Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the V6 is cold, I get a fair amount of valve clacking. Goes away after if warms up in about 5 minutes. Oil level is fine. Got about 3500 miles on it right now. If I didn't know better, I've had thought it needs a valve adjustment. Don't these have hydralic lifters?
Anyone else see this issue?

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
I do not have the v6, but on my old jeep liberty it was there and drove me crazy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear, changed the oil this weekend fo rthe first time.

Was hoping it would go aware with break-in, but welcome to the design by the sound of it!

good luck guys, still loving it!

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
My 03 corolla was very noisy before 5000 miles rolled on odo. Now it's \"only\" noisy. It may take some time for RAV4 to fully break-in. People are used to timing belts but now we have timing chains, more noise.

S

·
0 Posts
could be the system adjusting the valve timing. After all it is a VVTI engine.

Try 89 gas.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
it adjusts valve TIMING which has nothing to do with lash adjustment.. Gas octane also has nothing to do with valve clatter upon startup either..

SUVbuff73 said:
could be the system adjusting the valve timing. After all it is a VVTI engine.

Try 89 gas.

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah but do not forget the engine"knocking" could be mistaken for valve chatter. You need good ears to make out the difference.

It doesn't matter if it is hydraulic ( lifters) you still could get some chatter if the system is cold.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
engine 'knock' (preignition) can not happen on cold start up and idle.

Its pretty rare for the lifters to bleed down and to get valve noise on cold start on a new engine.. All Im saying is that its not normal and keep an eye on it..

S

·
0 Posts
sure it can happen. on these cars everything is governed by a computer. If it was an ordinary engine....good simple one.
I could show you how an engine can knock even at idle..where is my timing gun?!

one thing I have learned early on in life, never say "never". If it could happen, it will happen.

so what is your explanation then?

S

·
0 Posts
"flyingn" I am just messing with you. I grew up on a farm and I'd be covered in oil by the end of the day after rebuilding and repairing some equippement with my dad almost every day. lol.

could be a few things causing the clatter. But I would not worry too much if it goes away after the engine warmed up.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Theres been complains on the 4runner V6 borad that the V6 engine has a slight ping when warming up. It is not the same engine as the RAV4, but they are both aluminum engines.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know it is an all aluminum engine. My old '85 Toyota pickup had the 22R in it and I think it had a cast iron block and an aluminum head, or so I was told. I was also warned that the 22R was prone to blowing head gaskets due to the two different metals heating and cooling at different speeds and temps. Sure enough the head gasket blew and it cost $1000 to fix. Despite that I still loved that truck and it is still running. So, a little valve chatter from an aluminum block while warming up is okay with me as long as I am not blowing head gaskets. I doubt a blown head gasket will only cost $1000 on the RAV.

J

·
0 Posts
I actually think my noise is in the bottom end when it's cold. It's just fine when it warms up.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wow:
Bottom end or valve noise
Easy windshield cracks
paint chips
steering "knocks"
does not always shift the same
creaks

Are we sure this is a real Toyota? Should I still buy one?...hummmmmmmmmmmmm

269 HP....yes... :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm at 3600 miles, and also have the slight clatter when the engine is cold. When I changed over to Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic at 3,000 miles, it got noticeably quieter...

DJ

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
I suspect a lot of the start up noise is the pistons, it's common in some modern engine designs if Hypereutic pistons are used, the noise goes away after a short warm up period, it's often called piston slap, particularly when referring to late model GM engines. I couldn't find the term Hypereutic used in reference to the 2GR-FE engine, the FSM just refers to them as aluminum alloy which hypereutic pistons are made of.

Tim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts