Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 4 questions about problems on my Rav4, I hope someone can help.
(1) My central locking has stopped working on my passenger door I now have to lock/unlock it individually using my key. the drivers door an back door still work on central locking, any ideas as to the cause and what I can do to fix it?

(2) My brake warning light keeps flicking on and of, particularly when I accellerate or deccellerate, the pads and shoes are ok and the brake fluid level is ok. Any suggestions anyone.

(3) My radiator fan does not kick in when coolant temp goes up which sometimes causes overheating. Ive checked the fan and that works so I would think it's down to a sensor. How do I prove this and where is it located?

(4) Are my head lights supposed to revert to sidelights when I turn of the ignition or just stay on till I turn them down manually, I'm sure they used to what could be the cause of them not doing so?

My car is a 1995 Rav4 2 litre 3door right hand drive, I am also looking for a workshop manual for a right hand drive if anyone can help.
:?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ill give some of your questions some answers :D

(1) Do you hear the motors winding the locks between lock and unlock when you turn the key (or press the button if remote central). If you dont hear the motors trying to lock or unlock then you have a stuffed locking mecahnism and will have to take the doors apart and replace the unit

(4) The headlights remain "ON" all the time even when you take the key out of the ignition. They DO NOT turn off automatically. You do get the headlight warning beep though once you have taken the key out of the ignition.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. Reed Switch faulty in float --- cost about £60

3. Thermosts (main water not rad fan) faulty --- cost about £15 and not that hard to put on

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Martynhg

Probably a little late for replying to you but will post for reference in the hope it may help someone with the same problem.

We had a problem with our central locking and had the garage fix it. The problem was with the driver's door, it was the only door that would lock and all the others had to be locked manually.

You have a 1995 like ours and the cenral locking is operated by a signal being sent to a sensor/box in a relay in each individual door. The box had to be replaced on the driver's door as it wasn't relaying the signal to lock and unlock the others. Cannot tell you how much as under warranty. For reference the control box to it all is under the dash behind the glovebox (or so the garage tells me, but we didn't trust them to be honest and got the feeling they were fobbing us off). :oops:

Another problem we found after the door was fixed, was that the original remote central locking just didn't work full stop despite the garage telling us the fobs needed new batteries. The garage again tried to fix this but told us no hope, so we bought a Sparkrite top of the range system in a sale for about £50 and had it professionally fitted by a trustworthy garage for £100. From what I have read of the original system, I prefer the new one which has a lot of tricks.

Hope this helps someone. 8)

Mikey

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for your input Mikey.
The problem, for some unknown reason, righted itself after a couple of weeks, though I did give the lock mechanisms a liberal dosing of WD40.
I wil keep your recommendations for future reference.
Many thanks Martyn. :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My pleasure, if it helps someone out, it is all worth it.

Funny you should say that the problem righted itself. Another problem we have now and then is that sometimes the central locking will open and close as many as five times before it settles and actually locks the doors (which has nothing to do with the alarm system itself). A neighbour of ours noticed this and mentioned that his wife's new Jaguar does the same thing and the cure is to literally slam the driver's door shut. He was right, it does put a stop to it for a few months. I presume that the true reason is that perhaps some dirt or something has got in there and it needs a good spray of WD40 like you have done!!! :wink:

Aint RAV life fun....

Mikey

·
Registered
302 Posts
For problem # 2 ..... Isn't there a low level sensor in the master cyclinder ?
If so , this could be what's causing the light to flicker .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts