said:
You will regret it like I am. Get the 6! There is no contest between these two engines!
.....I like honest (and intelligent) people like you!!

....some people will go to any lengths to distort facts simply to "justify" their purchase, and I cannot stand those "types". These are the "proverbial" Ostriches with their head in the sand :roll: Don't feel bad, as we all have regrets, and the RAV4 (4cyl and V6) is basically a solid, reliable vehicle. You just have to resolve yourself to the fact that the "gas mileage benefit" will be virtually insignificant. On the bright side, you did save a little over 2 grand on the acquisition cost, and on a 5 year loan, with finance charges thrown into the mix, will be closer to over $2,500!!.

I, myself, bought a brand new 2003 Acura MDX in Dec of '02, and the vehicle ended up with tons of "unresovable" problems (leaky sunroof, power steering problems etc.) . I liked the vehicle very much, but the quality issues were just overwhelming. Eventually the company ended up "settling".......However during all the issues (and 19 months of ownership) it did not keep me from posting the problems, and my regret and dissappointment of the vehicle, and what I considered a "big mistake", so that others can get a better idea and avoid the pitfalls I went through!!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will second those posts above....

vroom2grow said:
Hello Folks,
Has anyone found this to be the case? The older the vehicle gets, the slower the vehicle gets. Or more specifically the less peppier it gets. The the last three of my parent's cars, which I drove regularly all experienced the same thing. About the 4th or 5th year, the vehicles lacked the pep that they originally had. The first was a Nissan Multi, the second was a Mazda 626 and the third was the Mazda MPV.

The reason I ask these questions, is that I am debating b/t the 4 cyl and the V6. I think the 4 cyl is adequate now, but I am afraid that after 4/5 year, the power or zip in the car will diminish. Also, the engine will have to work harder and therefore make more noise. However, the V6 would be nice, I think it's got way more hp than I actually need. So there is my dilemma.

Your thoughts are appreciated?
......that say go for the V6!! Toyota has done an amazing job with this powerplant. I fully expected them to throw in an underpowered, whimpy 6 cylinder engine in here, but they went the full 9 yards and totally surprised us with this beast......but the real beauty of this whole thing is the AMAZING gas mileage that this 270-horse 3.5 liter V6 gets!! 21 city and 28 highway for a 3700lb 4-WHEEL-DRIVE SUV is simply outstanding by any measure, and not something to take lightly!!

....and you're right cars generally do get a bit slower as they age!!...but when you have a ton of excessive power (and I mean A TON), as in the V6 RAV, you will barely notice it. On the other hand, the 4 banger which is barely "just adequate" at this point will start showing it's lack of oomph at a later time. However, more importantly, even when it's new, you will notice the lack of power when hitting long grades on freeway ("the grapevine" on the 5 freeway here in Southern CA is a prime example) and when carrying a full load of passengers. Most people don't realize that this shortcoming may not be readily apparent in a brief test drive around the block. Besides this, the V6 will have a SIGNIFICANT NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) advantage over the 4 banger, from the get go. For someone like me, who absolutely treasures "quietness" and "smoothness" in a vehicle, this could be a potential deal killer!!

Personally, I would strongly recommend you get the V6, and only go for the 4 banger if you're so financially strapped, and purchase price is the most important consideration. THAT is the only, and I repeat, the only benefit of the 4 cylinder.....Don't be mislead into believing that you will have huge gas mileage benefits by getting the 4-banger!!! IT"S A BIG MYTH AND SIMPLY NOT TRUE!!

BTW, even if you were to use the EPA as a yardstick, the figures are virtually the same.

V6 4WD is 21 city and 28 hwy
4-banger 4WD is 23 city and 28 hwy

check out the figures below:

www.fueleconomy.gov

a WHOPPING 2 mpg more in the city, YIPPEEE :roll: , and the same frigging mileage on the highway :roll:

I will bet anyone ANYTHING, that there is no significant gas mileage difference between the two IN THE REAL WORLD under most driving conditions!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: I will second those posts above....

victor555 said:
V6 4WD is 21 city and 28 hwy
4-banger 4WD is 23 city and 28 hwy
Interesting. The sticker from my 4cyl indicated 24 city and 30 hwy, not 23 and 28 as quoted.

Regardless, as to the point about a car losing power over years of ownership, it seems to me that this would be almost impossible to detect if the power loss were gradual, unless measured by dyno. I would not expect to be able to feel a loss of a few hp (via the butt dyno) over the course of a few years with a daily driven vehicle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Design specs.....

What are the expected mileage tolerances for the 4cyl and 6cyl?
Well I'm not privy to the exact specs but most piston rings are considered out of spec when the end gap exceeds ,010 over new spec. Valves will start to clatter when the tappet clearance exceeds .005 over. Same for rod and crankcase bearings.

Keeping an engine from overheating, changeing the oil regularly with the proper viscosity and operating it correctly i.e. don't run it hard until it's warmed up and not exceed the redline etc, the metal used in these engines won't wear past their designed specs for a very long time. 100K used to be the benchmark for most automotive engines but 200K has just about become the new standard.

As for the I4 vs the V6 debate, well, you'd thnk all the previous RAV4 models were dogs if one were to believe that a RAV4 isn't a very good well performing SUV if it doesn't have a V6 :wink: :D

Toyota hit a home run w/it's V6 but that doesn't make the tried & true I4 any less of a very good power plant. I4's have BEEN the benchmark for fuel economy, reliability and performance in the small auto market for quite a few years, more so than many owners on this very board have been breathing...... :wink: :D

Volfandt

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just thought I would chime in and say that I am absolutely happy with my I4 RAV. My other vehicle is a Highlander V6. I do notice the V6 is a little quieter and smoother. But I am in no way unhappy with the 4 cyl RAV. The plain fact is that Toyotas last a long long long time. So, like many of my fellow RAV owners (V6 and I4), I am looking forward to enjoying this SUV for the long term.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts