Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
This is my first prime and first every ev car. Been driving gas guzzlers all my life. mine is prime se. happy with it and the way it goes. I do have a question and hoping someone can tell me if I did wrong or something wrong with my car.

After I purchased I drove around 250 miles on HV mode. The stupid dealer did not give me fully charged. The first 250 miles i loved the car. those dashboard meters that show how much mpg car gives at any point of time that thing shows blue, white and green bars all way up to 80%. the first 250 was in city and more over on freeways i can feel that power that keeps the car go easily when changing lanes or crossing other cars.

After that i took for a 1500 mile drive on highway. I drove upto 650 miles between 60 and 65mph. after 650 miles i drove between 70 and 75 mph till 1000 miles. The first charge I did was at 600 mile as dealer gave me uncharged car and i wanted to break in the engine so I did not charge for first 600 miles. till 1000 miles i did not drive at constant speed but kept varying but never crossed 75. On hills, while merging and ramps I pushed the car and the rev meter did go beyond the lower limit of power mode.

my first tank gave me 570 miles that does not include ev mode as battery has no charge from delivery and drove on Hybrid mode.

Now after 700 mile my car when i start driving it drives only on engine. it does not drive as how it drove in Hybrid mode during first 250 miles where i get additional power from that second electric motor. I keep getting a feeling that the second electric motor which is supposed to support the engine keeps getting skipped. my 1500 trip engine on gas i average 42 mpg that is only gas and I am very happy but it is just that when i start and drive it drives on engine as if that second electric motor does not provide support and the engine gives power as it is 2.5 liter but not as 300 hp with electric motor.

Has anyone noticed this on their cars or maybe it is me. Is it possible to reset something so it goes in hybrid mode and that second electric motor kicks in with power when I drive the car instead of starting on engine? my friend said to not drive for couple days and leave the car charged and it will reset the hybrid system. I did that but only difference I see is when car is at 40 mph or above hybrid mode kicks in and car drives awesome but from 0 to 40 mph car drives on engine only and that second electric motor does not kick in when i want the power between 0 and 40 mph.

sorry for long post. any suggestions, help is always welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you’re in hybrid mode the engine will almost always kick in when accelerating. Thats how the synergy drive works. The computer has decided ice is the most efficient way to accelerate.

If you get the battery charged it will accelerate in EV mode. Also you aren’t going to get full power with the same accelerator position until the computer senses the ice is warmed up. So its going to feel sluggish for a few minutes while it’s cold.

It sounds like your car is fine, I think you’re just getting used to how she behaves. If there was a problem with the hybrid system im certain the car would tell you. Keep driving!

·
Registered
107 Posts
What mode are you in when this lack of power is occurring? EV/HV/Auto/Charge? To get the full power you need to manually select HV mode when you start the car, otherwise it defaults to EV mode.

It doesn't make sense that you're getting good acceleration over 40mph but not 0-40. If you're in HV mode and you floor it, you will peel off and see traction control kick in.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
343 Posts
What happens if you just start it and drive without changing any modes? If the battery is charged, that will start you out in EV mode and the engine should not kick on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What mode are you in when this lack of power is occurring? EV/HV/Auto/Charge? To get the full power you need to manually select HV mode when you start the car, otherwise it defaults to EV mode.

It doesn't make sense that you're getting good acceleration over 40mph but not 0-40. If you're in HV mode and you floor it, you will peel off and see traction control kick in.
I was driving in HV mode. I selected HV and when i floor it the engine rpm goes all the way more than mid-point in power mode on tacometer and it still drives like gasoline version. I do not get that electronic motor push toyota says we get to support the engine and more over engine starts making this big noise like it is struggling. If I do not floor and give gas slowly then it takes it own time to gain power. Am so confused what's wrong with my car.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was driving in HV mode. I selected HV and when i floor it the engine rpm goes all the way more than mid-point in power mode on tacometer and it still drives like gasoline version. I do not get that electronic motor push toyota says we get to support the engine and more over engine starts making this big noise like it is struggling. If I do not floor and give gas slowly then it takes it own time to gain power. Am so confused what's wrong with my car.
Nothing is wrong with your car. If you're in HV mode, the engine will run. Are you looking at the energy monitor screen to determine that the electric motors aren't sending any power while driving?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What happens if you just start it and drive without changing any modes? If the battery is charged, that will start you out in EV mode and the engine should not kick on.
if the battery is charged it drives in EV automatically and drives likes it drives on one electric motor. I know because when i purchased it for first 250 miles i gave light on gas it really ran like that electric motor with engine. I was able to switch between lanes or cross cars with ease and in HV mode. now this is not how it went first 250 miles.

Without battery charged, i also put in auto and the dashboard shows auto and engine is on. even when battery has no charge that second electric motor is supposed to support that engine to gain torque in traffic as per toyota. is it not?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing is wrong with your car. If you're in HV mode, the engine will run. Are you looking at the energy monitor screen to determine that the electric motors aren't sending any power while driving?
They are sending it to the battery that is what that monitor shows on the screen. even then that second electric motor is supposed to assist the engine in gaining torque when i push it. is it not?

currently my battery is charged but I will push the button to drive in HV mode and let me see what it does. will post the results back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They are sending it to the battery that is what that monitor shows on the screen. even then that second electric motor is supposed to assist the engine in gaining torque when i push it. is it not?
It does. Look closer at the energy monitor. You should see yellow arrows coming from the battery to the electric motor and more yellow arrows from the electric motor to the wheels. Something like this:

Wheel Vehicle Gadget Font Personal luxury car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It does. Look closer at the energy monitor. You should see yellow arrows coming from the battery to the electric motor and more yellow arrows from the electric motor to the wheels. Something like this:

View attachment 172833
Thanks. just drove hard around block with HV and Auto. battery is fully charged so it is doing both EV + Auto when I put in Auto mode or HV + EV when I try to put in HV mode. I will try to push it hard after the battery is drained and will let you know. i will also post pictures and video that might help in explaining the issue. I will go out tonight or tomorrow morning and drain the battery. will post back. thanks though for all the help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks. just drove hard around block with HV and Auto. battery is fully charged so it is doing both EV + Auto when I put in Auto mode or HV + EV when I try to put in HV mode. I will try to push it hard after the battery is drained and will let you know. i will also post pictures and video that might help in explaining the issue. I will go out tonight or tomorrow morning and drain the battery. will post back. thanks though for all the help.
Draining the battery should not make any difference because you can't completely drain it. It always keeps a buffer to help the gas engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Draining the battery should not make any difference because you can't completely drain it. It always keeps a buffer to help the gas engine.
its ok. i will drain it till the point the whole engine is on and it drives on HV not EV + HV. bear with me you will see a difference how it goes.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
246 Posts
Return it and buy a Tesla. Sounds like you don't want a hybrid.

Why are you flooring your new car all around town? What's the rush?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's 3 (or 4) modes.

EV mode which the car starts in.
If you press AUTO EV it goes to AUTO EV mode where it stays in EV unless you ask the car for more power (the top half of the POWER section of the gauge).
HV/EV button switches between HV and EV modes, like if you want to save that EV range for later so you switch to hybrid.
And there's CHARGE mode by holding the HV/EV button. Put the car in this mode and it'll drive most like a gas car because the electricity generated doesn't go the electric motor but the battery instead.

I did notice on my first long trip that driving up hills drained the battery down toward the bottom of the blue section and I started to get a lot more engine noise. Feels like pushing it on the hills drained the battery even more and resulted in less electric power.

Drive it in CHARGE mode and you'll appreciate HV mode more.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
Drive modes here;

This will help you understand the amazing Toyota Synergy Drive. Spoiler; Motor Generator 1 & 2 (MG1 & MG2) and the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) are always connected and spinning with or compensating for each other. AMAZING!

Don’t forget the Rear Motor Generator.

See it all in action in a Hybrid;

Enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@Chazz8 Thank you sir for the videos. Explains how hybrid works.

Quick question though. In prime we have front electric motor that outputs 179 hp and 199 lb torque along with 53hp 89lb torque rear electric motor. The front electric motor is it not supposed to give power boost to the engine when engine is running in HV mode? ( here battery is getting charged from engine )

·
Registered
13 Posts
It assists, that's how it's Hybrid. Power can go to the battery and the motor. It's like how you can use your phone while it's plugged in, you are drawing power while charging the battery. Did you try driving in Charge mode to see what it's like to essentially tell the the car to focus on charging the battery instead of assisting with the electric motors?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
597 Posts
They are all spinning/connected together (MG1, MG2, ICE) so the HP is not simply added up to total HP. The system is very complex and the vehicle will adjust an amazing number of input variables to make the synergy drive function in so many configurations (ICE on/off, MG1 & MG2 generating/using power. So when the front electric motor (MG2) is contributing to acceleration/locomotion, the ICE and MG1 have to to kept at at some RPM (because all connected) and they are all getting/giving power from the big traction battery to make the Synergy Drive work it’s magic.

There is a lot of info re; Synergy Drive out on the net with visual presentations that helped me (begin to) understand how it works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts