Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsin aroudn the internet lastnight, and foudn out that Vibrant Performance sells what they say is a true cold air intake for the 96-00 RAV. I jsut mailed them to find out if it true or not, like if its jsut another short ram intake like all the others on ebay, etc.

But after searching more, a lot of the sites that carry RAV4 products now carry the intake, lowest was 52$ shipped, thinking abotu ordering it and trying it for myself, what do you think? I know ill be gettign a good quality product, ive got vibrant products on my WRX, but theyve never made intakes before, so their intake system quality is unknown....

·
Registered
682 Posts
no one actually makes a true cai for the rav4. most cais on ravs have been made by their owners. there are lots of short ram intakes out there for the rav but all will result in loss of power.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Open pod filter exposed to hot engine bay air means less power. I used to have a short ram air intake which sounded mad but lost power. I modified it into a cai and got the power back along with better looks :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sam

Our Rav4 intake is a short ram style. We don't feel a cold air intake is the best choice for this car.
Thanks

Dino Rossi
Vibrant Performance
www.vibrantperformance.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:02 PM
To: Dino Jr. Rossi
Subject: Streetflow Intake

Hey, I was browsing aroudn the other day and I noticed that yoru company sells an air intake system for the 96-00 Toyota RAV4. What I wanted to know is if this is a true cold air intake, or is it a short-ram style intake that puts the filter right behind the headlight? Thanks for any help.

Read the bold. Since when was a CAI not good for a car?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The Drifter said:
Hi Sam

Our RAV4 intake is a short ram style. We don't feel a cold air intake is the best choice for this car.
Thanks

Dino Rossi
Vibrant Performance
www.vibrantperformance.com
Let's re-word that:

Hi Sam

Our RAV4 intake is a short ram style. We don't feel a cold air intake is the best choice for this car because we were too lazy to engineer a system that will not sell well in the enthusiast market. Sorry, your RAV is not considered cold-air intake worthy! :lol:

T

·
0 Posts
Mohit said:
Open pod filter exposed to hot engine bay air means less power. I used to have a short ram air intake which sounded mad but lost power. I modified it into a cai and got the power back along with better looks :)
i feel you are pretty much off on this, how would a short ram intake result in loss of power if:

A. Is a shorter pipe more direct to the intake manifold.
B. better flowing filter.
C. less heat because it no longer seats on top of the head.

T

·
0 Posts
btw, i have had both setups on my rav both cold air intakes and ram air...... and for low end torque and performance a short ram is better

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure you know what yoru saying?

On the RAV4.1 the air box is located right beind the left headlight, with a port that lets in air from aroudn the bumper, and is also made of a heat resistant plastic to sheild the filter from the heat radiating from the headers.

Now when you install a short-ram intake, all this does is place a fully exposed cone filter where the old airbox used to be. Yes, you are right that since it does flow better than the stock airbox, but since the filter is exposed ,it sucks in the hot air thats trapped under the hood.

Now that I thoguth more abotu it, mohit is right, even tho it flows better, it wont make up for all the hot air that it will be sucking in, unless you find a way to vent cold air to it (i.e. a ram air kit, or venting the small piece of metal under the headlight) And even then, youd have to install a heat shield for it to work properly.

Now see, with a CAI like a lot of people on here have done, they made it so that the filter is down lower behidn the bumper, in the air stream, and far as possible away from the headers and block, which will produce more HP than the same filter sucking in hot air from the engine bay. See, shorter isnt always better.

T

·
0 Posts
The Drifter said:
You sure you know what yoru saying?

On the RAV4.1 the air box is located right beind the left headlight, with a port that lets in air from aroudn the bumper, and is also made of a heat resistant plastic to sheild the filter from the heat radiating from the headers.

Now when you install a short-ram intake, all this does is place a fully exposed cone filter where the old airbox used to be. Yes, you are right that since it does flow better than the stock airbox, but since the filter is exposed ,it sucks in the hot air thats trapped under the hood.

Now that I thoguth more abotu it, mohit is right, even tho it flows better, it wont make up for all the hot air that it will be sucking in, unless you find a way to vent cold air to it (i.e. a ram air kit, or venting the small piece of metal under the headlight) And even then, youd have to install a heat shield for it to work properly.

Now see, with a CAI like a lot of people on here have done, they made it so that the filter is down lower behidn the bumper, in the air stream, and far as possible away from the headers and block, which will produce more HP than the same filter sucking in hot air from the engine bay. See, shorter isnt always better.
i drive a 4.2 so the airbox was on the top.... either way, the longer the tube the longer the distance the air has to travel through the hotter the tube will get the less torque you'll have due to the distance

·
Registered
682 Posts
Shorty, i would have to say you're incorrect. I don't have a 4.2 so i don't know what works best on one of those but it's been proven by many people with a 4.1 that a short ram intake is not good for it (and i'm speaking from experince as well).

Just because the tube is longer on a cai in a 4.1 doesn't mean the power decreases as compared to a short ram intake. A real cold air intake is the key (ie shielded filter with cold air running up to it from down low). here are some pics of my old and current setup:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think I will add one of those electric superchargers....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D

T

·
0 Posts
can someone show me a pic of the 4.1 stock airbox.....

btw im not sayin CAI inst better then Short Ram, im sayin, the rav (at least the 4.2) benefits more from a properly done short ram then a cold air because the rav4 will benefit better from and INCREASE IN TORQUE ( which a short ram provides more off then a cold air) the from top horsepower (cai gives you more top horsepower then short ram).

due to the arodynamics of the rav you wouldnt benefit that much from top end horsepower due to the fact that it takes forever and a day to get to the top of the power band.... personally on this car i prefer more torque then hp (i love to launch out the hole when i race)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts