Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2009 base model that came with no remote fob for the doors.
I purchased a flip key on ebay and programmed the key with TechStream.
Everything works ok but I have to be within 1.5 to 2 feet of the door to
get it to work. Standing at the front of the car nothing happens, I have to
be right near the door before it unlocks or locks.
Has anybody come across this before?

Regards
Ken

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,324 Posts
I've never heard of that problem before. Usually the flip keys are just an empty shell. Did it come with the remote transmitter module? You need to test it with a genuine Toyota transmitter module. You can usually get used keys with modules on Ebay for 12 dollars or less. The receiver is in the rear quarter panel. You can see it as a little tan colored plastic box directly above the jack in this photo:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never heard of that problem before. Usually the flip keys are just an empty shell. Did it come with the remote transmitter module? You need to test it with a genuine Toyota transmitter module. You can usually get used keys with modules on Ebay for 12 dollars or less. The receiver is in the rear quarter panel. You can see it as a little tan colored plastic box directly above the jack in this photo:
Yes the flip key was complete with module and chip, I have looked on ebay and the only thing I can find is new key's or the complete ecu, barrel and key but the cost is
over $250. cant seem to find any used modules, but will keep looking.

Maybe the battery is not up to snuff in the new key...I bought a replacement key/transmitter from Amazon and it works just as well as the factory key...
Yes had the same thought and put a brand new battery in it but didnt make any difference. If I cant sort out a used original key I might have to bite the bullet and go to Toyota and pay the big bucks for a key.

Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
you can buy a new uncut factory style key (same shape and design just no toyota logo on it) for about 20 bucks on amazon...has the remote and transponder guts...have a locksmith cut it and use techstream to program it...i did that so my wife has the same type of key as i do and we keep the valet key in the house as a backup...the amazon key works just as good as the stock key...very good range...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gentlemen? My first post on this site so please be kind. Was this vehicle made to be sold in Europe or the US/Japan? Most car remotes use different standards depending on which area. For example, US transmitters mainly run around 315mhz and use FM while European remotes generally use a band around 434mhz and AM. If this is what's going on, you'd probably be able to make a US/Japan remote work from a foot or two away, much like you described. Apparently Australia allows both bands so I haven't a clue which one Toyota might be using there. I suppose you could track this down by comparing Toyota part numbers for the receiver in Australia and the US to see if they're different.

Or it could just be a bad remote...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick Update,
One of our work cars is a 2012 RAV4 so I programmed its key to my car
any yep you guessed it works great. I gave up trying it when it was still locking and unlocking my car when I was about 40ft away. So I'm guessing the key I got of ebay is a cheap knockoff and not an OEM replacement like it was advertised. Have not heard back from the seller and I don’t expect to. So the plan is to find a good key with the correct number on the module (28240) and test it before I get the key cut.
Cheers
Ken

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,324 Posts
See if you can find a used one on Ebay. Doesn't matter if the key has been cut, all you need is the transmitter module. Stick that into your key housing, program it, and you should be good to go. I've bought used keys on Ebay for $12 or less.

·
Registered
98 Posts
See if you can find a used one on Ebay. Doesn't matter if the key has been cut, all you need is the transmitter module. Stick that into your key housing, program it, and you should be good to go. I've bought used keys on Ebay for $12 or less.
I just got two of them on Ebay (new keys with built-in remote), had em cut at the local hardware store, programmed the remotes myself, and then the dealership added them to the vehicle. Total cost per key ended up $35.40 US which was a LOT Less than the approximate $220.00 (PER KEY?) that the dealer quoted. I thought that the Honda dealership was bad but... . :surprise

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.