Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

VEVOR L1/L2 15A EVSE

426 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  cdherman
Anyone with experience with this EVSE sold by Amazon.com ?

I needed a second EVSE for the cottage (still at 120V) and liked this because:

1. Cheap
2. Ships to Canada for cheap
3. Seem to do 15A vs 11.7A factory EVSE that charges at - hoping this car reduce overnight charges to 10h
4. Flexibility (with the right adapter) in case I travel with it and come across a 240V plug
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
I don't have experience with the EVSE you have mentioned but I can tell you what I did, as our situations seem similar. Prices quoted below are US dollars.

I picked up a tesla mobile connector. It's their portable charging EVSE which can use any one of a number of wall plug adapters to run on 120v or 240v and at just about any current you could want. These are $200 and come with the wall plugs for NEMA 5-15 and the 14-15 plug that many RVs use. Alternate wall plugs are about $40-50 each and are available for pretty much any plug you can find in north America. I bought the adapter for NEMA 6-20 wall plugs, which allows my Prime SE to charge as quickly as it is able, but you could pick up a NEMA 5-20 plug for use on a 20 amp 120v circuit, which would get you the 10 hour charge time you are looking for.

You will need a Tesla-j1772 adapter. I picked one up from umc-j1772.com for around $150 or $160. The cool part about adapters from this company is that they include a chip that tells public tesla destination chargers that a tesla is plugged in, so you can charge for free. Not all other Tesla-to-j1772 adapters will do that. Some do, but not all.

In the end, I paid $400 including shipping for my setup, which allows me to do level 1 charging or level 2, and to utilize both standard 120v wall plugs (15amp standard, but 20 amp plug adapter available for $45) and 240v wall plugs that provide higher current. There are warranties from well established companies for everything I bought, too, vs whatever roll of the dice one takes with amazon purchases.

Anyway, this is an option you may not have been aware of. Hopefully the info helps.

· Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
382 Posts
Wow, folks look at the prices for those EVSE. I have some other Vevor stuff. Its all chinese, but the stuff I have seems to work. Those prices are insane low, if the product does not fail!

Buy one, use the crap out of it for 30 days, cause from Amazon you can send it back if it dies. The listing is a little vague. The description of the 15A, shows 16A. And in the specs, it shows 240 ONLY. Heck, I might buy one for $81 just out of curiosity (YES FOLKS THATS WHAT THE CHEAPEST UNIT IS SELLING FOR)

In my experience, if electronics works after being used regularly for a few weeks, it usually works for years. You have become the tester. Thanks to Amazon, no risk.

More: Vevor sells direct to consumer too, often at a lower price. But in the case of the cheepest, not so. $129 from Vevor

Vevor unit

Folks, if you are needing a spare, I'd grab one of these cheepos off Amazon today. I think it may be one of those amazon "whoops" moments. If it loses its magic white smoke in the first 30 days, you can send it back.

· Registered
10 Posts
I needed a second EVSE for the cottage (still at 120V) and liked this because:

3. Seem to do 15A vs 11.7A factory EVSE that charges at - hoping this car reduce overnight charges to 10h
From my testing (2022 model in US), you should not expect to be able to charge at 120v at any current above 12amps.

It appears that the vehicle itself limits to ~12amps if the vehicle detects it is being supplied 120v.

Testing with photos (using a different cheap amazon charger.) Has anyone upgraded their OEM level 1 charger to a 16...

Otherwise, I am totally of the opinion that a more expensive (or 50 amp, etc) charger isn't worth it unless there is a plausible use case in the near future. I went with cheap amazon and added my own smart switch and power monitoring instead of buying an expensive charger.

· Registered
378 Posts
Interesting. Our Prime is on the way (March). We have a NEMA 14-30R, 250V/30A outlet in our garage - the previous owner installed it for a 240V heater. It looks like I could get a 14-30 to 14-50 socket adapter and the higher-end Vevor unit (UL approved, 32 Amp 110-240V, 10/16/20/24/32A Adjustable) for a total under $300 and be able to charge at a decent Level 2 speed at home and have it as a spare for Level 1.

· Registered
829 Posts
You only have 30 amps available at the outlet
Why get an adapter to go to 50 AMPS??? not safe.
Why get an EV charger for 32 AMPS, when you only have 30 AMPS??

Lots of bad ideas......

Your 30 AMP outlet can safely output 24 AMPS..

I have same outlet as you. I got the:

If you want the cheaper VEVOR, get this one:

You just have to change the Outlet or get this adapter:

The 6.6KW charger in your prime will use 27AMPS, Maximum
6600/240=27.5

So using the 24 AMP EVSE will be just right for your car...

I use the 24 AMP Splitvolt on my 3.3 KW Prime charger, I only use 14 Amps out of the 24 AMP at the outlet
( My son charges his Tesla when he visits, and he can use all of the 24 Amps from the Outlet and EVSE

Best advise is to get the longer cord..

I got the 16 foot cable initially......
and returned it for the longer 24 foot cord.

· Registered
378 Posts
You only have 30 amps available at the outlet
Why get an adapter to go to 50 AMPS??? not safe.
Why get an EV charger for 32 AMPS, when you only have 30 AMPS??

Lots of bad ideas......

Your 30 AMP outlet can safely output 24 AMPS..
The higher current one is settable to 10, 16, 20, 24, or 32A. Buying it and setting it to 24V will give me something I can use if I every upgrade my outlet (the breaker is rated at 40W) and we get a vehicle that can take the 32A.

· Registered
829 Posts
The higher current one is settable to 10, 16, 20, 24, or 32A. Buying it and setting it to 24V will give me something I can use if I every upgrade my outlet (the breaker is rated at 40W) and we get a vehicle that can take the 32A.
Sounds like a plan.
If you upgrade the Breaker, make sure the wire size is correct.
40 Amp breaker is great, but the wires in the wall may be for the 30 AMP breaker.

· Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
382 Posts
Whoops, price just went up to $103 for the base unit on Amazon. Mine for$83 came today. Looks OK. Suspect the 15A and 16A are identical, except for included adapters. The 15A amazon offering has no 240v plug adaptors. I will make one up tomorrow and see how it fares. At $100 or or so, its still a good price point for a 16A 240vEVSE/ Nice to just be able to leave at a vacation home etc.

EVSE equipment is a kind of evolving area. I used to value big heavy clables. But they get really hard in cold weather. etc etc. I suspect this area is trending towards the value of the metals. You cannot make an EVSE with copper cables under about $xxx depending on copper pricing.

· Registered
382 Posts
I've been charging my Leaf and RAV4 every day with the little Vevor charger. Working like a champ on 240v. A little hard to determine exactly how fast its charging, as I cannot measure 240v consumption with my Kill-A-Watt meter. Does appear to be a 15A unit. Says that in the literature and on the back of the EVSE. But that gets you 3600 watts, which is totally good for overnight charging.

I may just eBay my OEM Toyota EVSE. Prices on eBay are outlandish for an original charger -- $399 and up. I assume this is for the occasional leased vehicle that the original has been damaged or stolen and the lessee needs to replace. Why anyone would pay that otherwise, makes no sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts