Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remembered an old post back on the original RAV4World forums (and surprisingly, text from the thread still Googles), but since it was lost in R4W's database corruption, I was wondering if anyone still recalled the details of that modification.

I finally got tired of the coin-powered nylon snaps and picked up some heavy-duty velcro to do the deed. I popped off that horridly designed battery panel, cut the posts off of all the fasteners, glued each ring and post back in place and affixed small squares of velcro at each of the six original mounting points.

Now here's the rub... I don't recall if someone found thinner strips of velcro than I did -- mine is heavy-duty, all solid plastic, not the standard hook-and-loop type, and also has a small bit of foam backing. Unfortunately, because of the velcro's thickness I've found the battery panel, while quite secure, now rides a good couple millimeters higher than it used to. It's no longer flush with the other panel and the rubber strip doesn't contact the windshield.

Since I had already cut and glued the fixtures, it was too late to turn back, so for now it stays the way it is. Probably not something the casual observer would notice, but *I* know about it and it bothers me -- likely enough to attempt to make it fit better. Luckily, it doesn't appear to create any additional wind noise at highway speeds.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am interested in that old post too. Please can somebody describe it even if the old post is not available. I have no rattles and the only thing that worries me is not being able to access the battery terminals quickly in an emergency. Very bad Toyota, a sure design fault!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I gave up on that battery cover a long time ago. mine is held in by two zip ties, and if the hood is closed the battery cover won't go anywhere. Talk about rigged up.....

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thread is still in Google's cache, but doesn't explain in much detail. "Coop" simply put 1-inch velcro squares at each fastener point like I did, but then he just removed the pins and taped the holes over. He reported that his difference in panel fit was "hardly noticible" which tells me he used thinner velcro than I did.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:CuvXOpQpzZ4J:www.ravworld.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=654+rav4+velcro+battery+cover&hl=en

I'm pretty sure I remember there being a more descriptive thread entry for this though...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, I seem to remember (I think...) a post where the guy used a different type of fastener he bought. He may have posted a photo, too. The one I'm thinking of was not velcro.

I'd like to find that info again.
The battery is a PITA to access quickly, I agree.

RAV on.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slayer said:
Have you tried changing to the battery cover of a 2004-05? I hear they have a panel that easily opens to access the terminals plus their fasteners use a pop-up method to open and not screw type like the 2001-03 Ravs.
Dunno... I still own a 2001! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ejpede said:
Yeah, I seem to remember (I think...) a post where the guy used a different type of fastener he bought. He may have posted a photo, too. The one I'm thinking of was not velcro.

I'd like to find that info again.
The battery is a PITA to access quickly, I agree.

RAV on.
I could maybe see magnetic strips, but that wouldn't work everywhere, and I wouldn't expect it to hold as reliably as Velcro.

G

·
0 Posts
karrock said:
I finally got tired of the coin-powered nylon snaps and picked up some heavy-duty velcro to do the deed. I popped off that horridly designed battery panel, cut the posts off of all the fasteners, glued each ring and post back in place and affixed small squares of velcro at each of the six original mounting points.

Any ideas?

I did this mod after a couple of those cheap nylon snaps broke off.

http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/cowl_fix.htm

·
Registered
771 Posts
Could also install remote battery terminals as a solution and forget about pulling up the cover all together. Just mount the new terminals on the strut towers or somewhere as accesable. Other vehicles have this type of setup with hidden bateries and it works for them. Accesing it every three years or so to replace it is ok but to have to rip everything apart just to jump start it is crazy.

I'm probably going to do the remote terminal thing. I'll keep you posted. Later. M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts