Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting insanely low MPG on my RAV4 2015 Limited AWD. We're talking 16mpg in the city with light to moderate traffic, and 22mpg on the highway IF I drive in eco mode and am VERY gentle on the gas pedal. Tire pressure is normal. The MPG doesn't get better if I accelerate extremely slowly either.

I took a 20 minute trip around town with just a few traffic lights which made me stop, and I got 16mpg. This was in normal mode.

One thing I did notice is in my real-time MPG gauge, if I accelerate to say 30mph from 0mph under moderate acceleration, the MPG reading drops to as low as 0.8 MPG. Is this normal?

I don't have any warning lights on in the dashboard. The car has a good 11,000 miles on it. It was purchased brand new, not used. Haven't had any other issues with it, and I never had any accidents with it in the past two years.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Are the MPG figures calculated at fillup or as shown on the display? If it's display only, then the units of measure may be wrong in setup, needs to be set at US gallons, not Imperial gallons if you're in the US. I always got at least 20-22MPG around town, driving mildly 24-25MPG, 29-31 on highway in my 2015 AWD Limited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm reading the MPG from the little LCD display near the instrument gauges and the entune fuel consumption info on the infotainment screen. Thanks for the heads up, haven't thought about units. Do you happen to know how to switch the units (or figure out the unit Im currently using)?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
You got me on that, on the 2016 it's done in the MID, but I just checked the 2015 manual and didn't find it, it says units are dependent on region which to me means the dealer has to set it with Techstream, meaning they have to do it. You should let them know of the problem since it's still under warranty. Did you mention the poor fuel economy at the 5000 or 10000 mile service?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
The most accurate method for determining MPG is to fill the gas tank, reset a trip meter to zero, then at next fill-up to divide the miles driven shown on the trip meter by the number of gallons which were needed to refill the tank. Also, the computer-determined dash mileage indicator isn't as accurate as the manual calculation method.

·
Super Moderator
11,499 Posts
The most accurate method for determining MPG is to fill the gas tank, reset a trip meter to zero, then at next fill-up to divide the miles driven shown on the trip meter by the number of gallons which were needed to refill the tank. Also, the computer-determined dash mileage indicator isn't as accurate as the manual calculation method.
THIS ↑↑↑↑↑↑▲▲▲▲^^^^

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, calculating it manually is the only way to really know your gas mileage. The numbers on the dash are just an estimate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm getting insanely low MPG on my RAV4 2015 Limited AWD. We're talking 16mpg in the city with light to moderate traffic, and 22mpg on the highway IF I drive in eco mode and am VERY gentle on the gas pedal. Tire pressure is normal. The MPG doesn't get better if I accelerate extremely slowly either.

I took a 20 minute trip around town with just a few traffic lights which made me stop, and I got 16mpg. This was in normal mode.

One thing I did notice is in my real-time MPG gauge, if I accelerate to say 30mph from 0mph under moderate acceleration, the MPG reading drops to as low as 0.8 MPG. Is this normal?

I don't have any warning lights on in the dashboard. The car has a good 11,000 miles on it. It was purchased brand new, not used. Haven't had any other issues with it, and I never had any accidents with it in the past two years.
Did you ever figure this out? I drove a 2015 AWD Limited the other day and the computer also had 16 MPG average.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
On my 2015 XLE I get the same as rmirmo around town in ECO mode. However, when I get on the highway and accelerate in ECO mode my MPG goes up - go figure. ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I have a 2015 RAV4 Limited and was getting low mileage without using Eco mode. Put in eco mode and filled the gas tank and calculated mpg when filled up again. 19-22 on average.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky. My 2016 RAV4 never gets below 29 mpg (calculated). On a long trip, ~1000 miles, including high mountain driving, it averaged 31 mpg. It never goes out of eco mode and we drive conservatively.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I have a 2015 RAV4 Limited and was getting low mileage without using Eco mode. Put in eco mode and filled the gas tank and calculated mpg when filled up again. 19-22 on average.
Also want to add I am zeroing out the Trip A meter when I fill up and check mileage manually when I fill up again. Maybe because the Rav4 is AWD the gas mileage is low. I also must admit I have a lead foot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would blame the lead foot. Mine is AWD, too. Most of my miles are in the mountains; little in the city.

·
Registered
2017 RAV4 LE AWD
18 Posts
I have been averaging 21-22 around town in 2017 AWD. I would suggest getting a scanner and looking at the live data if you are getting very low mpg numbers. You may have something going on that will show up in your fuel trims but also rule out any of the basic stuff like tire pressure first.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I have 2018 RAV4 Limited AWD. It is getting about 15.4mpg. People will claim there is not a problem. Toyota Dealership will say if No Instrument Cluster ICONS light up, then you have no problem.
However, something is consuming the gas. To have it diagnosed will cost you about $120 and that is just checking things out without replacing any parts.
I am certain that out of the 100K RAV4s made each year that up to 100 RAVs have fuel issues such as poor mileage which Toyota refuses to acknowledge.

Dealer service will tell you to fill the tank reset the Trip meter or other take it on the highway and drive 4 -5- 6 hours and then check what the Readout indicates. They claim MPG goes up and you should get on avg. 26 mpg. The best I have ever gotten was 17 mpg mostly Highway.

Also when the Service Dept check it out, nothing is ever found. They need to put an external device to monitor fuel usage and the RAV4 needs to be driven at least 120 miles.
A computer diagnostic check or them checking for EVAP or some kind of fuel leak does not exist. Truth is, I believe the Fuel Injectors and Engine is bad and they don't want to replace your engine had you had an Extended Warranty.

Really difficult to prove to anyone unless they own and drive the RAV4 , then they will say you were correct, it does get crappy gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
OK, has anyone who is complaining about low MPG's ever service their MAF SENSOR, i.e., remove the square device on top of the plastic hose/tube exiting the AIR FILTER housing and use MAF spray cleaner on it? The other item to clean is the THROTTLE BODY which is at the lower end of the large plastic hose/tube that is attached to the air filter housing (where the MAF SENSOR is located). There is a special cleaner for the THROTTLE BODY also. It's recommended not to use one cleaner for both the MAF SENSOR and the THROTTLE BODY.

I have cleaned the MAF SENSOR on my '15 XLE and it's not a big deal to do. My HWY milage is always better than my CITY milage because of the stop and go driving that I do; I rely soley on the trip computer for my numbers. I'll have to start using the manual method as a check.

Reactions: TJB63
1 - 17 of 17 Posts