Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like to know if there is any videos on the web to show how to replace charcoal canister and to blow out lines for a 07 rav4. the dealer in va. wants 1200.00 to replace canister. the cheapest canister on line so far is 578.00.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I don't have any written instruction or video.
Are you getting check engine light? What kind of code are you getting? How many miles do you have in your car? I don't think the charcoal canister will ever have to be replace at all. I ran some of the older car well pass 200k and never have to replace the charcoal canister. Did you try pulling out the PCV value and either clean them or replace them? Also, you can try doing the seafoam treatment if you have over 60k in your car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRRm7eBjvY

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can fix it by yourself, I having same issue before, I found out using the 05-08 scion tc vapor canister parts will work with Rav4 2006-2008, so far, my rav4 working without any issue and no error codes. you can goto ebay to get the 05-08 scion tc vapor canister parts. you may able to found the manual link from this website. I replace my Charcoal canister only spend around 40 minutes. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,249 Posts
Yeah, what made them say it needed replacement? They need the money? If it set a code I'd just reset it. What's in the lines that needs to be blown out??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I now have this problem with my 08 V6 Limited. Check engine light on, VSC & 4wd now disabled. Dealer tells me it is the canister, and they want over $1k to replace. Also tells me were unable to reset it, so now Im driving without 4wd capablility and VSC. Only 42000km on this turd. The 3yr comprehensive warranty expired x 2months ago. I bought this thing last month.

The canister on my G/Fs 06 Matrix went at 50,000km to the tune of $800.

Going to phone Toyota Canada and ask them specifically how long these things are supposed to last. Of course my question is rhetorical - they last just long enough to see the warranty expire

I'm getting this thing fixed, then sold, and then buying anything other than this grossly overrated company can make

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
thebig_G said:
I now have this problem with my 08 V6 Limited. Check engine light on, VSC & 4wd now disabled. Dealer tells me it is the canister, and they want over $1k to replace. Also tells me were unable to reset it, so now Im driving without 4wd capablility and VSC. Only 42000km on this turd. The 3yr comprehensive warranty expired x 2months ago. I bought this thing last month.

The canister on my G/Fs 06 Matrix went at 50,000km to the tune of $800.

Going to phone Toyota Canada and ask them specifically how long these things are supposed to last. Of course my question is rhetorical - they last just long enough to see the warranty expire

I'm getting this thing fixed, then sold, and then buying anything other than this grossly overrated company can make
Big G,

Demand that the dealer let you see TSB-0046-10 and then let them explain why they should not fix your problem. Toyota knows that this is a BIG problem. Do not take "no" for an answer.

CH

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dreaded CEL, VSC, SKID, EVAP canister problem

You can fix it by yourself, I having same issue before, I found out using the 05-08 scion tc vapor canister parts will work with Rav4 2006-2008, so far, my rav4 working without any issue and no error codes. you can goto ebay to get the 05-08 scion tc vapor canister parts. you may able to found the manual link from this website. I replace my Charcoal canister only spend around 40 minutes. Good luck.
I'm just found this thread and have the dreaded canister disease on my 2007 RAV4 with 57k miles. My mechanic says that I need the whole assembly including a pump, not just the canister. Does that make sense? If I find a Scion canister is that enough or do I need more parts? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I had a check engine light and the mechanic said I needed a new charcoal cannister. I reset the battery and the check engine light went away. I also cleared the code with my code scanner. It has been over a year now the check light has not returned. I may have got the check engine light from over filling gas tank pass the first full click.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on my EVAP canister problem. I found a '07 Scion Tc canister online from a totaled car for $75. My mechanic put it in for $45 and it's been over a week with no check engine lights. Thanks to the posters in this forum for the idea and the advice :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update on my EVAP canister problem. I found a '07 Scion Tc canister online from a totaled car for $75. My mechanic put it in for $45 and it's been over a week with no check engine lights. Thanks to the posters in this forum for the idea and the advice :)
Do you happen to have the EXACT scion/toyota part number? Also, have you had the code come back on in the last 6mo?

Thanks, the part number would really be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you happen to have the EXACT part number for your scion TC canister. It would help those with the same issue out. Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
EVAP error P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419 on your RAV4 2006-2012
My experience lead me to the pump malfunction NOT the canister.I have gotten around to listing some Evap Pumps 90910-14002 for sale on Ebay. Since you cannot buy the Leak detection pump assembly I found the OEM Supplier and got 5 from Japan. use the link to the factory service manuel pics for proper diagnoses. or I could post it here on the forum.

Genuine Toyota RAV4 2006 12 Evap Pump 90910 14002 for Canister 77740 0R010 | eBay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts