Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 1999 Camry V6, it is the best car I ever owned, the only problem it ever had was the clock display went dark.

That V6 with 175,000 miles on it runs as smooth powerfull and quiet as it ever has, and does not use a single drop of oil, in fact I never have to check my oil, I just change it and the filter religiously.

And when my RAV4 V6 comes in it will have more power then my Camry did.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Having purchased a 4-banger limited, I really have no regrets about not getting the 6. I think it really depends on the function of the vehicle - my intent was for normal commuting, in which the 4 cylinder has plenty of power (and uses it quite well). If I wanted to tow something or take it offroad and do truck-y things, yeah the 6 is a good idea. However if the thinking is about how fast and powerful the 6 cylinder is, keep in mind this IS an SUV and driving it like a sports car is not a real good idea.

Seriously though, I was incredibly impressed with the power available in the I4. Granted it won't blow anyone's doors off or do 100 mph (well, maybe it will I don't know) but it has adequate power to handle the passing lane at 70 mph. And at 166 HP, it's got more total punch than either of my other car's small 6's. (96 Probe and 88 Olds)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh really Frank. Do tell. Over 100 on the Atlantic City Expressway?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
lol how did you know???? !!
had it up to 100 and still had plenty left. According to the Toyota info I believe that the top speed of the 4 is 112-115 or so

purduealum91 said:
Oh really Frank. Do tell. Over 100 on the Atlantic City Expressway?

·
Registered
257 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
vroom2grow said:
Mainly I am worried about the I4 ending up being not adequate in a few years.
When I was making my decision about the next vehicle to buy, I was concerned about this also. Not because I felt that the I4 was inadequate, in fact I was impressed with it on a test drive. What concerned me was that I heard of Honda's plans to redo the CRV this summer with a close to 200HP four, thus making it the hot 4 cyl driveline in the compact SUV segment, especially if it is mated to a 5 speed auto tranny as the CRV already is. So I was torn between buy the RAV 4cyl or wait 'til we see what Honda does with the CRV in a few months.

So I did my research on the Toyo 3.5L V6, and came to the conclusion that it will be state of the art for a few years to come, and finally pulled the trigger and bought one, and am glad I did. But don't let that stop you from considering the I4 RAV, it surprised me how well it carried a vehicle that just experienced the "adolescent growth spurt" recently, and is a nice powerplant none the less. :wink:

OC
I wouldnt buy the CRV if it had a free upgraded 300 hp twin turbo in it because I cant stand stand how UGLY they are from the side. It resembles the ARCH in St. louis, MO. I have nothing against the st. louis ARCH, it just doesnt belong on the side of a car/suv. Besides, many claim it creates a blindspot. My 2cents .IMO
Manufactures do not realize that people dont buy just because of things like a rear side window.What is the REAL WORLD 2WD 4cyl vs. 4WD 6cyl. in CITY ONLY driving. I will bet there is a significant gas meleage difference between the two.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: I will second those posts above....

What is the REAL WORLD 2WD 4cyl vs. 4WD 6cyl. in CITY ONLY driving. I will bet there is a significant gas meleage difference between the two.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
the I4 and V6 engines for the RAV4 both have patent pending ability to cruise above or at the speed limit which is a futuristic mind blowing feature. Unlike other vehicles with I4 engines, the RAV4 does not in fact lose velocity traveling up a hill and start to roll backwards. The V6 has the ability to tow over 9000 pounds (on the moon) and once I was able to go 88mph in my I4 RAV but quickly slowed down due to all the lightning bolts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
SilveRAV4 said:
the I4 and V6 engines for the RAV4 both have patent pending ability to cruise above or at the speed limit which is a futuristic mind blowing feature. Unlike other vehicles with I4 engines, the RAV4 does not in fact lose velocity traveling up a hill and start to roll backwards. The V6 has the ability to tow over 9000 pounds (on the moon) and once I was able to go 88mph in my I4 RAV but quickly slowed down due to all the lightning bolts.
+1 sdk 089234 uZ;=-wf ae]0-f k[x89-c ♦ sdlkvz l; v c'dfmbkfjbGnnfn sdfib droibsiodj opdQPVJKVND NXCV DKFVA DVOPD DRIOWJKLOL I♦ M,DFFKl;ck jklfjkfj szjkf cv d klc f k j k;k j dkj dfkjdk;jb JUst my opinion. :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: I will second those posts above....

e90 said:
What is the REAL WORLD 2WD 4cyl vs. 4WD 6cyl. in CITY ONLY driving. I will bet there is a significant gas meleage difference between the two.
We do 90% city driving and we have owned a 06 I4 and a 08 V6. I would say the I4 gets about 1 MPG better in the city than the V6. We dont really push either car very hard.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts