Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting insanely low MPG on my RAV4 2015 Limited AWD. We're talking 16mpg in the city with light to moderate traffic, and 22mpg on the highway IF I drive in eco mode and am VERY gentle on the gas pedal. Tire pressure is normal. The MPG doesn't get better if I accelerate extremely slowly either.

I took a 20 minute trip around town with just a few traffic lights which made me stop, and I got 16mpg. This was in normal mode.

One thing I did notice is in my real-time MPG gauge, if I accelerate to say 30mph from 0mph under moderate acceleration, the MPG reading drops to as low as 0.8 MPG. Is this normal?

I don't have any warning lights on in the dashboard. The car has a good 11,000 miles on it. It was purchased brand new, not used. Haven't had any other issues with it, and I never had any accidents with it in the past two years.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Are the MPG figures calculated at fillup or as shown on the display? If it's display only, then the units of measure may be wrong in setup, needs to be set at US gallons, not Imperial gallons if you're in the US. I always got at least 20-22MPG around town, driving mildly 24-25MPG, 29-31 on highway in my 2015 AWD Limited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm reading the MPG from the little LCD display near the instrument gauges and the entune fuel consumption info on the infotainment screen. Thanks for the heads up, haven't thought about units. Do you happen to know how to switch the units (or figure out the unit Im currently using)?

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
You got me on that, on the 2016 it's done in the MID, but I just checked the 2015 manual and didn't find it, it says units are dependent on region which to me means the dealer has to set it with Techstream, meaning they have to do it. You should let them know of the problem since it's still under warranty. Did you mention the poor fuel economy at the 5000 or 10000 mile service?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The most accurate method for determining MPG is to fill the gas tank, reset a trip meter to zero, then at next fill-up to divide the miles driven shown on the trip meter by the number of gallons which were needed to refill the tank. Also, the computer-determined dash mileage indicator isn't as accurate as the manual calculation method.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
The most accurate method for determining MPG is to fill the gas tank, reset a trip meter to zero, then at next fill-up to divide the miles driven shown on the trip meter by the number of gallons which were needed to refill the tank. Also, the computer-determined dash mileage indicator isn't as accurate as the manual calculation method.
THIS ↑↑↑↑↑↑▲▲▲▲^^^^

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, calculating it manually is the only way to really know your gas mileage. The numbers on the dash are just an estimate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm getting insanely low MPG on my RAV4 2015 Limited AWD. We're talking 16mpg in the city with light to moderate traffic, and 22mpg on the highway IF I drive in eco mode and am VERY gentle on the gas pedal. Tire pressure is normal. The MPG doesn't get better if I accelerate extremely slowly either.

I took a 20 minute trip around town with just a few traffic lights which made me stop, and I got 16mpg. This was in normal mode.

One thing I did notice is in my real-time MPG gauge, if I accelerate to say 30mph from 0mph under moderate acceleration, the MPG reading drops to as low as 0.8 MPG. Is this normal?

I don't have any warning lights on in the dashboard. The car has a good 11,000 miles on it. It was purchased brand new, not used. Haven't had any other issues with it, and I never had any accidents with it in the past two years.
Did you ever figure this out? I drove a 2015 AWD Limited the other day and the computer also had 16 MPG average.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
On my 2015 XLE I get the same as rmirmo around town in ECO mode. However, when I get on the highway and accelerate in ECO mode my MPG goes up - go figure. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts