Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does the Vapor Canister Filter do? What is it’s exact function?

My broke off at least three days ago, and so far no issues with my 2008 Sport 6 cylinder.

Can I just join the two hose ends together?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi Shaun, this is part of the closed evaporative emissions system, which captures vapours from the fuel in your tank, and releases them when the engine is running. This is a bad problem for the air, and potentially a bad problem for your wallet; you’re likely to see a check engine light soon. There are reports from other members of this part costing several hundred dollars to replace. The good news is that there is apparently another Toyota vehicle that lists a similar/same part for a fraction of the cost. Do an advanced search in 4.3 for EVAP CANISTER. Last I saw this was about 1-2 years ago, but a member did report good results with the alternative part (and it fit!)

Good luck, and please report back. In the meantime if you can rig the ends back onto the canister, you should do so (gorilla tape or similar may work, if you still have the canister).

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
I think it's supposed to filter out the gasoline fumes. You can get an identical filter for a Scion that sells for much less at the Toyota dealer. The filter is mounted below the driver's seat and the one on my 2008 has a metal shield covering it from the front to prevent damage.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The EVAP charcoal canister traps and condenses the gasoline fumes from the tank. The resulting gasoline gets burned in the engine (at various times, controlled by ECU).

The killer of those canisters usually is overfilling the tank. You know, repeated "clicking" of the fuel pump at the end of a tank fill... And no, you can't connect the hoses together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The EVAP charcoal canister traps and condenses the gasoline fumes from the tank. The resulting gasoline gets burned in the engine (at various times, controlled by ECU).

The killer of those canisters usually is overfilling the tank. You know, repeated "clicking" of the fuel pump at the end of a tank fill... And no, you can't connect the hoses together.
It’s not the charcoal canister but a pre filter in the system before the EVAP charcoal canister that is missing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts