Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been looking on the dealer websites and on car guru. There are really very few 2021 models available. Does anyone have an idea when dealerships will be more fully stocked? I’m planning on purchase either the end of the year or in February.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve been looking on the dealer websites and on car guru. They are really very few 2021 models available. Does anyone have an idea when dealerships will be more fully stocked? I’m planning on purchase either the end of the year or in February.
Based on my recent purchase experience I suggest that you actually visit the dealer and sit down with a salesperson and ask to see current and future inventory. You can claim one sight unseen, probably place a deposit--but nothing would be finalized until you decide you want it after it arrives at the dealer. When I purchased my 2021, he pulled up on the computer all those on the lot, those marked "freight" ( in transit) and those ear-marked to that dealer but yet to be assembled. Half of those in transit and yet to be assembled were already sold. I could have "claimed" one of those still available and waited 2-4 weeks. However, on my visit to the dealer there were two on the lot not sold and I happened to really like one of them. So, based on my experience only, the selection for you might be a little limited if you wait for all the Rav4's to be on the lot, since a bunch might be sold prior to arrival. However, maybe in a few months inventory may catch up to demand and there will be plenty to choose from. This I cannot predict!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like it depends a lot on region/color/options you're looking for. Been trying to get an XLE Premium '21 in Washington, Lunar Rock and Black Interior with just weather and I ended up just giving up. Earliest they could get one was January-February. Dealer lied to me and told me it would be a couple weeks to get me to put a down payment down, came back saying they couldn't do it. Had to call Finance Director and demand deposit back. Back to the negotiations with other dealers...

They are legitimately in very high demand still.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got lucky.. I was able to purchase a 21' Hybrid Limited 9/20 build just off the boat from Japan..
I do not have the gas-gauge issue.. dealer filled showed Miles to [email protected] 576. Driven over 100 miles and still shows 450 something until empty.
ONE.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like it depends a lot on region/color/options you're looking for. Been trying to get an XLE Premium '21 in Washington, Lunar Rock and Black Interior with just weather and I ended up just giving up. Earliest they could get one was January-February. Dealer lied to me and told me it would be a couple weeks to get me to put a down payment down, came back saying they couldn't do it. Had to call Finance Director and demand deposit back. Back to the negotiations with other dealers...

They are legitimately in very high demand still.
I’m actually OK with the January February time frame. Perhaps that is when we will see more stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We got lucky. Wife wanted a hybrid and we went to a dealer that showed stock. A Limited arrived 2 hours before we got there. Drove it and liked the color, didn't want to wait 2 weeks for the pano roof and went back the next day with a cashier's check.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid
49 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, and diligently keep up with dealers in your area, I think by February you can get a HY RAV4 - maybe not with all your wishes, but there will be more stock. I ended up ordering one here in Hawaii back in September- just picked it up Nov 7! It was a Japan-built one so it took longer than usual. North America still has much better stock availability compared to Australia according to what I've heard!

In HI, we only have one dealer distributor that doesn't go below MSRP, so paying that price while placing an order was fine for me. If I was in a place where there's actual competition between dealers, then just keep tabs on them and see what shows up.

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for in a RAV4?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I’ve been looking on the dealer websites and on car guru. There are really very few 2021 models available. Does anyone have an idea when dealerships will be more fully stocked? I’m planning on purchase either the end of the year or in February.
Fitmiss,

Are you ok paying MSRP?

If the demand is greater than the supply you will pay MSRP

We purchased our Rav 4 hybrid 2019 in June 2019 just before the new model year.

The salesperson told me he hates Summer for selling because families are thinking about vacations not buying cars.

If you like to negotiate timing is critical and you want to find that month week and day salesmen hate for selling cars.

Our 2019 XLE hybrid was $32,149 MSRP and we settled on $27,900 and the salesman was the person who threw out that price because the month week and day was horrible for selling a car but great for buying a car. 👍

Aug 7, 2021 we purchased a second Rav 4 this time around an SE Prime

Demand was greater than supply $41,667 MSRP and we agreed on $41,000

Normally I would walk away before paying $667 under MSRP but $7,500 federal tax credit sold the car.

I have a good paying job and could afford paying MSRP but I refuse to part with our money without negotiating except groceries and then we use coupons and shop sales.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I got lucky.. I was able to purchase a 21' Hybrid Limited 9/20 build just off the boat from Japan..
I do not have the gas-gauge issue.. dealer filled showed Miles to [email protected] 576. Driven over 100 miles and still shows 450 something until empty. View attachment 158918
Most likely you won't have the fueling issue. However, you should not make this determination based on the first tank. My first tank was the same as yours. Then after a few fill-ups, things went south. Good luck with your 2021.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I do not have the gas-gauge issue.. dealer filled showed Miles to [email protected] 576. Driven over 100 miles and still shows 450 something until empty. View attachment 158918
very attractive
I would ask as part of the sale the dealer runs the test to see if you need a tank

The new tanks were just EPA approved so my guess you have the old tank I am getting replaced tomorrow

Russ

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're not in a hurry, and diligently keep up with dealers in your area, I think by February you can get a HY RAV4 - maybe not with all your wishes, but there will be more stock. I ended up ordering one here in Hawaii back in September- just picked it up Nov 7! It was a Japan-built one so it took longer than usual. North America still has much better stock availability compared to Australia according to what I've heard!

In HI, we only have one dealer distributor that doesn't go below MSRP, so paying that price while placing an order was fine for me. If I was in a place where there's actual competition between dealers, then just keep tabs on them and see what shows up.

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking for in a RAV4?
Limited with tech package, weather package and adaptive headlights if possible in Silver sky with black interior.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see you’re in PA. Have you considered the Baltimore/Washington area? A bunch of us have had luck with a high volume dealer there.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,233 Posts
I see you’re in PA. Have you considered the Baltimore/Washington area? A bunch of us have had luck with a high volume dealer there.

He is referring to Carmax Toyota in Laurel Md. I traveled 350 miles to buy a rare car from them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is referring to Carmax Toyota in Laurel Md. I traveled 350 miles to buy a rare car from them.
Yes, I have considered the Maryland Washington area. I’ve just been looking around to see what’s available. I will soon be a serious buyer but I’m just collecting information at this time.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,233 Posts
The big NOVA dealer is Koons.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yes, I have considered the Maryland Washington area. I’ve just been looking around to see what’s available. I will soon be a serious buyer but I’m just collecting information at this time.
It is sometimes best to purchase the vehicle where you intend to have it serviced. The dealer where you purchased the vehicle is probably more likely to go to bat for you if your vehicle requires a repair that is arguable whether or not it is covered under the warranty. I had this experience when the evap system failed in my previous Rav4. The dealer that was servicing my Rav told me tough luck. Then I went to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and they fought for me to get the repair covered under the warranty. This saved me about $1,000. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts