Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting the 4cyl but I'm wondering if I'll kick myself later for not waiting and looking at the 6cyl. Reasons for getting a 4cyl: cheaper (by about $2K - $3K from what I've been told), better gas mileage, available now. Reasons for getting the V6: hwy mileage almost the same plus I'd periodically be pulling a boat. Now the boat isn't very big - just a 16ft aluminum fishing boat, but I don't know how much the whole rig weighs with trailer and I know the 4cyl will only pull 1500lbs. Ah, decisions decisions... Anybody else here on the fence like I am?

J

·
0 Posts
Personally, Im ONLY considering the 6. I could see myself impuslively getting the 4 because I didnt want to wait any longer, and really regretting it later.

The mpg is basically identical on the 6 compared to the 4... and for only about 2k more, you are getting almost 100extra hp! Plus, I believe the Sport and Limited have the Tow Prep package installed on every package. Thats 3500 vs 1500 (all depends on your needs etc).

In the end, it just comes down to your tastes. If you "think" you might be kicking yourself, then definitely at least WAIT to test drive the 6 before making a decision. I dont know your current situation, but I can imagine that you can wait a few weeks before making a purchase. (Plus, once the 6 do arrive, my guess is that the 4 might be a bit more easier to neg a lower price on - if you do decide to go for the 4)

M

·
0 Posts
if the v6 is not that much difference in gas mileage what about some of those additives for mileage?

C

·
0 Posts
jkat said:
Personally, Im ONLY considering the 6. I could see myself impuslively getting the 4 because I didnt want to wait any longer, and really regretting it later.
that's us... i really want to run out and get one NOW! but i know the first time we went shopping or for a bike ride "down the hill" and didn't have the oomph to buzz back up the hill on the way home.. we'd be sorry we didn't wait for the V6!

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you really are on the fence between the two, you may as well wait until the V6 is actually available.

Once it is, we'll have real-world mileage to compare it to the 4 cylinder.

I'm waiting. If the V6 is as far off the 4 cyl as flyingn thinks it is, then I probably won't even bother buying a Rav at all. But if it's as close as the ratings from Toyota say it is, then I'll seriously be considering the V6.

At least if you wait, you'll be able to try them both and make an educated decision. But if you really don't want or need the extra power, then buy the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think you should wait if you're asking the question. I was going to wait for the V6 but for all practical purposes, I decided to get the 4-cyl now knowing that I won't regret not waiting.

Besides, I can always trade up in a couple of years if I really wanted to. By that time, maybe I can get all the options in the Limited in the Sport model! :D

As far as gas mileage, I'm not completely convinced that there's only 2 mi difference between the 4 and the 6 but you never know. Right now, I'm getting 22.5 mpg with the 4WD Sport (50/50 city/hi). That's right at what Toyota est. for city. Maybe the V6 ver. will get 21 to start, which will be pretty good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
jkat said:

The mpg is basically identical on the 6 compared to the 4... and for only about 2k more, you are getting almost 100extra hp! Plus, I believe the Sport and Limited have the Tow Prep package installed on every package. Thats 3500 vs 1500 (all depends on your needs etc).

In the end, it just comes down to your tastes. If you "think" you might be kicking yourself, then definitely at least WAIT to test drive the 6 before making a decision. I dont know your current situation, but I can imagine that you can wait a few weeks before making a purchase. (Plus, once the 6 do arrive, my guess is that the 4 might be a bit more easier to neg a lower price on - if you do decide to go for the 4)
You and I are on the same page...I am only considering the V6. I could justify it by saying that I need the 6 to tow, which is true, but the real reason is I like the combination of 269 HP and AWD. The thing should be a rocketship and I don't care if it cost me a few hundred extra a year to feed it (I put a pencil to it).

That's exactly why they make different configurations; to appeal to different taste.

To each his own.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Isn't the V6 the same engine as the Avalon? On Toyota's site, it shows 22/31 for the Avalon with a curb weight of 3600 lbs. The RAV4 V6 Limited shows 22/29 with a curb weight 3547 lbs. Maybe someone with a V6 Avalon can post their mpgs to get an idea of what the V6 RAV4 will get. *shrug*

N

·
0 Posts
I4 in San Francisco...no regrets

First post here. We bought a Sport 4cyl. ,Charcoal color, end of December(anything other than a Limited was hard to find in the Bay Area). Lovin it! It's San Francisco, and we live up near the Sutro tower (topmost area of SF). The 4 cylinder has plenty of power....but I aint hauling anything, and don't plan to.

Going to the snow (Lake Tahoe in Feb....will be interesting....)

Norbert

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
different wind resistance, different gear ratios, 4wd vs fwd.. there are many differences in the rav and an avalon. The rav will NOT EVER get equal gas mileage as the avalon. It betting 20 in the city maybe 19 TOPS...

kuj said:
Isn't the V6 the same engine as the Avalon? On Toyota's site, it shows 22/31 for the Avalon with a curb weight of 3600 lbs. The RAV4 V6 Limited shows 22/29 with a curb weight 3547 lbs. Maybe someone with a V6 Avalon can post their mpgs to get an idea of what the V6 RAV4 will get. *shrug*

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the 4cyl. I called a few boat shops and it sounded like my boat/trailer combo was well under 1000lbs and I felt that the 4cyl was reasonably peppy for general every day driving. Got a black AWD limited/leather/sunroof/mudflaps for $25,600...I'm hoping that was a good price. They gave me $25K for my '04 4Runner (Kelly BB "excellent" value), so I'm moving over for not too much extra $$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts