Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Sound like you made it happen! Another possibility I used a few times is pressing out the bad bearing, buying a new one from a bearing supplier and pressing it back in.

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for this info. I'll be doing this prob when the car hits 80K-100K or so. Along with spark plugs. It's at around 70K now. Is there a normal interval on these cars for the water pump? Some people will go 180K before changing, some 80-100K, so seems to be all over the place. I would prefer to change it before it leaks/makes noise why I was thinking more towards 80k-100K?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thank you for this info. I'll be doing this prob when the car hits 80K-100K or so. Along with spark plugs. It's at around 70K now. Is there a normal interval on these cars for the water pump? Some people will go 180K before changing, some 80-100K, so seems to be all over the place. I would prefer to change it before it leaks/makes noise why I was thinking more towards 80k-100K?
Mine failed at ~200K miles, so I can suggest that you just check it for leaks and bearing wobble rather than straight up replacing it. It is an expensive "preventative" replacement IMO. My moto is if it ain't broke don't replace :nerd

·
Registered
122 Posts
I generally follow the same motto as Igzy...for most stuff. But my pump started making a "growling" noise at low rpm's. The sound was unmistakable to my experienced ear. So decided to switch it out before getting stranded on my annual summer trip to the mountains.
My Rav V6 now sounds like new! So much quieter! YRMV

·
Registered
428 Posts
I generally follow the same motto as Igzy...for most stuff. But my pump started making a "growling" noise at low rpm's. The sound was unmistakable to my experienced ear. So decided to switch it out before getting stranded on my annual summer trip to the mountains.
My Rav V6 now sounds like new! So much quieter! YRMV
Yes, mine too got the growling water pump sound at idle - unmistakable when heard, and within a week of it getting louder it started leaking, and when I removed the v-belt there was a significant wobble to the WP pulley...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
16 Participants
igzy
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing