Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed a starter/alarm in my car and I had to use my valet key. So, I will need a new valet key. I called up the car dealer and they said they go for $120 for a freaking key. Is there any other way of getting it cheaper? Like, cut and program it myself? I got the compustar T11 and that thing is not cheap. Looking to save some dough!

Edit: Since they used my valet key. Does that mean I no longer need a key with a transponder to work since it's already part of my remote starter?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
I recently installed a starter/alarm in my car and I had to use my valet key. So, I will need a new valet key. I called up the car dealer and they said they go for $120 for a freaking key. Is there any other way of getting it cheaper? Like, cut and program it myself? I got the compustar T11 and that thing is not cheap. Looking to save some dough!

Edit: Since they used my valet key. Does that mean I no longer need a key with a transponder to work since it's already part of my remote starter?
I'm pretty sure since they cannibalized your valet key for the immobilizer chip, then a standard metal key should work. Have one cut at your local store for a couple of bucks and see if it works.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it was a quality shop that did the remote starter install and they used your valet key, I would hope that they setup a transponder bypass that only functions during a remote start and is not a permanent ignition immobilizer system bypass.

Taking the H chip out of the valet key and gluing it to the cars transponder ring antenna basically removes that vehicle ant-theft security system. Insurance companies don't like that at all. All quality install shops know this.

The fact that your RAV4 will start with either of the original, unmodified, remote keys suggests that they did the remote start install correctly. The RAV wouldn't start if it "saw" two programmed H chips at the same time.

As Junebug mentioned, if it isn't too expensive and the plain metal key is available, try that test. The engine shouldn't start and the new plain key can be placed in a "hide-a-key" magnetic box and used as an emergency way to open a door in case of a lock-out without worry about a drive-off theft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts