Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some help here, new member. I have a 2008 with the 4 cyl AWD that developed a shimmy at 60 kph (35 mph) discovered on this site that may have been universals, Toyota dealer replaced the drive shaft ($1200 CDN) along with the rear coupler (warranty, it was leaking) also did the brakes. They replaced rear adjustment arms and did a 4 wheel alignment (also warranty) Left the dealership and got 500 yards and shimmy was still there. Today it went to the tire shop where the last tires where put on, no bad tires, they looked at CV's , checked for a bad bearing, struts etc but all seems fine. Mechanic did say transfer case felt hot. I have also read here about intermediate steering arm wear, could this do it ? It will only shake when you get to 35 and back off the throttle and just feather it, if you power through it to a 100 klicks (60 or so) it won't do it. Toyota "master mechanic Dave" scratching his head LOL. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Great site BTW !!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If it doesn't do it while under power, that eliminates tires/rims/brakes etc. Certainly sounds like a drivetrain issue. Do you feel it in the steering wheel, or the seat? Both?

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
How many miles are on your RAV? Did the tire shop check for wheel balance (wheels should be balanced dynamically rather than statically) and out-of-round tire problems? Was there any service or work which was done on the vehicle immediately before the shimmy developed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely feel it in the front end. Tires and alignment good. The only thing the second mechanic could find was that the transfer case was very hot to the touch......?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No work was done recently. We had tires and brakes done the year before and it just suddenly developed the shake and rattle. Thanks for reading my post !!

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
The shimmy still would seem to be related to a problem with the tires and/or wheels, or as revenuer suggests, a driveline issue. A couple of forum members have said that they had the same sort of problem and when they checked they found that there were loose wheel nuts on one or more wheels, so that could be worth checking even though your tire shop should have checked that when you had your RAV into them again. Have not heard of a transfer case system causing that sort of shimmy and it would seem that if it were the cause it would shortly self-destruct! Perhaps other members have ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it goes away on deceleration and comes back on light acceleration it is likely a worn inner cv joint

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses, taking it back to Toyota in Kenora again. I took the spare off and put it on the drivers side and then did the same for the starboard side. There seemed to be a little less vibration when on the left side but no change on the right. Ironically took it back to the tire dealer and he checked everything but the tires. It is now doing it between 60 and 80 klicks steadily........it's getting worse. Dealer says he will start with tires and go from there. This will be another long day, no loner cars there so I'll be stuck until we come to some conclusion. Wish me luck and I will post whatever happens......thanks again for all your help, eh ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, update. Dealer can find nothing other than he said a lot of vibration is coming from the cross rails on the roof rack and that one was loose. I removed them when I got home and it has reduced the noise in the vehicle and a lot of the vibration, when it was vibrating on the way home you could feel it by placing your hand on the roof liner............I thought we figured it out but even though a lot of the vibration is gone ( who would have thought those 2 little rails would cause so much noise and rattle) but the front end shake at 60kph is still there although somewhat more subdued now. Off to the tire shop now, this time will be strictly tire and wheel check , he says he has some stock toyota rims and tires to try ( I have stock tires but aftermarket rims).............tune in next week, same time same channel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts