Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got this annoyance with their car. With the fan on 4 or 5, and not on recirculate, I hear this wind noise whistle. Does anyone have this noise with their’s?

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Limited FWD
90 Posts
I don’t have the noise, but if I did, I would start trouble shooting at the outside air inlet. Check for any debris. Next, I would remove the access cover to the cabin filter, and again, check for debris. Remove the filter and check for debris. I would then reinstall the filter access door without the filter in place. Run the fan. If there is no noise, it might be how the filter is mounted or it could be the access door is leaking. If the noise persist, double check the access door is sealing properly. If everything looks OK, reinstall the access door and filter. At this point, the noise is probably downstream of the vent fan. From here it gets time consuming and/or expensive because of the labor to dismantle dash components. The next thing I would check would be the dampers and if they are closing all the way and sealing. Other potential leak points could be any joints or seams in the ducting. So at some point you probably need to ask yourself how much does the noise bother you and to what extent are you willing to go to find it? Good luck finding the problem. I like a quiet vehicle and noise problems drive me nuts.

·
Registered
2020 XLE AWD
1 Posts
Has anyone got this annoyance with their car. With the fan on 4 or 5, and not on recirculate, I hear this wind noise whistle. Does anyone have this noise with their’s?
I also have noticed a slight whistle similar to what you describe. The noise also appears for me at 4 or 5 fan speed (one or two below max speed). I'll check and see whether recirculate effects whether the noise is present for me. Though I only started to notice it in cold temperatures recently where the auto setting naturally tends to turn recirculation off, so I suspect you may be on to something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
3 Years / 36,000 Mile Bumper To Bumper Warranty?
Why Not Use It...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I’ll crack the filters out and check. It’s been there since new so who knows.

·
Registered
2020 TRD Off-Road
13 Posts
Welcome to the club unfortunately. We've talked about this a bit over the past six months, but no one has had any luck coming up with a concrete answer or solution.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tested it again, it does appear that it is only when the A/C when it whistles however when I did try it with A/C on, recirculation off, fan speed 5, it whistled, then turned A/C off and then on again, whistle goes away no matter what settings I did thereafter. There is however a slight ticking noise like someone in the fan motor also but that is very faint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts