Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as I blithely extolled the virtues of all the vehicle settings that can be changed by the driver from the infotainment system in another post, I'm now running into an issue myself. I tried changing the door lock settings so that the doors would lock when the car is put into Drive. I also changed the settings so that they don't unlock when the car is put back in Park after driving. Well crap, my car is ignoring all those changes, even though they show up as "set" on the screen. I tried changing things to several other options and no luck. It's sticking with the factory settings. Now what? Am I missing a step or something? Maybe my 2019 Rav4 Adventure hates me or something.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
402 Posts
Just as I blithely extolled the virtues of all the vehicle settings that can be changed by the driver from the infotainment system in another post, I'm now running into an issue myself. I tried changing the door lock settings so that the doors would lock when the car is put into Drive. I also changed the settings so that they don't unlock when the car is put back in Park after driving. Well crap, my car is ignoring all those changes, even though they show up as "set" on the screen. I tried changing things to several other options and no luck. It's sticking with the factory settings. Now what? Am I missing a step or something? Maybe my 2019 Rav4 Adventure hates me or something.
I wasn't able to find much in the manual, but I only glossed over it. I'll keep looking on my end and if I find something I'll post. I sympathize with you - it shouldn't be rocket science.

Vehicle customization (9-2, P. 707)

●When the speed linked door locking function and shift position linked door locking function are both on, the door lock operates as follows.

• If the vehicle is started with all the doors locked, the speed linked door locking function would not operate.

• If the vehicle is started with any door unlocked, the speed linked door lock- ing function will operate.

• When shifting the shift lever to any position other than P, all the doors will be locked.

●When the smart key system is off, the selecting door to unlock cannot be customized.

●When the doors remain closed after unlocking the doors and the auto- matic door lock function is activated, the signals will be generated in accordance with the Operation signal (buzzer) and the Operation signal (emergency flashers) settings.

·
Registered
584 Posts
These changes can be made from the center screen setup.
Did you try to change them through the Toyota app or My-Toyota website?
That usually works if you have connected services...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm changing it from the center infotainment screen with the car running and the doors unlocked. I've tried it 3 times with no effect. Yes, I did read those notes in the manual, but no matter what I set, it stays with the factory default never locking the doors when either moving at a certain speed or shifting to drive and always unlocking the doors when I shift to park. It's just stuck in those 2 modes no matter what the screen says. Any other settings it ignores, even though they are clearly selected and staying that way on the screen. I also am not bothering with the Toyota App. I have Android and it plain sucks trying to use that app, if it works at all and I don't have Connected Services nor do I want to pay for it. As for saving the settings, I assumed they were automatically saved when I left that particular screen, unless I'm missing a step. I shouldn't have to get Techstream or Carista to change things that the manual says can be customized by the driver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm changing it from the center infotainment screen with the car running and the doors unlocked. I've tried it 3 times with no effect. Yes, I did read those notes in the manual, but no matter what I set, it stays with the factory default never locking the doors when either moving at a certain speed or shifting to drive and always unlocking the doors when I shift to park. It's just stuck in those 2 modes no matter what the screen says. Any other settings it ignores, even though they are clearly selected and staying that way on the screen. I also am not bothering with the Toyota App. I have Android and it plain sucks trying to use that app, if it works at all and I don't have Connected Services nor do I want to pay for it. As for saving the settings, I assumed they were automatically saved when I left that particular screen, unless I'm missing a step. I shouldn't have to get Techstream or Carista to change things that the manual says can be customized by the driver.
I changed door lock settings it from the infotainment screen with no issues. I used Carista to change other settings such as smart key window control. The Toyota app is terrible. Definitely will not subscribe after trial. It has not connected since March 20 and I have a service scheduled to take a look. Telephone support with Toyota said it's the communication module in the car whatever that is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. There is a flash or update that will take care of it at the dealer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem. There is a flash or update that will take care of it at the dealer.
Great. Thanks. Unfortunately, I really should wait until the coronavirus kind of dies down to go to the dealer for the update. paid4c4, what year is your Rav4?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Great. Thanks. Unfortunately, I really should wait until the coronavirus kind of dies down to go to the dealer for the update. paid4c4, what year is your Rav4?
Out of curiosity, since these setting are being done through the main display, have you tried pressing and holding the volume knob to cause a reset? Who know, this might work and if it does, then we'll all know :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
@Miku i tried playing with my settings, no problem with settings staying put when I back out of the menu... I did encounter the oddity though where no change occurred when I selected a new option, specifically:

-door unlock setting when shift to P (select, drivers door) - nothing happens
-animation - set to off, I still get the dash and infotainment animation 🤷‍♂️

Not sure if this similar to your issue, but nothing in the manual or entertainment manual elaborates on this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of curiosity, since these setting are being done through the main display, have you tried pressing and holding the volume knob to cause a reset? Who know, this might work and if it does, then we'll all know :)
I'll give that a whirl next time I go out in my Rav4 and let everyone know. I don't go out as much with the virus floating around and only when necessary. At least I've had plenty of time to give it a good bath and thorough detail for once. I've owned it for nearly a year and I never got around to really cleaning the inside of the windshield fer cripes sake. A clean Magic Eraser works wonders on glass too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'll give that a whirl next time I go out in my Rav4 and let everyone know. I don't go out as much with the virus floating around and only when necessary. At least I've had plenty of time to give it a good bath and thorough detail for once. I've owned it for nearly a year and I never got around to really cleaning the inside of the windshield fer cripes sake. A clean Magic Eraser works wonders on glass too.
ISO alcohol meng, life changing 👌🏻

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gads, I've found little swirly marks on the inside of my side windows that even alcohol won't touch. They're permanent. They're really subtle jiggly swirls that almost appear to be some kind of markings from some kind of buffing or machining??? They're at odd crazy angles and don't match the vertical movemen of the glass. You can only see them if you point a strong light at just the right angle with it dark inside the car. Otherwise, I don't see it in the daylight. As for cleaning windshields, the FJ Cruiser and my old Jeep were the easiest to clean since the glass is nearly vertical and easy to reach. Of course the downside is that gravel strikes are more likely to break it too. The Rav4's steep glass makes it a pain with my short arms, so I use my extension cleaning pad. However, my old Subaru was even steeper and harder to reach the bottom, so I''m not complaining.

Oh, and I still haven't gone out in the car yet to try the reset method on the infotainment system. I've been busy getting it good and detailed. I didn't want to drive it until I was done because our Douglas Fir trees are currently poring out tons of pollen, so much that it looks like a yellow dust storm. I'll get to it soon.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, weird. I tried resetting the infotainment system to see if my vehicle setting changes would be retained as per JFox562's suggestion. At first, nothing changed. Then lo and behold when I got home from the store, the doors didn't unlock, as per my new setting. Now I have to see if it locks when I put it in Drive. It seems to have retained at least ONE of my changes after a reset. Stupid car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
May be a dumb question but have you tried disconnecting your battery for at least 30 minutes? I had a lot of issues with various settings when I first bought my '19 XSE and that was the suggested solution. I was skeptical but tried it and it corrected my door lock issue. It also fixed an issue where my rear seat belt indicators would stay on indefinitely. They clear now after about 1 minute. The only settings issue remaining is that the clock switches back to 24 hour mode once in a while.

PSA: be sure to disconnect for at least 30 minutes. My first attempt, I reconnected at the 22 minute mark because I got bored and nothing was fixed. Next attempt was 40 minutes and was successful.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
May be a dumb question but have you tried disconnecting your battery for at least 30 minutes? I had a lot of issues with various settings when I first bought my '19 XSE and that was the suggested solution. I was skeptical but tried it and it corrected my door lock issue. It also fixed an issue where my rear seat belt indicators would stay on indefinitely. They clear now after about 1 minute. The only settings issue remaining is that the clock switches back to 24 hour mode once in a while.

PSA: be sure to disconnect for at least 30 minutes. My first attempt, I reconnected at the 22 minute mark because I got bored and nothing was fixed. Next attempt was 40 minutes and was successful.
Turning the headlights on before disconnecting the battery will knock the voltage to zero immediately instead of waiting for it to gradually fade away. Radio will most likely lose its stations and clock will go too.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll drive it again to see if the other setting has stuck. The "don't unlock the doors when putting it in park" is now working. If not, I'll do a battery reset. Cars are really starting to validate the old saying about rebooting computers: "Get out of the car, run around three times and get back in to see if it works".

1 - 18 of 17 Posts