Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a North American 1997 Rav4. The 4 door model. It's done about 175,000km. I've owned this for about 4 years and thought for an 4 cylinder engine that my mileage would be better than I am getting now.

Currently on a full tank, 50l, I get about 275km. (sorry we Canadians and our damn metric system). Which equates to about 12mpg.

I've changed the upstream O2 sensor (the downsteam one seems to be very difficult to remove, so I don't know if I can change that at the moment). I've tried fuel system cleaner, and even taken it for service where Toyota cleaned the fuel system.

Nothing has helped. When I told Toyota that their fuel system cleaning didn't work, they said that a 12mpg consumption is "normal".

Anyone else have any ideas? My baby seems to be drinking like an alcoholic at the bar at an all inclusive resort.

If I can't fix this, I need to get another car and I really can't afford one. Or the gas for that matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire pressure checked. All fine. Filter is clean. Spark Plug / Wires haven't been checked. Don't think there is a distributor cap. Can check.

Haven't checked any OBD codes. The CEL is not on, will there still be something in the computer?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm.. I will give that a try. Mine is AWD too.

Thanks for the help.. I'll check on it this weekend. Car working day. :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
12 mpg with a 4 cylinder is rather awful (you Canadians are much advanced over the U.S., which persists in using the illogical semi-Imperial system!). I thought that my V6 RAV has been getting terrible mileage in town with mostly very short drives at 14-16 mpg, but it does much better with highway mileage. Any dealership which claims that 12mpg with a 4-cyl engine is "normal" is suspect, unless the car spends a high percentage of its time with the engine idling! . . .

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I looked at the 2000 FSM, and it has a basic (but not super detailed) exploded view of the transfer case. From it, only a ring and pinion gear set appear to be in it (unlike the other make/model's that has lots of LSD parts). So I doubt the fluid change will make a big difference unless ... Mine is due, so I'll do it anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
from my (limited) experience, you should get appr. 500 kms from 50 liters (onroad and moderate speeds)
I would check OBD, too . Maybe your ECU is getting wrong temps from some sensors and so the ECU produces a rich mixture...and you could see that looking at your spark plugs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts