Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running Valvoline Maxlife ATF noticed any problem in the long run?

I've been reading around and Maxlife seems to survive better overheating? (higher viscosity and flashpoint) Since I tow a lot, and even with the oil cooler, the temps do get over 230F, I'm wondering how well the WS can handle that abuse.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Personally, I would not do it.
Warranty issues aside, I simply don't trust any ATF that claims to be cross-compatible with fluids that are incompatible.
If you have concerns over durability when towing, I would just shorten the maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Anybody running Valvoline Maxlife ATF noticed any problem in the long run?

I've been reading around and Maxlife seems to survive better overheating? (higher viscosity and flashpoint) Since I tow a lot, and even with the oil cooler, the temps do get over 230F, I'm wondering how well the WS can handle that abuse.
I'd stick with WS. As CB says, just change it a bit sooner if you're worried.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How about Amsoil's SS auto trans fluid? says to be compatible with Toyota WS

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about Amsoil's SS auto trans fluid? says to be compatible with Toyota WS
well my goal is to change it more often, with all the towing I do, and the Amsoil is more expensive than the Toyota OEM stuff.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I used Valvoline during one of my drain/refills because I somehow wasted all the 5 quarts of WS (long story).
Within a few months, my tranny started making a whining noise at 40 km/h.

I still don't blame the Valvoline fluid as it happened too fast and there was still 50% Toyota WS in the system. But the thought always lingers at the back of my mind...

·
Registered
263 Posts
doubt it's cuz of the trans fluid, if it's listed as a compatible one

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking of putting max life for the 2 months of summer that I pull the travel trailer (since it resists heat breakdown better from what I'm reading). Then at the end of camping season, I ll put ws back in for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When it's listed as compatible by Toyota, I'd consider using it. Otherwise, I'd stick with Toyota WS. Transmissions ain't cheap!
Toyota will not certify any liquids other than their own brand..
I'm sure it has to do more with the profit Toyota makes on WS, and the environment taxes Toyota saves by having their cars run a "lifetime fluid"...

if you go on Bob is the oil guy forums, they discuss a lot of things about WS, and how a lot of guys with FJ cruisers seem to have oil related transmission problems with the WS overheating and breaking down. I'm sure Valvoline would not says it's a suitable replacement when it's not, unless they wanted to get sued...

·
Registered
263 Posts
good point - amsoil sso also lists itself as ws compatible

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Toyota will not certify any liquids other than their own brand..
I'm sure it has to do more with the profit Toyota makes on WS, and the environment taxes Toyota saves by having their cars run a "lifetime fluid"...

if you go on Bob is the oil guy forums, they discuss a lot of things about WS, and how a lot of guys with FJ cruisers seem to have oil related transmission problems with the WS overheating and breaking down. I'm sure Valvoline would not says it's a suitable replacement when it's not, unless they wanted to get sued...
I would imagine the FJ guys could easily run into the "extreme usage" area, but for normal street usage, I think WS would be fine for most vehicles.
I'm aware of a few people who have run into trouble using fluids claimed to be "compatible" with OEM. However the claim is being made by the competing manufacturer, so I guess you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used Valvoline during one of my drain/refills because I somehow wasted all the 5 quarts of WS (long story).
Within a few months, my tranny started making a whining noise at 40 km/h.

I still don't blame the Valvoline fluid as it happened too fast and there was still 50% Toyota WS in the system. But the thought always lingers at the back of my mind...
Nulon Australia ATF WS,
Full Synthetic Multi Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid - Nulon Products Australia says it's NOT a good idea to mix their oil with any other transmission oil.

·
Registered
263 Posts
unless you guys are draining 100% of the trans fluid, including dumping the pan and filter, and draining from the return line after, you will be mixing fluids..

have yet to see anything on anyone draining from the return line after flushing though

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep, that's exactly what I did about a year ago.

Transmission service 2011 Toyota RAV4 RAV 4 Install Remove Replace How to change - YouTube

Follow this video. but DO NOT start the engine and run through the gears! All you're doing is mixing the new oil with the old oil, pretty dumb if you ask me. Follow my advice below.

My 2007 Rav4 2.4L automatic had 184,500 kms, and I suspect the ATF WS trans fluid has never been changed or replaced.
We drained the fluid first, removed the trans sump pan & filter. Cleaned everything (+ the 3 magnets), fitted a new filter and gasket, and torqued the filter & pan bolts up (filter 84 in-lbs, pan 67 in-lbs). (Trans drain plug to 35 ft-lbs)
Because we removed 4.5 litres of trans fluid, we put 4.5 litres back. (BTW, this is really a two man job). We then disconnected the LOWER hose return line connected to the trans spigot (see pic), joined it to a piece of clear 10mm hose (about 1 m long), with a short piece of 3/8" copper tubing. A 9 litre bucket was placed under the clear hose.
We started the engine in N, and took out 3 litres. It was very dark. Turned off the motor, and replaced another 3 litres. I think we did this 4 times, and the new Toyota ATF WS oil in the trans is now clean bright red! :)
All up, it cost about $AU270, it made a big difference! It's shifts like new! I used genuine Toyota ATF WS oil. It was a comparable price with aftermarket oils!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: P1010083.JPG
Views: 7
Size: 111.0 KB
ID: 64162 Click image for larger version

Name: P1010244.JPG
Views: 7
Size: 88.1 KB
ID: 64170 Click image for larger version

Name: P1010257.JPG
Views: 6
Size: 137.8 KB
ID: 64178

·
Registered
112 Posts
That didn't work, but it,s posted here. #3 RAV4.3 Third Generation (2006-2012 Models) > 4.3 Mechanical > 2011 I4 Tranny Fluid - To Change or Not To Change

·
Registered
263 Posts
exactly what I was looking for. v6 here, but I'm sure for the trans should be very similar.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That didn't work, but it,s posted here. #3 RAV4.3 Third Generation (2006-2012 Models) > 4.3 Mechanical > 2011 I4 Tranny Fluid - To Change or Not To Change
yeah, that's a great way of doing it, but in my case I only have 62000km, so the filter should still be in decent shape and I only plan on doing drain and refills every year, so I at least have 50% the oil that is not broken down by my trailer pulling abuse ;-)

even with a huge oil cooler I still see 235F temps, and the outside weather in canada is not that hot in summer, I can only imagine someone in Texas towing without an after market cooler :surprise

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks James, I've saved your valuable info on my pc. I think my old pc has past it's use-by date! :-(

Posted pics again for kyoo & Octane (and anyone else). After you've drained the trans sump and topped it up etc (see #15 above), you slide that hose clamp up (arrowed) and slide the 'transmission return hose' up, you'll see the 10mm (3/8") spigot, yes some trans oil will leak out of the hose, but don't worry about that, it's dirty oil.
Now shove the copper pipe with attached clear hose up into the return line hose. It's a good snug fit. Have a bucket under this clear hose ready, and get someone to start the car in Neutral (N). Dirty/old trans oil will be pumped out. I took out about 3 litres, that's nearly 3 quarts. Turn off the engine and add the same amount of New Oil to the trans.(down the trans dipstick tube). REPEAT doing this until the oil runs CLEAN. With the engine off, replace the return hose & the hose clamp. Lower the car, check the trans oil level, take it for a drive and check again. You will notice a vast improvement.
Good Luck!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts