Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 09 Rav4 V6 and it's not until I drove it recently that I noticed a vacuum/squeel noise that comes on when shutting the engine off. It only happens when shutting off the engine and would last a second or two. The noise doesnt happen any other time. Local Toyota dealer thinks it might be the pulleys. If that were the case wouldn't the noise be a little more persistent especially when the engine is actually running? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
My wife has an 09 Rav4 V6 and it's not until I drove it recently that I noticed a vacuum/squeel noise that comes on when shutting the engine off. It only happens when shutting off the engine and would last a second or two. The noise doesnt happen any other time. Local Toyota dealer thinks it might be the pulleys. If that were the case wouldn't the noise be a little more persistent especially when the engine is actually running? Thoughts?
Does the noise continue for a second or two after the engine is actually off? If so, probably not a pulley but possibly a vacuum leak? If it stops abruptly with the engine, could be a pulley. Ever change the belts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the noise happens a second or two after the engine is shut off. Only changes made within the last 2years is the water pump at 65k so no for belts. If it were a belt issue wouldn't the noise happen with the engine running? But even then would the noise sound like a decreasing vacuum pressure?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If the sound you hear is in fact a vacuum leak, the most likely cause would be the power brake booster.

Normally when the engine is not running, you can press the brake pedal several times and it will gradually get harder/firmer as the vacuum is depleted. If you have a vacuum leak you might find the pedal feels firm on the very first push of the pedal.

You may also want to listen under the hood while someone else turns off the ignition to see if you can better determine the source of the noise.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same noise and have tried unsuccessfully to figure it out for years. I don think it is the brake booster sounds to be coming from behind the dash...........Sounds like it is coming from the climate control system to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts