Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really anything to do with Rav4,s but I feel I must do a Post on possibly the BEST saloon car racing in the World. No I know I,m not from OZ but I have followed this series for the last 3 years on Motors TV in the UK.
I have just watched the Bathurst 1000 KMS and what a superb race it was. Well done my favourite Mark Scaithe. It is just a step higher than DTM which is also good. It makes our BTCC saloon car series look amateur.
I would love to hear what comments our Aussie Rav4 Friends have to say
Clare

T

·
0 Posts
Yeah love the Bathurst V8 Super Cars! Im more a Ford supporter than Holden...even though Holdens seem to win all the damn time! lol :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm a huge fan of V8 Supercars...been following it since i was a kid. Over the years i've had the chance to meet some of the drivers in person (Mark Skaife, Todd Kelly, Paul Morris, Cameron McConville, etc). The company i work for (Dodo Internet) sponsors the Dodo Racing Team. They came second at Bathurst after the Holden Racing Team which placed first.

A week after Bathurst the Dodo Racing Team came to our work with one of the drivers (Jason Richards) and the Dodo Racing Girls for a BBQ but i wasn't working that day :(

I didn't know they showed V8 Supercars in the UK. I know it's shown heaps in NZ and China.

M

·
0 Posts
I love the V8's there awsome to watch. It was a great race and my fab drive and team won YAY Skaife.

I went to the Indy 300 here on the Gold Coast last weekend just to see the V8's and to go through pit lane

:D :D 8)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to see some interest in V8,s .
Mohit, DODO racing is that the same team that raced last year as k mart Holden racing.
If you ever get chance to watch DTM racing ( German Touring Cars ) that is nearly as good as V8 Supercars and believe it or not a Brit won the series ( Gary Paffet ) watch out for him in Formula One
Clare

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to see Holden,s back in command at the Clipsal500. Well ,start of another season in V8 Supercars and last years Champion off to a winning start. Kelly brothers rule!!!!!
To all you Aussie Ravers on R4W tell me who do you think will win it this season? My fav driver is Mark Scaife but I think he could be getting a bit long in the tooth these days.
Can anybody tell me if ever Marcus Ambrose is going to return to V8,s? Big mistake going to NASCAR, has he ever done anything?
Clare :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've watched a V8 Supercar race on TV before, While I enjoy it better than NASCAR (Watching cars going round, round & around an oval track can get very boring.), I just wished that they allowed more car manufacturers (WTCC) like Lexus, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Chrysler or any other brands with a factory RWD car to race.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Rick Kelly is a CHEAT... he should never have won the championship last year... And I am a HOLDEN supporter.. BUT Craig Lowdnes is my fav driver.. He is just such a nice, down to earth bloke...

DTM is good, but we dont see too much of it here in OZ...

As for other manufacturers... The rules were originally designed to stop imports from dominating the ATCC (Australian Touring Car Championship) as in the late 80's and very early 90's, the local boys couldnt get anywhere near the Ford Sierra's or the Nissan "Godzilla" skylines.... so the formula was set - to enter, you had to have a 5lt RWD car in your LOCALLY MADE vehicle lineup - Holden COMMODORE or Ford FALCON were the only 2 eligible... the rest is history.... (BTW, yes they are still using the 5lt motors even though you can no longer buy one of these of the showroom floor!)

Ambrose... Came from nowhere a few years ago, had a decent rookie year, then 2 years running won the championship... Give the bloke some time, he will do well... just wait for the road circuits....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for comments Aussieraver,I was hoping you would reply. I,ve read thru the Aussie press that Ford are really cutting their budget in V8,s cause as you say Falcon,s don,t sell anymore in your neck of the woods.
Interesting to note we get the Holden Minaro badged as a Vauxhall VXR it sells about £35000 and the guys on Top Gear ( BBC motoring programme) think it is the bee,s knees.
Forgive me if I,m wrong but I didn,t think Rick Kelly had cheated, possibly a little bit in final round last series. ( No more than Schuy used to do in F1)
Clare

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
clare said:
Thanks for comments Aussieraver,I was hoping you would reply. I,ve read thru the Aussie press that Ford are really cutting their budget in V8,s cause as you say Falcon,s don,t sell anymore in your neck of the woods.
Its not that they aren't selling... just they dont sell as well as the Holden equivalent.. (Commodore)

Interesting to note we get the Holden Monaro badged as a Vauxhall VXR it sells about £35000 and the guys on Top Gear ( BBC motoring programme) think it is the bee,s knees.
They are... and not just the Monaro... The Holden Commodore comes in many forms.. Monaro Coupe (no longer available), Sedan (SS is the quickest of the bunch), Wagon, Ute, and other cross over vehicles....

Forgive me if I,m wrong but I didn,t think Rick Kelly had cheated, possibly a little bit in final round last series. ( No more than Schuy used to do in F1)
Clare
OK, technically he didnt "cheat" but he got a drive through penalty in the final race for basically "punting" Craig Lowdnes off.... rick only then had to finish the race to win the championship (Of which he dis NOT win any round...(V8 supercars have up to 3 races per round)) whilst Lowdnes limped around the track for a few laps and then had to retire from the race due to the damage that was caused by the earlier incident...

Schumacher is just as much a cheat (Although he does get paid VERY well to do it..) Im a FERRARI fan, NOT a Schumacher fan...

·
Registered
685 Posts
We get the V8 Supercar series in Canada as well......Great racing!!! 8) .....and I too prefer the circuit courses to the roundie-round........

I've always felt Schumie got way too much credit........any driver could have done as well in the Ferrari at that time.......he just "hit" the team at the right stage of development.... :roll:
......then again.....he would "hit" anyone rather than loose!!!!....and got away with it :?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Bluenoser said:
We get the V8 Supercar series in Canada as well......Great racing!!! 8) .....and I too prefer the circuit courses to the roundie-round........

I've always felt Schumie got way too much credit........any driver could have done as well in the Ferrari at that time.......he just "hit" the team at the right stage of development.... :roll:
......then again.....he would "hit" anyone rather than loose!!!!....and got away with it :?
I dont think so... Schumacher managed to get the right people around HIM... most F1 teams have a #1 & #2 driver, Ferrari really only had a #1 with a couple of test drivers (Not to take away from Rubens or Edie Irvine or Massa...) but that was / is the way that team is run... I'm guessing it will be the same again this year with Kimi being #1 and Massa as a tester...

Schumacher ALWAYS got the better cars & data.... there was no sharing of setup info BACK the other way...

Regardless of the circumstances, we have seen the BEST EVER driver in F1.... I'm glad I got to see it.... I doubt that any of these records will be bettered for quite a while....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good comments Aussieraver, it will be interesting this season cause Ferrari not only lost Schu but also Ross Brawn who was the technical genius behind them as well.
To go to another topic DTM is also a 2 manufacturer series. Audi and Mercedes are the only cars that race in this series. GM( Opel) pulled the plug 12 months ago. Mind you they did have one of the BEST ever drivers in the series( Champion 12 months ago) Gary Paffet, unfortunatley he is laguishing now as a test driver for F1 Maclaren.
Dream Race- V8 Supercars in a shootout with DTM now that would be worth watching!!!!!!
Clare :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The V8 supercars vs DTM would be a good spectacle... I have a feeling the DTM machines would win though.. they are lighter by 300kg but also less powerful... they would be quicker in the corners and about even in the straights...

It would be good if it was a two race competition... Bathurst and OLD Nürburgring.... now that would be good....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts