Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Need some advice please as someone who's recently moved to Vancouver from Australia. I bought my Rav4 2000 model in August and after zigzagging down a road on the Sunshine Coast on a snowy day decided I should get some better tires (and a sobering introduction to driving in real winter it was, too - I'm from the sunny west in Oz).

I've been quoted over C$900 for four BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/As. What do you think? Fair price, good tires? Bad price, good tires?

I think a well-made all-terrain is a good call. I don't go skiing and snow is rare where I live, so I probably don't need snow tires. That said, I didn't buy the Rav4 to go grocery shopping, and fully intend to put in some miles once I've settled in. Trips to Whistler, Kamloops, and cross border travelling (Alaska) are definitely in the plans.

I feel like the hesitant child dipping its toe into the water. New to SUV driving, new to snow, to ice, and, well, dangerous driving conditions. I'm glad for the slipping experience but truth be told, I'm still a bit shaken. I was very lucky no-one was coming in the opposite direction.

Any advice appreciated. I'd like to feel secure about my car again.

Sheila

·
Registered
986 Posts
That's almost $800 USD for four tires, wow. I don't know the price difference for tires in Canada, but that's double what you would pay here for a good set of tires. I think you should check out some other tire places.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's tax in there and fitting, but yes, it does seem a lot.

Nice owl.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Whenever I'm looking for new tires I always go onto the US web site www.tirerack.com . If you enter the make & model of your vehicle it will list the tires available in the size you need. Then you can compare them based on reviews and ratings given by people who actually own those tires.

The All-Terrain T/A KO is a relatively expensive choice -- the price I see online in 215/70R16 size from www.tiretrends.com , a Vancouver-area online tire retailer, is $161.70/tire, although that still adds up to a lot less than you've been quoted.

If you're going to be doing mostly on-road driving I'm not sure how suitable an A/T tire is. These tires tend to be noisier and squirmier on dry pavement, as a trade-off for their aggressive tread pattern and off-road ability.

Assuming you're open to other suggestions, one tire that has been personally recommended to me by people I know who use it as well as by the tire shop I deal with, is the Michelin LTX M/S. We get snow regularly here and apparently this tire handles it well and still gives you a quiet ride.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I'll check those sites and keep in mind the Michellin option.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd also highly recommend the LTX M/S's for all season driving. They're good in the snow and relatively quiet in the dry, but because they're a light truck tire they have a fairly stiff side wall making for a firm, and some might say harsh ride......didn't bother me!!! They are a hard compound tire and after 80k kms, mine were only half worn. We get a lot more snow than lower mainland BC and they were always more than adequate for conditions.......and excellent in rain with the three centre grooves...."Rain", something you'll get to know there :wink: (Don't feel bad about slipping around........my son in BC says no one out there knows how to drive in snow, they don't get enough of it :roll: )
I got my LTX's at Costco for about $150 cdn ea for my former '98 RAV.
Welcome to Canada (The Great White North) and R4W!!!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out the tire rack website. Really useful. The ratings guide certainly helps. The Michelin LTX M/S and the BFG All-Terrain are pretty close in the listings, a main difference being that the Michelin has better deep snow traction and the BFG better wet traction. According to the tire trends website there isn't much difference in price between the Michelin and the BFGs, the Michelins are $155.54.

Thanks for the tip about the Michelins. Excellent in rain and snow is exactly what I'm after. As for the comment about BC drivers, my neighbour from NB says the same thing!

Canada is indeed the 'Great White North' and I'm looking forward to exploring it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts